passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Critical Acclaim +: Open Mic

Sly Reflex

sorry I meant to post about Panzer but didn't get around to it.

Panzer Dragoon Saga deserved all the praise it got, I still don't think I've played an rpg like it. The battle system is one thing, letting you change your dragons strength during the fight, which in turn affects what it's capable of, so you can alter it so it's better at attacking just before you launch a devastating attack. The way fights are all about you and the enemy circling each other, trying to stay out of the way of their most powerful attacks. There's a stupid amount of potential in the combat system

Which is why it's a shame it's so short. Not every game needs to be 100 hours long, and jrpgs feeling they have to get up that high is a bad thing imo, but it's only about 20 hours long and there's only so many fights you can get in to. The story feels like a good anime series, which again feels like they could have got more out of it. I suppose it means that every fight feels important, but it's one of those games where you get the uber powerful form right as you start the last fight so don't get a chance to play with it.

There's loads of incidental stuff in there too, little secrets to find in the world, some of which I could still remember last time I played it. which is the other bad thing, my saturn's memory slot is fucked and my saturn emulator doesn't like my copy of the game past disc 1, so I don't know if I'll ever get to play the game again, which is a shame because it's genuinely one of my favourite ever games

Sonic I think is a better game than a lot of people want to believe. I think there's a feeling now that it was all about hype and colour, but it was a very good game, and I still rate Marble Zone as one of the better platformer levels ever made (Labyrinth though :fist: ). It's a slower game than people remember too, I think Sonic 2 is more the game people think Sonic 1 was

I recently got the updated widescreen version for my phone, not really played enough of it yet but it seems like a decent version

Sonic I think is a better game than a lot of people want to believe. I think there's a feeling now that it was all about hype and colour, but it was a very good game, and I still rate Marble Zone as one of the better platformer levels ever made (Labyrinth though :fist: ). It's a slower game than people remember too, I think Sonic 2 is more the game people think Sonic 1 was

Fucking WORD on Marble Zone. It has my favorite piece of music from the game, too.

I love Sonic the Hedgehog, it's one of my favourite games of all time and I play through it at least once a year. In fact, I was playing it just the other day in full screen 60Hz RGB Scart goodness. It's timeless, and every time I play it it brings back very happy memories and makes me feel extremely nostalgic. Rose tinted glasses are not required, because Sonic the Hedgehog still looks, sounds and plays as great as it did in '91.

And that music when you're running out of air and about to drown is possibly the most panic inducing piece of music featured in a video game.

Sonic was the console game I played most as a kid. I enjoyed it, although I think all the games suffer from the same thing. The later levels where you have to carefully platform your way through are dire. The games are sold on their speed which is sadly missing once you get a few levels in. How Sonic controls when he has no momentum is very viscous, something which I don't really like. It's a really fine balance getting inertia and momentum right in platform games. There's too many times where I'm pulling the reins and not getting the actions that I want out of him.

I think the music and SFX are the standout point of this game for me. It's iconic. There's nothing really more to say about it than that.

I thought everybody would have played this and had something to say about it. I'm guessing maybe the hot weather has something to do with it being a bit of a dry day on the forum.

Next up it's a proper oldie. Galaga.

I love Galaga, used to love it down my local arcade and I was pretty much the only cunt who played it. Was ecstatic to see it at the front of Ridge Racer and played it pretty much every time. Just Space Invaders with clogs on ya? Yah. But its better than Space Invaders, these motherfuckers fly tight in yo face.

I think it has an iconic little intro tune, i have it on my phone.

No one loving Rez? I have been holding off saying anything because I get wanky about the game. I think it is a wonderful piece of interactive art. It looks great, sounds amazing and plays great as well. There is all this wonderful stuff on the surface to enjoy and then the deeper you dig the more you are rewarded. I don't think I have played any arty game since that has come close to achieving what Rez did. In terms of games doing arts on our faces I think most stuff is too heavy handed. Pretty much everything I have played has basically been screaming, "look at us being artistic!" in my face the whole time, there is no sense of discovery. Rez is nice though, Rez is a very mellow art experience, something that can be enjoyed with your brain turned on or turned off while the game induces a trance like state as the lights, music and vibrations wash over you. It is quite rare and beautiful.

