passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Blitzball is weird cause from a story perspective it actually fits that the Aurochs get clobbered in that game. But it's highly offputting that they introduce you to it with the actual hardest match you will ever have to do

But it's one of those kinda 'replay fodder' things, something to look forward to rectifying in another timeline on a future playthrough. But I always saw it as canon that you lose. It's the Asylum demon design basically 

It's more about building a team anyway, it's in some regards better designed in FFX-2 where they straight up just turn it into a lite management sim. I found that more boring though (yes I'm a blitzball pervert)

DEATH TANK ZWEI - one of the best games on saturn was a hidden mini game type thing, you had to have duke nukem and a quake save iirc to unlock it. its like a real time single screen worms for upto 7 players.

geometry wars too, the first one was a minigame in pgr2, and theres a different version in pgr4

Geometry Wars is a great pick. Says a lot when the minigame has such staying power that it gets its own standalone release. They didn't even have to reinvent the rules like CDP did with Gwent.

41 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

I think the only ones I remember playing a lot are the battle arena mode from Mario Kart 64 and those mini-games from Pokémon Stadium; the Lickitung one especially.

I was thinking about those, too. I liked the one where you had to sing as Clefairy and got bumped on the head if you messed up.

26 minutes ago, spatular said:

DEATH TANK ZWEI - one of the best games on saturn was a hidden mini game type thing, you had to have duke nukem and a quake save iirc to unlock it. its like a real time single screen worms for upto 7 players.

geometry wars too, the first one was a minigame in pgr2, and theres a different version in pgr4

Yeah, I was trying to think of something, but it's this. Great game 

I think Pazaak is the only card game I've ever enjoyed. That needs a shout out because generally I fucking hate card games as a rule.

My favourite mini game though is the drug dealing game in China Town Wars. That's what I'm talking about. That was the good shit.

On 05/05/2024 at 11:02, Maryokutai said:

I'll never understand how Blitzball got so popular, for me the part where you're forced to play it is easily the worst one of the game.

Fun story: My cousin openly dislikes RPG's. But was absorbed by Blitzball. At the part in FFX where the mini game is fully open to you. He borrowed the game from me and amassed hours in it. Nice that I benefitted from the rewards too!

As far as favourite mini games go, I'd probably go with Chocobo Hot & Cold from FF9. There's something about it that still makes it one of the first things I think about when the game comes to mind.

Forced card games I would put in the negative though. Triple Triad, Tetra Master, Queens Blood etc When it's not a part of the regular game's mechanics. Don't make me have to play it.

I spent a lot of time in Blitzball too... Wakkas Ultimate weapon is tied to it in any case.

44 minutes ago, Nag said:

I spent a lot of time in Blitzball too... Wakkas Ultimate weapon is tied to it in any case.

Yep. I did thank my cousin for that. Blitzball was far from the worst mini game of FFX, after all...

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

The one I really fell down the rabbit hole with was Chocobo racing/breeding in FF7. Aside from Knights of the Round. It isn't really worthwhile (The HP/MP swap Materia still baffles me by it's existence?). But it was very compelling.

As I started playing Rebirth again, I decided to finally try the sit up minigame

Oh man, wtf

The PC version will fix it anyway, I had a cheat engine script for Remake which made every pull up count for 100. 999 pullups in a minute, try and beat that Jules

^I haven't seen that at all? So I assume it's either something beyond Corel or I missed it? No great loss as it wasn't exactly thrilling in the original.

ico-e1413585205453.jpeg

GameCentral readers debate the ideal length of time for a game’s story campaign, and whether a game can really be too long.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox follows the controversy over Alien Isolation and whether it and other games are simply too long. So we wanted to know what you thought was the ideal length for a single-player game and what titles got it right or wrong.

Although it does seem odd to argue for a shorter running time many readers could name more than one game that had outstayed its welcome, including Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow and Zelda: Twilight Princess. While others named ICO and Batman: Arkham Asylum as perfectly judged shorter games.

JRPGs - 20- 40 hours 

Everything else - 8-15 hours. Anymore than that is boring filler. 

95% of the time I’m ready for a game to end well before it actually does. None really leave me wanting to play more anymore if they’re above 10 hours.

Yeah it has nothing to do with hour count, really. I remember thinking GoW 2018 was super well paced, and that game is really long. 

That said, 20 hours for a JRPG sounds way too short imo unless we're talking 16bit era. That said, give Parasite Eve a gander

I think a couple of years ago, after Last of Us 2 and God of War 2 I think the general consensus was that games needed to be shorter. Spiderman 2 is another, Sony games did seem to be getting too long. 

Personally I feel like you could give me a 4 hour game and I'd make it take 8 at the minute, everything seems to be taking me ages. I'm not against short games though, 8 hours is fine, so long as it's paced well as Maf says (same if its 80), 8 hours and 3 of that is cutscenes and tutorials, nah 

Yeah i think this is pretty subjective, and different for different games, and depends what sort of mood im in etc. but generally i prefer shorter games. Like i really like some of the persona games and recently unicorn overlord, theyre over 100 hours, but still think id prefer if they were shorter. And like DANGERMAN says i think i take longer than some people on this stuff as ive heard people complete persona games in 70 hours.

twilight princess as mentioned in the question is an interesting one for me as i usually think 90 hour games (iirc thats how long it took me) are too long, but maybe the timing playing it at xmas when i was off work and/or maybe i was in the mood for it or maybe its just amazing but thats one of my favorite games i think its amazing and did not think it was too long at all, maybe if i played it now id think differently, hard to say.

Also shmups should be less than 30 mins.

Apart from the first 30 minutes which has the player herding sheep, Twilight Princess is a great game. But a combination of Wii backlash ( 🤔 ) and also it being the 4th Zelda game in a row to adhere so strictly to the Ocarina of Time formula I think carried forward this sense of going on too long. The game has a lot of new ideas in a game that wasn't new at all 

That game's great, though. The Beyblade Sky Temple and dragon boss fight is sick