passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DC Cinematic Universe

DisturbedSwan

I liked Titans, but series 2 was a bit arse. The worst of the 3 big similar superhero things going on at the minute (not counting the Marvel stuff)

edit: I should say, I'm hoping it picks up, because I did really enjoy the 1st series

I thought when the name came up a little while ago, that @Maryokutai was talking about Titans posthumously. I think I only ever caught the pilot episode. Mind you, I am terrible for watching and following things. I've had the unopened first season of Doom Patrol sitting on my shelf for who knows how long?

I kind of was, as like mentioned above I was convinced this was cancelled because I hadn't heard anything about it for quite a while.

S2 certainly had its issues (annoying Bruce illusion, that entire ending) but I'm looking forward to the third regardless. I also liked how good the costumes looked in that show, really no comparison to the CW garbage.

Shazam-2-Fury-of-the-Gods-new-costumes.j

New (?) outfits for Shazam 2. Grace Fulton is now playing both the normal and powered-up version of her character, which makes more sense since she's not a kid unlike the rest.

I liked the first half of the first one, not so much the rest. Hopefully the second one feels more "complete" as a movie.

• 3 weeks later...

The reactions for Suicide Squad hit today and they’re all glowing as far as I can see. It’s the comic book movie I’m most excited about right now so this is good news. I’m kind of glad JLSC happened just to close the book on that era of DC and if this is big and what everyone says it is this will be a new, fresh page going forward. 

On 20/06/2021 at 12:42, OCH said:

I've had the unopened first season of Doom Patrol sitting on my shelf for who knows how long?

DoomPatrol.jpg

So let's talk about, probably, the best comic book TV show DC has done to date. While a lot of mainstream comics are heroes in tights, punching muggers/terrorists/supervillains etc That isn't every comic.

Stop me if you've heard this one before: A wheelchair bound scientist assembles a group of unique individuals within his mansion. To protect them from a world that hates and fears them.

Yes, Doom Patrol is DC's X-Men. The fact both series debuted in 1963 within months of each other, means the general consensus of who copied who is forever unknown. But, superficial similarities is mostly where the comparisons end. Because Doom Patrol is weirder than X-Men ever will be. Spoiler free, this is great. One of the most faithful adaptations and love letters to comic books that there is. The cast, without exception, is great and on point. Everyone from the always awesome Timothy Dalton as Dr. Niles Caulder to Brendan Fraser as Cliff Steele aka Robotman. Not that anyone is directly called by codenames in the entire first season. Some like Robotman are referred to as such peripherally.

The stories are as mad as they should be. With some dramatic weight given to add depth to the principle cast. The eclectic rogues gallery are fantastically realised. From central antagonist, Mr Nobody. To the absurdity of Animal-Vegetable-Mineral-Man (no, I didn't make that up).

One bug bear I have with recent onscreen comic book interpretations, is the reluctance to keep the mask on. Brendan Fraser and Matt Bomer, who play Cliff and Larry Trainer, respectively. Are in full, actor obscuring, costume for the majority of their appearances. Flashbacks and other such scenes, do allow for the conceit of their removal. But only in those unique circumstances.

Groupshot.jpg

From the left: Rita Farr, Cliff Steele, Crazy Jane, Larry Trainer and ..Flex Mentallo (yes, that is what he is supposed to look like)

Overall I am very impressed by the whole series and with understanding of the various sources each episode was based on. I've already ordered Season 2. While also checking that Season 3 is actually happening, too. 9.5/10

• 2 weeks later...

Suicide Squad loses at box office

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/the-suicide-squad-box-office-underwhelms-1235037004/

26.5 million dollars take in on a production budget of 180 million dollars

Let me do the numbers real quick…So if you…times by state…carry the 2…add back in…holy shit…that can’t be…

Yeah so it turns out it’s not good. Not good at all.

I mean of course it does, the first one was awful. I know this one's supposed to be good but why would you expect people to go try their luck a second time? Plus add to that the still general reluctance to go watch a movie etc. and you have the recipe for disaster.

Every movie coming out is having it relatively tough but this is really bad. Black Widow made 80 million only a couple of weeks ago. Obviously there are different variables in play, but it’s still a huge drop. 

It made $71 million worldwide which isn't crazy, but all things considered isn't too bad in the current climate, it's just the domestic box office that is disappointing, I suspect it being available day and date on HBO Max in the US had the biggest effect on Box office numbers over there.

Be interesting to see what legs it has. 

I saw it last weekend and thought it was phenomenal. Easily one of the best DC movies.

Nice one @Nag after that you need to see it 19.9 million more times to make sure we get a sequel. Good on you doing it for the team. 

@DisturbedSwan Yes it made 70 mil WW but there are so many different variables like what countries did it open in, what streaming options are there, etc. The only fair comparison is US box office weekend. Black Widow made 80 mil and Suicide Squad 23.5. And I don't think Black Widow has broken even yet. 

I mean that's just ouch.