passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Bit of a needless dig this one considering, but Dragon Quest 6. It's really boring, aimless, and overly long. It's essentially just the bit of Dragon Quest games where you walk around lost but gain some levels, but for 80 hours. It's a particular shame because 5 is one of my favourite games, and what I played of 7 is fairly interesting 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Alexa, how do I enable negs for one user on Invision powerboard forums.

It's the only Final Fantasy game I've played that I didn't finish, that in itself says enough for me... on a scale of boring it's tied with Assassin's Creed 3.

@Blakey saying Gears 3 and 5 are the disappointments is crazy talk. Gears 5 is the best Gears game any studio has ever made.

Well, at least for the campaign I’ve never liked the multiplayer in the series.

Gears 4 or Judgemental are easily the weak links for these games

Gears 5 has everything going for it. Best story, character drama, boss battles (bar the first 1), diverse levels, new ideas like open-ish hub sections, a really great character who at first you think is going to be annoying but comes around in a really surprising way. Best weapons, almost too many good weapons. They bought back the horror-ish elements they abandoned after Gears 1 which helps mix up the tone, and the combat is as good as ever. Throw on top technical proficiencies like HDR and 60fps and what not. 

I can’t speak to multi or co-op side of things but the campaign is banging. 

It’s not like they reinvented Gears of anything but they just done it better than anyone has ever done it. Not a joke, my only complaint is I wish there was more. 

Does it have 4 player co-op the whole way through cause I'd figured it's a good game for some sort of MFG session or something.

I mean I'm pretty bad at Gears and I'd be watching cutscenes probably but maybe the game is more fun like that. I wasn't impressed by the little bit I saw. Gears has just completely lost any sense of feedback since Epic were in charge and the new characters just seem very dull.

I'm not sure they've done 4 player co-op since 3 (or maybe Judgment)... but yeah, saying 3 and 5 are the worst is just plain wrong, they're probably the best by far.

Mind you, Halo 4 and RotTR are also shoddy picks.?

1 hour ago, Maf said:

@Blakey saying Gears 3 and 5 are the disappointments is crazy talk. Gears 5 is the best Gears game any studio has ever made.

Well, at least for the campaign I’ve never liked the multiplayer in the series.

Gears 4 or Judgemental are easily the weak links for these games

I really liked Gears 1, 2 and 4 because I played through in co op with friends. 3 and 5 I tried playing on my own or with randoms and I just hate Gears' campaigns on my own and with randoms its annoying unless you get a good group and stick with them, could never find the right game at the right chapter without waiting 30 mins + so I simply lost interest in 5. 

Going to mention a few franchises that haven't popped up yet:

- Metroid

Other M - It's not a complete catastrophe but pretty close. There's some fun to be had with its combat, which even prompted me to go through hard mode (limiting you to one life canister) but everything that makes a Metroid game a Metroid isn't either in there or doesn't work. There's no need for backtracking, no sense of isolation and both the game and narrative steer you from start to finish. I also really disliked the whiny portrayal of videogame's strongest heroine. Samus was submissive, otaku-proof designed fap-fodder and nothing else.

Prime Hunters - now here's the complete catastrophe. Jesus Christ what a god-awful piece of software. If any game makes Other M look like it deserves an award you know it has to be pretty awful. This is that game for the Metroid franchise. I hear the multiplayer was decent. I don't care. It's Metroid, not Call of Duty. Burn and bury it.

- Fire Emblem

Awakening - Used to love the series, but Awakening went into a new direction that completely drove me away. Having multiple difficulty modifiers is always a bad thing and this was no exception. The game was either way too hard or way too easy with nothing in-between and late-game characters turned this from a strategic game into a turn-based Dynasty Warriors. I also really hated the focus on relationships with bland, fanservice-y character designs and dialogues.

- Castlevania

It's a bit unfair to mention this since Konami sucks and they've always given the team so little to work with, but whatever Harmony of Despair was or wanted to be didn't click at all with me. There have been some guilty pleasures in this series (the N64 games, Judgment) but this is the only one in the franchise I didn't enjoy at all.

Edit, forgot one...

- Soulcalibur

Soulcalibur VI - Probably the biggest disappointment of the current generation so far. Very limited roster despite some very aged graphics that looked like it was all built with the same assets as SCV. Absolutely abysmal netcode that reminded me of the "good" old DOA4 days online (yes, it's really that bad). And then you have to pay extra for a bunch of fan favourites because of course they had to be DLC. I was willing to swallow all of that and bought Hilde last year to make a stand just to find out they reworked her moveset and made her unique charge mechanic a gimmick while turning previously charge-exclusive moves to simple button presses. I'll avoid this franchise like the plague from now on which is a shame, because playing SCV online was one of the best experiences I had on 360.

@Maryokutai You would hate Three Houses as it has all the problems you mentioned, if you haven’t played it already.

A couple of games come to mind. For Final Fantasy (taking only the games from IV to XIII, excluding XI) I would say XIII is by far the weakest. V was also not the most memorable game for me. The others are all games I adore.

And I would say Age of Empires 3. I was really looking forward to that game in 2005, having been a massive fan of the first two games and their expansions, and Age of Mythology, but it somehow ended up being really boring. I’m quietly optimistic for AoE4 given that Relic are developing it.