passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

On 14/01/2021 at 10:01, mmmark said:

I binged Night Stalker. It’s good.

Same and agreed. Had a few recommendations at work. As Serial Killers go, he was probably one of the worst. As he had no specific type of victim. Very interesting documentary though.

2 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

he always seemed the scariest of them.

One of the friends at work who recommend it, watched it with his wife last week. He said as it finished, they looked at each other and simultaneously agreed to put a comedy on immediately... And make sure the backdoor was locked before they went to sleep that night.

On 17/01/2021 at 13:44, DANGERMAN said:

a nonce

I had to google this. Had no idea it was slang for a child sex offender. And I too didn’t know about that side which they seemed to drop pretty quickly. As soon as they have enough evidence of a few murders they just binned everything else. 

Ash Vs The Evil Dead 

I may be a bit late to this but started and then proceeded to binge 7 episodes last night. It is absolutely hilarious and fantastic. 2 seasons on Netflix, believe there’s more out there. Woohoo! 

Properly binged it and finished the 2nd season yesterday. Absolutely loved all of it. Helps it has the best deaths in anything ever too. I’d say I slightly preferred the 1st season. The 2nd can get a bit too silly at times but it also had a couple of more grounded episodes which were really well

done - the 1st asylum one in particular was great. Prefer it being set out of town too. It was still amazing though. In fact I enjoyed it so much I did something I’ve never done before - bought the 3rd season on iTunes as soon as I’d finished 2 since it’s not streamed anywhere. 

Can’t wait to start 3 now. Only issues is I’ve read they cancelled the 4th and final season though as it wasn’t really popular on Starz (who’d have thought) and didn’t take off until Netflix but Starz didn’t want to rely on Netflix for future success. Proper gutted :( 

3 is great too. Can’t believe they canned it. Then obviously more evil dead 4 speculation but it’s never going to happen. If it does It’ll be after raimi makes Spider-Man, people go back to the others and young fans wonder who this big chinned fella is.

I watched Pyscho Goreman. It was solid but not as good as I’d hyped it up to be in my head.

• 1 month later...

Sweet Home (Netflix)

10 episode Korean horror series taken from an animated web series of the same name.

I'm only a couple of episodes in, but has a nice vibe to it, feels like a mash up of Silent Hill and Dead Island, as the residents of a tower block come to terms with the apocalyptic events that are unfolding around them.

I'm not yet sure if it's a recommendation but I'm halfway through Capitani on Netflix and have enjoyed it so far. It follows the same premise as Twin Peaks ─ some agent arrives in a small town filled with secretive oddballs to investigate the murder of a teenage girl ─ but whereas Twin Peaks was made by an artsy visionary weirdo, this feels more like an accountant's first foray into filmmaking in how down-to-earth it's all presented.

It's hard for me to objectively judge it since it's the first local production I've seen in ten years (and only the third overall). Dialogue is rather snappy and authentic at times and most actors are surprisingly good (some of the better ones are wasted on side characters unfortunately). I'm not big into this genre of movies/shows but it's intriguing enough to make me keep watching and the 30-minute episodes make it easy to find some time for it.

Would be interesting to read feedback from someone without any kind of emotional attachment to its country of production. There's a British dub of all things available as well but I haven't checked if it's any good.

On 18/03/2021 at 10:31, Maryokutai said:

I'm not yet sure if it's a recommendation

After finishing it I'm inclined to say "no". It kind of completely falls apart in the second half when they introduce a plot twist that adds absolutely nothing to the overall storyline except a bunch of annoying logic flaws. The ending also feels rather underwhelming, when all the mystery they set up evaporates after its unveiling.

The Twin Peaks parallels are funny though. At some point there's even a lodge in the woods with red interior. 

Spoiler

It doesn't feature little people talking gibberish though, but is used as a place for Eyes Wide Shut sex parties.

If anyone else has Apple TV (or happy to steal stuff) then Ted Lasso is well worth your time. What first appears to be a pretty two dimensional comedy about a goofy American football coach coming to the UK to manage a failing premiership team turns into something really great, sweet and really fucking funny. I've watched most of the episodes twice as I watched it, raved about it so much to my wife that she watched it and then I sat and watched most of it again with her.

14 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

it started out as an advert on NBC Sports or something, I used to see it when I was flying to America to watch games that weren't televised here. I've heard a few people say it's good but I'm not sure I have it in me to try it

TBF  it doesn't feel like a very DANGERMAN thing, but I dunno. I'm no football expert, but all the football stuff seems very well written and is how I could imagine a club and locker room working, but obviously played for laughs. It was my favorite new thing I've watched in the last 12 months, but maybe it was just the right thing at the right time?

We started watching Ted Lasso after Jim's recommendation and it's really good. 

It's a little bit of an Americans view of Britain at times and some of the writing isn't authentic (parking lot one British character says for example) but it's got a lot of heart in it. You can't help but feel for Ted and admire how much of a good guy he is, especially in the face of so much hatred.

I Care a Lot (Amazon Prime)

Starring Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage, what starts out seemingly as an exposé on the US care system takes a sharp swerve after around 45 mins, when one of the 'patients' has a hidden past, and it veers into becoming an (implausible) action movie/thriller.

It's entertaining enough though, but not really what I was expecting. 

Imagine starting off watching "I Daniel Blake", then it ends up as being "Harry Brown".