passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

Was nice to scroll through, but when I arrived at 10 I realised that even BAFTA doesn't know the definition of 'iconic' anymore.

Edit: I think 1 is warranted simply for the fact that said character pierced through the walls of the gaming space in the 90s, but not in the same way classic mascots did (magazine covers, music videos etc.).

Yea to be fair I’m probably mixing up iconic with popular a bit myself so makes a bit more sense then. And like you say, did more for a wider reach when you think back to the time. 

Yeah, that was one of those 'did I know that or didn't I?' moments for me.

But looking at the list again and some of the questionable picks in there (I erroneously blamed BAFTA when it was actually just a poll) I realised it's also super console centric. Gordon Freeman and Doom Guy, for example, should absolutely have been in there over some of those by-definition-not-iconic characters form the last five years.

eh, I feel like the crowbar is more iconic than the Freeman. Maybe even Alyx is more iconic.

I think you've got to have a Street Fighter character, like Ryu. It's also one of those series which has endured through generations (albeit dips in popularity with 3 initially, and V)

2B has become iconic, bigger than the series she comes from. Constant guest appearances in everything.

The Baldurs Gate III crew are excellent but it's definitely too early to call any of them iconic though they are all great designed characters. I don't know if any BG character is iconic, Minsc maybe, but only to old people.

I think it's a funny list.  It says it's a poll from 4000 people from around the world but who around the world is keeping an eye on BAFTA polls?  Lara as no.1?  Sackboy there at all?   These are mostly British games industry types.  I bet Manic Miner was no. 21.

4 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

I think it's a funny list.  It says it's a poll from 4000 people from around the world but who around the world is keeping an eye on BAFTA polls?  Lara as no.1?  Sackboy there at all?   These are mostly British games industry types.  I bet Manic Miner was no. 21.

You mean "Miner Willy"......

Bit late to this and don’t know if it’s been brought up before but there’s talk of Epic store and others coming to Xbox.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/phil-spencer-says-hes-open-to-bringing-stores-like-epic-and-steam-to-xbox-consoles/

One thing I can’t get my head around is how would this work? Does that mean that any game available on Xbox I could instead buy on Epic at a cheaper price? How could this ever be a good thing for Xbox? Why would I ever buy a game from them if that was the case? Plus any game I buy on Epic would then be available to me on PC. The Xbox store becomes redundant at that point. So where do they get their cut? Do they add it to the Epic store price - negating the benefit of having it there or what? I can’t get my head around it. The fuck is going off over at Xbox? 

Yeah, maf posted it in the Xbox thread, we just all kind of glanced over it because of other stuff happening at the same time. Not to play vigilante mod but it's probably the better spot to discuss it.

I'm not commenting because I really don't care...

But I care enough to let you all know that I don't care.🥰