I've only played galaga a few times but thought it was alright considering how old it is.

Rez is amazing, the music, the graphics, the game, all amazing. The graphics are the sort of thing I'd say were timeless, although the HD version did look nicer so maybe I was wrong. I never thought too much about Rez in a games/art sense, maybe because there's a lot of game there too. But it really can get you into a zone/trance like state, well it could me anyway. I had trouble getting Rez when it first came out, had a preorder at gameplay but they couldn't get me one, then a few weeks later found one for £15 in game, then on the way home someone sat on and cracked the case. Not that bothered though because I'd never sell it.

Rez is like the perfect album or film. The only way you are going to make it better is by upgrading the resolution and fidelity of the sound. Like Bob, I could get ultra wanky about it and wax lyrical about how we, as gamers, can have something as truly chiselled and sculpted as this game. It's the finest binary art we're ever likely to get. While people are always citing 'whatever' game is our Citizen Kane, this is our No.5, 1948.

It's also worth noting I played this game in front of the missus and got pissed off she didn't get it. I was like "What the fuck do you mean you don't get it?!"

Fucking Americans... <_<

Rez i never rated quite as highly as i thought I was supposed to, as a game a think a couple of things (Panzer Dragoon Orta) do the same gameplay a bit better. But the style and sound, the complete package of it, is awesome. It probably has the best running man boss in gaming too

Ico I've never really got on with, I want to because of how people talk about it, but I hate babysitting in games, and that's half of what it's about. I'm glad it exists though and I'm glad people like it

Ico is great. I really love the tone and all that jazz. The puzzles are all nice and simple but when I played it the first time I got horribly stuck over and over again because I would look for the most complicated way to solve a problem. I missed it the first time it was released but snapped it up when it was reissued on the PS2 when Shadow of the Colossus came out. Then after completing it three times over a couple of days I went and bought SotC. One of my main memories of that game is the horrific leg cramp I got on the hour long walk I took to get it.

To me, the castle is the star of Ico. It's huge and atmospheric and feels 'real' and connected (you see parts of it off in the distance that look like backgrounds, then find yourself at them later, or look back and see parts you visited what feels like ages ago), and at the same time it feels fantastical and other worldly.

I also love the way it builds the story and relationship between the characters with minimal dialaogue or cutscenes.

I've played a couple of hours of Ico, around the end of last year. I was at the part after the small graveyard/courtyard area. I was completely stuck because I had no idea how to get Ico onto a high ledge - it's turns out you're supposed to reach down and drag her up, I didn't realise you could do that at the time...

From what I played, I agree about the castle being the highlight. Exploration seemed to be the main focus of the game and it was done very well.

As far as driving games go, this blew everything out of the water when it came out. All other driving games became obsolete overnight.

I actually remember playing the demo of this off of the Playstation mag and I hated it at first. I could get anything to drive in a straight line. Because of all the ranting and raving I kept at it and soon understood it to a point where I could stay on the track.

Eventually I got the full version and boy did I fucking hammer it. I played and played and played. I started with the FWD and mastered them. Then I moved onto the 4X4's and mastered them. Then for Christmas someone bought be a Dual Shock pad. This reinvigorated the game, I managed to get passed in the top license tests. Then I went back through the game using the skills I learnt with the RWD cars. After that I found it hard to drive anything that had anything other than RWD. I went for the top license tests again having had a few scores of driving RWD cars about and aced them. I think the time this was out I played nothing but it for about 8 months.

I actually tried GT in about 2005 when I gave my PS1 away with all the games and then again sometime in 2008 when it was in it's new home. Those realistic handling models are quite laughable now, it feels like you're playing Ridge Racer or something, you can really lob the cars about with little consequence. Obviously driving models have evolved, but I think the biggest difference is 10 years of using analogue controls. GT was the game I cut my analogue teeth on, as well as my first serious racer.

For me it's a pivotal game that changed a genre. It's just a shame that the series itself stagnated and it was overtaken (and lapped) by rivals in its later incarnations.

I've not played the original that much but played loads of 2, 4, and 5. Think I 100% completed 2, and did everything in the other two except the endurance races. Yeah it's a great game, one of the main reasons I got a ps1/2, I still think its a great game too (5 I mean, not sure how the original holds up). I really like the licence tests too.