passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metal Gear Survive

DisturbedSwan

TL;DR but I'm willing to bet our forum puppy likes it ?

Must admit I'm in the dismissive camp and thought this was a waste of the IP/lazy cash in. I haven't played it so I wouldn't bash it, but I've little interest. I will keep a lazy eye on it. If the reviews are good, it might be a summer purchase.

You can have the best orchestra in the world, but if the conductor is shit then all you'll get is uncoordinated noise.

I've not really seen enough to make my mind up. That start was horrendous though, it put a real dampener on wanting to know more about it.

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

I thought being a fan of BotW you might appreciate the survival aspects in this myself @Hendo

I kind of get the comparison but this seems more like Don’t Starve than that.

The hunger and thirst energy constantly ticking down seems really annoying.

Zelda was more weapon degradation, but there was always a decent weapon around the corner to replace one that broke. In fact, it was more an issue of having space to hold all the weapons you’d find. There were other factors as well like temperature and health but none of them seem to be as big a factor as this.

I’m keeping an open mind but I haven’t found a survival game I like yet. I like Metal Gear games but even forgetting that Kojima isn’t involved, the side games have never been all that attractive.

Not sure if this is better here or in News (can mods move if news is more appropriate?), but if you want more than one character in this you're gonna have to pay up (or log in for more than 300 days...)

https://www.pcgamer.com/metal-gear-survive-charges-money-for-extra-save-slots/?utm_content=buffera22b3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

I agree with both parts of this, but Survive is quite clearly a cash in 

What makes this more of a cash in than most sequels or long term series?  Or even past Metal Gear games? (Kojima was always saying the one he just did was the last)

Of course they were always going to continue to make Metal Gear games without Kojima.  It's one of their biggest properties and they spent a fuck ton on that Fox Engine.  Pretty much any series with more than one game had to make a decision to continue with another game where making money was high on the agenda.  Some of them are respected games.

Most games high budget games have this setup but it's what they do with it that matters.  And with a game like this I could easily imagine a number of the developers on this project wanting to make a point and use this as an oppertunity to make a Metal Gear game without Kojima.

I think basically what I'm saying just because it was concieved as a wry business decision it doesn't mean it's soulless or without merit.

But I don't even like the "good" Metal Gear games that much so this doesn't appeal to me at all.  Unless they make another Metal Gear Rising.

@DifferentClass I was thinking about this as I was typing, and I think it's motivation. I think there's a difference between, say, COD, which obviously exists just because it makes money, and this and countless other things, it's return on investment and effort. Not that I'm accusing anyone of being lazy, but I think there's a plan and freedom making a Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed compared to this which seems like it was the most direct route to getting the game out

So the Metal Gear name, the last game's engine, a game structure that meant they didn't have to produce new assets, very little spent on cutscenes, how long it took to come out and start development. Compared to COD which starts new each time more or less 

8 minutes ago, Blakey said:

This is just flat out wrong, sorry.

fair enough, all I've seen are text+jpg conversations, if there is as many and as well done then good, that's what Metal Gear is for me

I'm not having a go at konami for doing this btw, I think having something coming out as a pallet cleanser so they can move on from Kojima is what they had to do. It is a cash in though, I can't believe anyone would argue otherwise :D  

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

Why did they wait until March 2018, 2 years and 5 months after MGSV released?

There are literally a million answers to this question. Like, letting all this blow over...

Criticism and controversy[edit]

In early 2015, following a series of controversial business decisions centered around the cancellation of Silent Hills and the subsequent departure of longtime key figures such as Hideo Kojima, creator of the Metal Gear Solid series; Koji Igarashi, programmer, writer, assistant director, and producer of numerous Castlevania series; and Keiichiro Toyama, creator of the Silent Hill series; Konami became the object of intense criticism and scrutiny from both the video game community and video game news publishers.

Silent Hills and development for home video game consoles cancellation[edit]

Silent Hills, set to be the ninth installment of the Silent Hill franchise, was abruptly cancelled on April 2015 without explanation despite the critical acclaim and success of P.T., a playable teaser.[47][48] Hours after the announcement, Konami delisted itself from the New York Stock Exchange.[12]

Game co-director and writer Guillermo del Toro publicly criticized the cancellation as not making any sense, and questioned what he described as a "scorched earth" approach to removing the trailer. Due to the experience, del Toro stated that he would never work on another video game.[49]

Konami's CEO, Hideki Hayakawa, announced that -with few exceptions- Konami would stop making console games and instead focus on the mobile gaming platform; a decision that was heavily criticized by the video gaming community.[50][51][52] However, Konami UK's community manager, Graham Day, has denied the claims that it was exiting the console industry.[53]

Kojima Productions[edit]

On March 3, 2015, Konami announced they would be shifting focus away from individual studios, notably Kojima Productions. Internal sources claimed the restructure was due to a clash between Hideo Kojima and Konami.[54][55] References to Hideo Kojima were soon stripped from marketing material, and Kojima's position as an Executive Vice President of Konami Digital Entertainment was removed from the company's official listing of executives.[56]

Later that year, Konami's legal department barred Hideo Kojima from accepting Best Action-Adventure for his work on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain at The Game Awards 2015. When announced during the event, the audience booed in disapproval of Konami's actions. Host Geoff Keighley took a moment to express his disappointment in Konami's actions. After actor Kiefer Sutherland accepted the award in Kojima's stead, a choir played Quiet's Theme from The Phantom Pain as tribute to the absent Kojima.[57][58][59][60] Kojima left Konami several days afterwards, re-opening Kojima Productions as an independent company.

Treatment of employees and ex-employees[edit]

In August 2015, The Nikkei criticized Konami for its unethical treatment of employees.[61][62] In June 2017, The Nikkei further reported of Konami's continued clashes with Kojima Productions, preventing the studio's application for health insurance, as well as Konami's actions in making it difficult for former employees to get future jobs.[63][64]

Could of been development problems (MGSV was a nightmare apparently),  Konami wanting to release it in a quiet window. It could of been aaaaanything, i don't work for Konami. It just seems really shady that they would get rid of Kojima and co, cancel games and then go make a survival game with zombies and offensive micro transactions with the game franchise that the people you sacked worked on. No?

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

From Software released 4 SoulsBorne games 1 year after another, are they all lazy asset flips pushed out to make money? 

Not really a good comparison dude. 3 were back to back DS2, Bloodbourne, DS3. But different teams and directors. Bloodbourne and Souls are quite different too. https://www.videogamer.com/news/dark-souls-3-is-being-developed-by-a-different-team-to-bloodborne

Could you imagine if the Souls games had BFII/Survive level of scummy micro transactions? :lol: 

Dude this is coming across slightly as you having a chip on your shoulder and then looking for an argument, if you like the game then good for you, if people have decided not to, or its not to their tastes then that should be fine too.