passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Hendo

Had a good go with Ryu. As I expected I enjoyed playing with him more so than the the regular characters. All his signature moves are present and correct and you can make it feel like you're playing him in street fighter. Ken is still my goal, but I suppose he just plays like Ryu in this. As he more or less does in SF

Luckily, I'm down with a bad head cold?, so I've managed to play this excessively today, all with Ryu, getting my character roster to 64.

Finally got Ken, all flaming feet and bad hair. Did Ryu's classic on the highest setting, and pushed the CPU to 7 for regular training. I mean, I feel I'm getting better, learning to guard and dodge, and not to rush in like an idiot. But it's still going to be a while until I'm up to embarrassing myself online.

This game, though! When will Nintendo get over themselves and give this effing beauty a proper competitive tour.

I played it for 2 minutes earlier, there were 3 characters on the screen and I couldn’t even tell which one was Mario. It’s all too small.

Although honestly, I kind of feel that way about it in docked, too. It needs to be more crazy. Like 4 or 5 players. but there is a point where even on a massive screen I can’t tell what’s happening. I can tell who I am unlike in handheld mode but it’s hard to determine what is actually happening in the fights. 

The more I play the game the more I’m also finding it really sluggish. Not like Brawl where it was just a slower paced game. Like the responsiveness is sluggish. I don’t know. I keep tipping back and forth about how much I like this game. In the beginning, and at certain points I have had massive amounts of fun with it. But the more I play it the more it’s still just not Melee

I might have the free time to take this out of the box soon... Although I am also half-debating on whether to just bundle it up as an extra Christmas present to my nieces and never play it.

World of Light's becoming a bit much now.

I looked at my time played on my Profile and I'm at over 20 hours. At least 15 of those hours have come from WoL as I pretty much don't want to play any other mode before I finish it - and plan to unlock all the remaining fighters here - but it is becoming a right slog now.

There are still touches of genius, intrigue and wonder that really hit home - fighting Rathalos or finding the SNES DKC hub world for example - but I think the fights have just worn me down after all this time. They're still fun as hell don't get me wrong but I just think there's too much of them now I'm so far in, I really thought I finished it earlier only for a whole new place to become available and me pretty much having to start from scratch again. 

I'm probably up to about 50 fighters now so not too far away from getting the full roster, I think once I get there I may put it down for awhile and come back to it fresher in the new year.

I couldn't be arsed with WoL. 

I've unlocked the full roster now, but it seems to me that the only pleasure I get from this is as a one on one fighter. Which is fair enough. I think the game is made for the player to tune the experience to his own requirements.

I might have to take it online to get my money's worth out of the game, before I start to get those CPU bad habits.

On 20/12/2018 at 21:59, OCH said:

I might have the free time to take this out of the box soon... Although I am also half-debating on whether to just bundle it up as an extra Christmas present to my nieces and never play it.

Dude, this is an unproductive post. That’s more a thought you have sat on the loo.

Had a mate round yesterday, played four hours of one vs one and it was immense. We’re of equal skill I would say and we kind of know each other’s play style so there was a lot of anticipation and improvisation, it was a fucking ballet at times.

I still don’t look at that roster and home in on a character and say ‘yes, that’s who I’m going to be’. I have been Peach and Bowser quite a lot though to varying degrees of success.

I fucking love this game.

4 minutes ago, illdog said:

Dude, this is an unproductive post. That’s more a thought you have sat on the loo.

Yes it was...

Being a Postie, I haven't actually had the time to do anything more than muse for the last few weeks.

Well I'm still shocking at this but I am enjoying it. I do need to put a bit more time into it. 

I can't even think of going online with it, hoping to get a new controller for Christmas so that might help a little as just using the joy con's 

13 minutes ago, bellow said:

I've gone online and found myself wanting.

Cartoon characters just seem to be grabbing my Ryu and 'doing things' to him.

If word gets back to Gouken at the dojo, he's fucked.

You should be grateful Asura isn't in Smash then...;)

I have to admit, I don't know what that means.

Still getting my ass handed to me, but I feel I'm getting closer to being able to compete.

It's the speed of fighting against other humans that needs getting used to most. The game is so fast, and it's all about predicting how to take advantage of your opponent's miscalculations.

And I was right. The only thing the CPU teaches you is how best not to win. I can't go back to that now, although a YouTube player reckons that warming up with the CPU on a low level for combo and spacing practice works well.