passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

18 hours ago, Blakey said:

I read the social media reactions for TRoS and they were all glowing

They would be, they’re normally reactions to paid for screenings to build buzz.

18 hours ago, Blakey said:

reviews have been mixed so far (57% average on RT from 47 reviews), still early days though, still a whole load more reviews to come in.

173 reviews later.

17 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

That really surprises me. Because Attack of Clones is a thing.

People/Fanboys have short memories, that's why. Star Wars has never exactly been award winning prose, but the Force [of Nostalgia] is strong with the original films. It is borderline creepy at times. Then again a lot of franchises have that problem. For example, the Fanboy fetish for G1 has long been a blight to Transformers too.

49 minutes ago, OCH said:

the Fanboy fetish for G1 has long been a blight to Transformers too.

Couldn't you have just tagged @Nag to make things easier?

(For the record - I honestly don't even know if nag likes G1, I'm just taking the piss with that one!)

I read the leaked plot synopsis last week and me and a guy in work pissed ourselves laughing at it. I hope that the film itself works out better than how it sounds on paper.

I’m gonna go in with low expectations so hopefully it will balance out and I’ll be impressed with the finished thing.

1 hour ago, OCH said:

People/Fanboys have short memories, that's why. Star Wars has never exactly been award winning prose, but the Force [of Nostalgia] is strong with the original films. It is borderline creepy at times. Then again a lot of franchises have that problem. For example, the Fanboy fetish for G1 has long been a blight to Transformers too.

No, I think there was genuine reason to believe that these films where on a good track with the first Abrams film. It is a bit safe and regressive but Force Awakens at least adhered to some basic cinematic principles, unlike the prequels which were so odd and self indulgent

But it feels like as we've got from under the creative vision of Lucas we've went to the other extreme where that lack of central vision has given us a series of films which struggle to pass the baton on and build a world which, for the most part, had been pretty well built by all of the other 6 films. Even the really bad prequels gave a great foundation to build other material off of. Games, novels, other weird nerdy bullshit that hit a pretty high watermark all around.

I don't know how you fix that though. Lucas gave Disney all his notes and they threw them out. Maybe his ideas were awful, they were pretty bad for that Indiana Jones film. But I wonder if they could have still built something a bit more rich out of it.

Basically, I'm asking that we all consider rehabilitating Jar Jar Binks. 

No I'm not asking that. Or am I?

I'd just pirate it really @Hendo if I'd read the plot synopsis (correct or incorrect I've no idea but people laughed at the Endgame leaks that turned out to be false) then I personally don't see much point in paying money to see it.

My only point really was that the reviews aren't bad for TRoS, they're divisive and to the audience they might find it far better - or far worse - than the critics found it, similarly with the last Godzilla (which I personally enjoyed more than I thought), Aladdin 2019, Venom etc.  @wiivo 2.0

I've just seen it and for what it's worth, I really enjoyed it. It had to a lot of plot heavy lifting after the damaged caused by Last Jedi throwing out so much of what was established in Force Awakens, but they just about get away with it. For me it was the best of the new trilogy, but it is scrappy and struggles to contain everything it is trying to tie up. That being said, I think I may have enjoyed it more than Endgame, although that film is more of an achievement in long term story telling and plotting. 

TLDR, Last Jedi fucked this new trilogy and this is damage limitation that ticks a lot of Star Wars boxes.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Sometimes I read leaks on purpose and it makes me want to watch it even more (infinity war)

You love your spoilers though. Every time you say you've got a game spoiled on YT I just assume you intentionally go looking for them. ?

It used to happen that youtube would automatically send a spoiler to my home screen. I figured out how to disable that though.

But I don't get that fussed over spoilers. When DMC5 had lots of stuff leaked I looked it up cause I didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to avoid lots of stuff, and anyway that game is stupid and silly. Had all the ending of FFXIV Shadowbringer spoiled for me at the Yoshi P Q&A at gamescom, didn't have the context for a lot it though. Which is the critical thing a lot of the time, the way that stuff unfurls means more than the thing that happens.

Mostly anyway, some of the spoilers I read for this are a bit weird.

I enjoyed it. Is it as good as the classic original trilogy? No.

Is it as bad as the absolutely shit prequel trilogy? Definitely not.

There’s plot holes, stupidity, wasted characters (yet again), and some very predictable moments. But I thought it was alright. 

Just waiting now for the fucking idiot brigade to bring out their “WE DEMAND YOU REDO IT” petitions. People that do that, need to get their priorities in order. And a life. And to fuck right off. 

Saw TRoS it last night. 

I liked it but it’s definitely the worst of the Sequel Trilogy for me. A lot to process after seeing it (as others have said) think I may need a second watch before I can properly put my thoughts in order. 

But yeah, very messy and muddled but they just about managed to pull it off in the end. Reminded me of the 3rd Hobbit film a bit where they tried to cram too much in.