passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Critical Acclaim +: Open Mic

Sly Reflex

I really liked Shadow Complex as a game, it's kind of hard to separate it from it's source though. I guess it could be kind of interesting to play as a fascist, to be on the opposite side from yourself, but there was something a bit seedy about it, not to mention stupid

good game though

I went into Shadow Complex completely blind, and it was a great decision. One of the best downloadable games I've played. It's not perfect, and there are random annoying points, but once I got to grips with it properly, I loved it.

I was in hospital at the time and played from start to finish in a day, maybe 2.

The shooting mechanics weren't great for me, but I'm not great at shooting in any game, 2D or 3D. The Metroid ripped progression fits the game perfectly, but the fact it adds random bits of stealth in too just added that little extra something to set it apart from all the other Metroidvania clones out there. I picked it up on a whim when it was going cheap and it was definitely a good purchase!

One negative I will say though, the final sequence just didn't feel like the rest of the game, it was like they ran out of ideas so threw a ridiculous battle in there. That could be because it annoyed me the first few attempts so it's a little tarnished but I would have liked something a little different. Although I have no idea what that could be replaced with...

Loved this game. It still plays as good as ever.

The graphics and music were excellent. There was lots to unlock from playing the career - new characters, tricks, courses, boards, outfits.

Races and show-off mode were both pretty much perfect, whether you were trying to run up as high a score as possible or find all the shortcuts and punch other players out of the way.

Of course the courses were the real highlight of the game and if you've ever played it the names should bring back fond memories: Garibaldi, Snow Dream, Elysium Alps, Mesablanca, Mercury City, Tokyo Megaplex, Aloha Ice Jam, Alaska, Pipedream.

Awesome game. :)

Viewtiful Joe is one of those games that I loved it when I played it and have been meaning to replay for years.

It was a great mix of brawling and puzzles using Joe's different abilities to manipulate enemies and the environment.

The two bosses I remember are Hulk Davidson and Fire Leo... I haven't played the sequel.

I actually bought this on the same day as KotoR. KotoR didn't get a look in until I'd finished this. It was way difficult until you got your head around trying the different powers on different enemies to see what worked best.

I think this is the only game that's asked me if I was going for a piss or a shit when I paused it as well. 10/10!

it's got a few issues, the shark boss for one, but I loved it back in the day. I quite liked the 2nd game too, not as much as the first, although I think it's a more balanced game. I always thought the DS game was underrated too, it's shorter chunks of gameplay but it works really well

Missed this yesterday.

As a GameCube-only owner, I was looking forward to each of the Capcom games that were meant to be exclusive originally. I wanted to love Viewtiful Joe more than I actually did. The look and feel of it was great but it was too tough for me, even on Kids difficulty level.

Burnout 2 was a real joy, much better than the first and that wasn't exactly shabby.

I bought Burnout 2 on a whim, didn't know nothing about it. Turned out to be excellent. The track design urged you to play it risky as much as you could and everything felt really balanced.

I loved how the soundtrack altered during playing too, I had custom songs on mine and would often boost at the most inappropriate times to get the track to turn all the way up. I also really liked the music that came with the game, it was proper videogame music before everything went official soundtracks or orchestral. It was sort of low rent but it fitted the feeling of the game much more than EA Trax ever could.

As a game it was really arcady and pure, there are no frill to that part of the game other than race well, something which later Burnout games dropped. I know you could nudge other races to try and make them fault, but doing that would often screw it up for you as well. It sort of reminds me of Outrun with more spectacular crashes because of higher risks.

The icing on the cake was Crash Mode, I think I spent just as much time playing that as I did racing. The best thing about it is you could pass the controller to someone who didn't really play games and they'd enjoy Crash Mode because it was easy to get into, and overall it was fun. Smashing stuff up is always going to be fun. Crash Mode was something they perfected in Burnout 2. It never felt as good as it did in later titles because they tried adding or altering stuff that didn't need to be there.

Have we seen anything as pure arcade racer as this since it came out apart from Outrun? I'm not sure. :unsure:

I remember we used to play it a lot at University. Crash mode was our Sunday morning hang over cure.

Again, someone bought it on a whim not knowing anything about it and I think I was one of our most played games.

I loved how the soundtrack altered during playing too, I had custom songs on mine and would often boost at the most inappropriate times to get the track to turn all the way up.

That was my favourite thing about the game. None of the others do that, if I recall correctly.

Burnout 2 was one of my favourites on the Xbox. The crash mode was awesome, the races were real fun, and the pursuit mode was great too. It was the last one before EA bought them out, wasn't it? It had a slightly rough charm that was kind of lost under all the EA polish of the later games.