passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DC Cinematic Universe

DisturbedSwan

Just watched Black Adam.

Maybe it’s because I went in with very low expectations, but I actually think this is really underrated. I enjoyed it a lot. Having a superhero who just obliterates bad guys rather than doing that whole ‘don’t kill anyone shit’ is so much fun too. More of that please. 

I realised the other day I'm really far behind with the comic book movies. Still haven't seen Black Adam, Shazam 2 or The Flash. Plus the most recent Marvel films too. Probably because I haven't been overly keen on going to the cinema of late. So I lose track of whatever streaming service the films pop up on afterwards.

I’ve been the same. This is the first DC film I’ve watched since Suicide Squad (the better recent one). I’m nowhere near as interested in them as I once was - although DC films don’t interest me as much in general anyway but I’ve stopped even caring about Marvel ones for the most part. Decided the TV series’ have had a very negative impact on my enjoyment of that side. It’s too much now. 

Yeah same, apart from Spider-Man No Way Home I've not watched any of the Marvel films since Endgame. In terms of DC films I've never really been a massive fan, the last was probably Suicide Squad which was massively overrated.

I think the last DC film I actively enjoyed (I mostly enjoyed Suicide Squad for seeing Starro The Conqueror onscreen) was The Batman. Why? One of the main reasons was it being a standalone Batman film. Like the good old days.

Tired of this bloated, interconnected shite now. The good characters don't need it.

That might seem ironic, coming from a comic book nerd. The difference though, the books are as interconnected as you buy into. Buy Immortal X-Men for example. There is no one but them in it. 

3 hours ago, OCH said:

hat might seem ironic, coming from a comic book nerd. The difference though, the books are as interconnected as you buy into. Buy Immortal X-Men for example. There is no one but them in it. 

Comic books are also mostly written for people who want their lore-knowledge to be proven, not getting bored by recaps and reboots and retellings before the meat of the story begins. For better or worse I suppose, because that's also what limits the growth of that particular niche. 

Movies will always target the general populace, not because they want, but because they need to as they are simply to expensive to pre-filter their audience. It worked with the MCU for a while because the movies were self-contained to a degree but also because it was such a popular thing that everyone went to see everything anyway, but you can see the foundation crumbling a bit now that Disney has started spreading it across movies and TV shows and generally overfeeding the consumer. DC never really got to that point and they're probably kicking themselves for it, but it's too late to play catchup now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Harley Quinn is DEAD

arleensorkinharleyquinn.jpg?w=1200&resiz

Actress and comedian Arleen Sorkin has passed away.

Sorkin began her career as a part of various comedy troupes before finding work on television, notably as Calliope Jones on the long-running daytime soap opera Days of Our Lives. In addition to acting, she wrote for series such as Tiny Toon Adventures, and was co-host of America’s Funniest People with fellow comedian Dave Coulier.

Sorkin’s most notable claim to fame is without a doubt being the inspiration for and original voice of Harley Quinn on Batman: The Animated Series. What was originally supposed to be a minor, one-off character, Sorkin’s performance was so memorable and beloved that Harley became Joker’s de facto partner, and even starred in several episodes of her own.

Because of Sorkin’s commitment to the role, Harley Quinn has seen widespread notoriety and popularity over the past three decades, becoming one of the most popular characters in pop culture. Sorkin voiced Harley for several years, across different Batman spin-off series, movies, and video games, before retiring from the role after her performance in DC Universe Online.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

First images of The Penguin TV show

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/the-penguin-colin-farrell-returns-in-the-batman-crime-series-exclusive/

penguin-tw.jpg?ar=16:9&fit=crop&crop=top

I really liked The Batman. Very derivative of Fincher but still maybe the most enjoyable comic bookey thing for me since all the MCU stuff kicked off. Kinda unsure about this one though, Colin Farrell was very fun in the film but felt like a kind of gimmick character. Bit of an odd one to launch a show around him

But I really liked the take on Gotham in the movie so I'll try it. Need to grab the 4k disc of the film also

I think the 'Elseworlds' stuff DC is doing is the most interesting stuff in comic films right now, even if Joker is a bit of a problematic one

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This story is about the Superman Legacy table read but the more interesting part to me is they start filming next week

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/rachel-brosnahan-lois-lane-superman-legacy-table-read-amazing-1235921664/

Since Marvel has slipped my interest in comic films as a whole has slipped. But I’m very excited for Superman Legacy and the fact it’s about to start filming pumps me up more. Also they replaced that Supergirl from The Flash already with this girl Milly Alcock 

Milly-Alcock-Supergirl.jpg?w=1200

I mean she’s a blonde white girl so she will do, but I dunno I don’t see it, really. 

Also one other small thing is it seems like the Superman logo is going to be the logo from Kingdom Come. I have to imagine after all the shit DC got from being “too dark” the film won’t be anything like Kingdom Come.

Although it is called Superman legacy which that comic is kind of look at the legacy of superheroes and what bad they did to the world, especially in the absence of Superman 

But we will see, I guess 

I never watched the film but from what I saw from the trailers and clips she looked really good.

Think it’s fair that they’re scrapping the whole thing and moving on, though. Too much drama to keep any of that film/story going 

Set photos of the new Superman

Spoiler

GHiBK8ja8AAxeRT?format=jpg&name=small

The cape looks rubbish. But it’s a cape I’m sure they’ll fix it with CGI or something. I LOVE the rest of it. That looks amazing. He looks like an action figure come to life 

They changed the title as well. It’s not Superman Legacy anymore it’s just Superman

Pure coincidence as well that they’ve started filming on the 29th February. That’s Superman’s canonical birthday. 

Superman and Fantastic Four. Maybe comic book movies aren’t quite done yet after all. I’m very excited for both