passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I'd love to see a remake of The Legend of Dragoon.

The original is one of my favourite games on the PS1, and although it still holds up pretty well there are a few changes that could be made to make it even better.

Obviously there's graphics and sound, but I'd like to see a tweaked combat system and the option to turn off transformation animations and spell animations as they go on for far too long.

A Parasite Eve remake makes sense to me. If Kitase is to be believed it is the byproduct of a discarded concept for FFVII where it would involve you playing a detective in New York city, investigating Mako Reactors (or something like this, there is a bit more detail out there on a polygon history of FFVII's development).

But you can sort of see the blueprint of Midgar in how it's designed, and how so many of its character archetypes map to those in FFVII. How mitochondria is like the Jenova of the plot. You could remake that entire game without the concessions that Square had to make for FFVII, where Midgar was only a tiny part of the story. PE was only something like 8 hours long I think.

Also it might help to rehabilitate the brand a bit. I never played Third Birthday but didn't hear good things about it.

35 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

You could remake that entire game without the concessions that Square had to make for FFVII, where Midgar was only a tiny part of the story.

? A design choice isn't a concession. By the same token, Kakariko Village is commonly the only inhabited settlement in Legend of Zelda, due to plot. 

But yes, Parasite Eve could do with a facelift. Square tried to ape RE and it doesn't quite work. The first game is a little full of itself/convoluted. Given the fact it is a video game sequel to a novel, that is to be expected. They could play around with the restricted time limit of the original game, amp up the looming dread ala Majora's Masks 3 day cycle. Making it a lot less linear too, wouldn't hurt.

acod_screen_navalboarding_1538388601-49ab.jpg

GameCentral readers reveal what games they’ve been playing most this year, from Animal Crossing to Nioh.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Iceman, who asked what game have you racked up the most hours on so far and why? Is it something to do with the coronavirus lockdown or would you have played it that much anyway?

As you’d expect, the lockdown did influence a lot of the answers, with many people either replaying favourite games or finally getting round to one they’d never had time for before. Although there were also a lot of mentions for games as a service titles like Apex Legends and Overwatch.

I’ve been using this time to play a variety of games and clear some backlog rather than play one game for an mad amount of hours. Rare a game ever captures me like that anyway but I digress. So far I’ve spent the most amount of time on Battle Chasers Nightway. Great game, it’s a classic JRPG mixed with Diablo and I loved it. Spent about 50+ hours on it. But it’s the longest I’ve played a game due it to being the longest game I’ve played during this time so is here by default really. I was doing everything as well because I liked it so much. Otherwise it’s probably a 30-40 hour game. 

Dark Souls Remastered is the first game I've played in months. No idea on the hour count. That said, I've logged over 1000 hours in Binding of Isaac. I doubt I'll ever get another game that will surpass it now.

On 25/04/2020 at 12:29, DANGERMAN said:

I've seen the Parasite Eve film, it's one of the worst films I've ever seen. At least one of the House of the Dead films is better

I played half of Parasite Eve 2 (PS1) - I bought it new from Choices video shop (pre Blockbuster) and it came on 2 discs. Unfortunately when I got on to disc 2 it was already scratched to fcck and wouldn't play (the same old thing of discs in a drawer behind the counter, rather than sealed in case).

When I took it back I first had a debate with the shop manager as to why I was returning it 4 weeks or so after purchase (never really thought to check the discs at the time, since it was new), and, unsurprisingly, since it was a reasonably small video games section, they had no replacement - so just gave me shop credit. 

It seemed strange that PE2 got a UK release, when PE didn't.

A few years later, after umpteen hours of gameplay, I had the delight of the disc 4 read error on Lost Odyssey (360) - albeit fortunately the hot water fix resolved that one.

7 minutes ago, Nag said:

Yeah, I went through the whole Lost Odyssey forth disc thing too... glue from the envelope they'd used wasn't it?

Yep, something like that - funny but after the PE2 incident I'd made a point of checking all discs whenever I bought a game, and of course, disc 4 looked absolutely fine.

sei_28526527-471a.jpg

GameCentral readers name the films and TV shows they think should be turned into video games, from Die Hard to Sharpe.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Grackle, who, inspired by the recent Predator: Hunting Grounds, asked what movie or other licensed property do you think would work well as a video game?

A lot of the suggestions have already been games at some point, especially in the 80s and 90s, but there was still a great desire to see definitive versions of films like The Terminator and RoboCop, as well as newer franchises like Fast & Furious.

Pretty certain this is a rerun of a previous question.

I'd like to see them do something with the Universal Monsters and/or the non-Cthulhu mythos part of HP Lovecraft's work. For the UM, obviously a lazy option would be an episodic, Tell-Tale Like game. But maybe even a horror version of a crossover like Kingdom Hearts? 

For Lovecraft, the Cthulhu mythos has lent itself to some action orientated games. However, others such as The Outsider or The Cats of Ulthar could easily be adapted to the psychological horror route. Akin to Silent Hill or Forbidden Siren.