passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo News

HandsomeDead

I've definitely had a refund for a digital purchase before, can't remember who from though (I think Steam were pretty good and the Android Play Store too (both giving refunds as long as you'd played for <1hr or so) - but not bought anything off there for ages, so I'm thinking it might have been a console game - but can't remember TBH).

Nintendo are shutting down online play for 3DS and WiiU in April because they're tight fisted shits 

We now know the date and time when Nintendo will disconnect online services for 3DS and Wii U software, which is scheduled for April 8th, 2024, at 4PM PT / 7PM ET. If you’re in Japan, it will be the morning of April 9th, at 9AM.

If you’ve been using one of those systems, you should note this support page warning users that if you have an unused eShop balance tied to a Nintendo Network ID, you have until March 11th at 10PM PT to link the wallet with a Nintendo Account so that those funds can be used to buy items for use with the Nintendo Switch.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/23/24048673/nintendo-3ds-wii-u-online-service-shutdown-date-time

Anyway, when searching I found the original thread for the 3ds 

The new rumour RE Switch 2 is that it will have a 7” LCD screen.

Very disappointing it’s not OLED. I mean there’s no way I don’t get one, it just means I will end up getting a second one when they do an OLED version 😓

If the hardware can support a decent 1080p presentation at a good framerate, maybe possibly upscaling somewhat beyond with DLSS, then it can at least make a much better docked system on an OLED tv. The current device just doesn't look so good on OLED TV

To be honest the backwards compatibility is what I'm interested in. I really like Bayonetta 3, but I didn't really like how it looked and ran at times

I somewhat expect backwards compatibility but not in the way both Sony and Microsoft have been doing it but rather via some native solution, ie. a Switch 'inside' Switch 2. That would of course mean that games won't get any additional benefits but on the plus side it would be a 100% compatible with everything. And I suppose they could then offer dedicated patches/upgrades for certain games.

But that's definitely the big question mark for that system. Wouldn't really be bothered by an LCD if I'm being honest, I think the launch switch screen is perfectly fine for a handheld device.

Actually the point about it being docked is very good. Maybe it’ll be a good home console with DLSS to help match a 4K screen. I’ve just enjoyed Switch handheld so much for the past 2-3 years I didn’t think about it 

Announced, definitely. Release I'd say either at the end of this or at the beginning of next year. Tears of the Kingdom was very much this system's swansong, looking at the upcoming lineup with Peach Showtime (which looks cool, but very low-budget) and the Remake Brigade (TM) it's very obvious they're ready to close the curtains and move on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maf is short for misinformation 

Physical backwards compatibility is something Nintendo has done before several times. There was also that DLSS talk from I think Gamescom last year where behind closed doors they were showing BotW running in 4K, so that would make sense.

The big thing is digital backwards compatibility. As far as I’m aware Nintendo has never done that, and they’re also absolute wank at anything involving the internet and user accounts so if true that would be great - but we’ll have to see. 

I think Xbox/PS has carried over digital libraries since 2013 or so, it’s way past time Nintendo done this as well. Since they’re doing their own subscription service now (kinda), maybe they’re finally done selling Mario 3 over and over and things will carry across.

Although as I type it I find it hard to believe. 

The tweet also says there’s an indie direct next week, Pokemon Direct later in the month, and hardware reveal next month 

I suppose if there’s a direct next week it will lend strength to the rest of these rumours. 

The rumours are true so far

Partner showcase - 21st Feb 2pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-direct-partner-showcase-announced-for-tomorrow

Pokémon Showcase - 27th Feb 2pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/pokemon-presents-broadcast-announced

Seems to extremely likely Pokemon Black and White remakes will be announced. But will they do it like ORAS or more ambitious and like Scarlet/Violet? 

I mean…yeah, you’re probably right.

The other rumour is they’re going to be Gold/Silver remakes but in the Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee style.

Those games ended up being pretty fantastic actually so I wouldn’t mind that

Although I feel kind of guilty sitting here saying “Yeah, I’ll buy Pokémon Silver again for the 4th time!”