passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

12 minutes ago, radiofloyd said:

Not strictly a “licensed property” but I’d love to see a good Tour de France game.

You know those games already exist, right? They come out every year. Have done for a few years now.

2 minutes ago, Rikzilla said:

You know those games already exist, right? They come out every year. Have done for a few years now.

Pro Cycling Manager looks interesting but “published by BigBen” makes me apprehensive lol. I see there is an upcoming Tour de France 2020 game though. 

26 minutes ago, Rikzilla said:

There's a Le Tour De France 2019 out now, and they go back to 2015 I think.

He said good. I believe they’re notoriously garbage.

Ummm Videodrome, Running Man annnnnnd it's a mad mad mad mad world.

Running Man, technically had a video game. The book did at least, in Manhunt. It was as vague a comparative adaptation as the 80's film to the book, but it did have a lot in common.

I have no idea what kind of genre it would be but a Godzilla game based on the modern films would be cool.

Or a good Pacific Rim game.

I second the Godzilla game.

There are a lot of Godzilla games already, but I'd love one that was like Sim City. So you build your city and then Godzilla fights a monster and trashes it, so you have to rebuild, but you only have a certain amount of time before the next attack.

The more people working in your city, the more money your city gets so you can add defenses to it.

Your incentive would be to make sure the fight is over ASAP, so installing anti-aircraft missile launchers to fire at the monsters, or installing a nuclear powerplant so Godzilla can absorb it and use his "fuck you and your mum" attack earlier and get the fight over with. But then you'll be without nuclear power for a while, so that will set the city back, so is it worth installing one for a shirt term boost??

I don't like sim games, I get bored and start killing everyone, so my incentive would be to rebuild the city and get as many people in as possible so G and the Boyz have more lives to destroy.

Looking through old ps2 games I have the 24 game which I’ve never played, guess I could play that. Never really think about tv stuff I’d want to play a game of, probably because they usually aren’t very good.

There have been a couple of Avatar games but I'd really love to see an Avatar fighting game at some point. Ideally with the production values of the recent arc system games and obviously being based on both Airbender and Korra for a nice and diverse roster.

I'm also slightly ... annoyed (?) that we didn't get any proper superhero games for most of these movies that came out. It's about time Wonder Woman got a proper quality game IMO.

halo-combat-evolved-wallpaper.jpg

GameCentral readers name the best and worst console launch games, from the classic Zelda: Breath Of The Wild to the PS2’s The Bouncer.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Traxxus and wasn’t necessarily about the launch game that you like the most but the one that left the biggest impression, either good or bad.

There were lots of Super Mario games mentioned, as you’d imagine, and also lots of Halo, but also a lot of amused mentions of Knack, proving that it’s not always the good games that you remember the most.

Mario 64 hands down for best. Worst tho ? I’ve never had the means to buy more than one launch game so I wouldn’t then buy a poorly reviewed game weeks later.

Apparently Perfect Dark Zero and Sonic Adventure were launch titles and I’ve played them. Both hot garbage. 

Biggest impression for me? Probably Project Gotham Racing 3. Some outside reasons contributed to it - 1st new console I saved up for and bought myself and had a new HD TV at the same time. Seeing it for the first time in all its HD glory absolutely blew me away. The way the colours popped, the clarity and detail of the graphics and the OTT lighting bloom as you exit a tunnel. I remember it vividly. I remember thinking we’d surpassed Toy Story level of graphical quality in gaming now. Helped that it played brilliantly too on a amazing new pad which instantly felt right. 

Shame the game was lacking in content, especially compared to 2. But I was willing to forgive it just because it was so mind blowing to me. 

Close runner up would be Rogue Squadron 2 on the GameCube. I remember that being ridiculously impressive looking too but I didn’t get a GameCube at launch so only going off screenshots, trailers and seeing it in Gamestation. But the fact it left such a memorable impression even though I didn’t own it for a good while after launch speaks volumes I think. 

As for bad impressions? Not really got any. If I had a console at launch I’d always forgive lots of flaws just for the newness and flashy graphics. However, if we talk about launch games I’ve played later, Halo left easily the worst impression for me. I didn’t have it at launch but I bought a OG Xbox a year or 2 (not sure on time but it was well before Halo 2) after and got Halo for it. I tried to like it but my God I thought it was genuinely bad. Didn’t understand the hype at all and thought it was so boring and didn’t really do anything special. I actively hated it once the flood turned up and during the library level. I remember the multiplayer being nowhere near as fun as Perfect Dark and Timesplitters for me either. Controversial I know but I stand by it (I’ve not played PD since I’m guessing it doesn’t hold up). Tried Halo again on the MCC on Xbox One and still think it’s boring and easily the worst of the first 3 and ODST. Not played 4 onwards.