passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game in Trouble

DANGERMAN

mad, surely their new game sales and Funko Pops can't sustain them, so this seems like they're close to shutting down. Which is extra mad, because they've just launched a fancy new store in Manchester, as well as opening one in the Arndale's new Sports Direct, admittedly 

Last time I looked for a title in games pre owned section it was almost the same price as a new sealed copy. 

So cant imagine many people wpuld go used from them.  Maybe if they reduced there salesc prices to a reasonable preowned level then they might have more joy. 

But to be honest cex has preowned market sewn up. So maybe ditching it is for the best. 

Yea I thought they pushed 2nd hand so much because that’s where the majority of their actual profit was. They’d give you £25 for a new game trade in then sell it for something like £45, basically £5 less than brand new. 

If this turns out to be true they'll be gone by the end of the year.

I've not set foot in a Game store since our local one shut down in 2021 (I think... did we have a lockdown in 2021? That whole time frame just moulds in to one now)

I'm all in with digital now in any case so it won't make much difference to me anyhow. 

I don't even know where mine is. They used to have a pretty big shop on the Headrow in Leeds. I used to buy steam codes form there because you got points, so it boiled down to free money.

I am sort of expecting CeX prices to head towards the bin once this takes root, since they will have no competitors to give a better deal.

Not that it matters really, it's all going digital. 

Thing is though, I’m not onboard the digital games bandwagon. As the prices for new digital games are absolute wank. There’s no box, no instruction manual (not that they’re really a thing anymore). Yet the prices don’t reflect that. 
Take FF7 Rebirth as an example. Shopto are selling the physical copy for £60. It’s £70 on the PSN store. Why? Why would you be expected to pay more, for less? 

I get games digitally, yeah. But never day one. Because the prices are ludicrous. Take Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth as another example. I’ve got that pre-ordered digitally. But I did that, by selling games I’d finished with, to get PSN credit to put towards it. 

CEX will definitely use this to fuck about with prices. I rarely use them these days. 

It’s most definitely the end of an era. I remember Game in its Xbox 360/ PS3 heyday. Hell, I got my PS3 significantly cheaper, because i sold a ton of games to pay towards it. 

Time to use up what little points I’ve got left with them then. 

It's simple. Stop buying games day 1. Last few games I've bought close to the launch were Battlebit and Lethal Company. Not played either of them, but they were like £10 tops. That's on me though, I am an idiot. :lol: 

As for big releases, fuck buying them on release. I sort of want Helldivers 2, but they are asking a bit of a piss take price for it. I get games are expensive to make and all, but I only am willing to spend so much. I bought Horizon Zero Dawn in the Christmas sale for like £11 all in for example. Yeah, it's old, but is it any different from when it came out? The answer is no. It's not. Generally the zeitgeist for buying in day 1 is not worth it. And in todays climate it's helped me avoid some fucking stinkers as well. I nearly bought PAYDAY3. I am thankful I sort of got over the I must be there day 1 FOMO. It's not worth it. It's helping me dodge expensive bullets.

For those that feel bound by that, I urge you to just try it out. Don't play it. Wait a month. Or Two. Wait 6 months or more. The game's going nowhere. Your money will go further, your enjoyment will stay the same. You have a backlog. Go look at that. There's some gems you've looked over.

The weird paradox is that nearly all of Game's high street competition fell away (MVC, Woolworths, Virgin/Zavvi, HMV, Blockbuster, independents (inc Game Centre (Scotland)), even supermarkets cut back / stopped selling video games) yet they still couldn't make it work - but maybe that's the thing, perhaps the margins in the sector are so poor, that's why the others failed.

Furthermore, whilst I get the point Andy K is leaning towards, the industry has adopted a model of rolling online digital sales, which no doubt affects the physical market (as Sly says, new game prices usually fall within a few months (well Nintendo first party games aside)).

Wonder too how much the change in online transactions affected them too (back when they use to sell MS Point Cards, PS Credit etc) before direct electronic payment to e-shops became the norm.

I was surprised a few weeks ago in Bristol that the Game shop still has one of those online gaming lounges as it's main focus (can't recall how they are branded) but neither can I recall ever seeing many people using it.

Any reasonably savvy gamer isn't getting their games from brick-and-mortar shops anyway, we shop around and order online. The only thing that shops need to stock at this rate are FIFA and Switch titles, and you don't need a whole store for that. I imagine they'll keep the brand going online and as part of Sports Direct where they can have a few shelves dedicated to the above titles, plus all the other gaming adjacent stuff they now sell as well. Small footprint, lower overheads, no need for a whole unit

Prices definitely drop a lot these days, there’s digital sales on PSN frequently. I’m certainly guilty of thinking “Ooh I want it day one” (Hello, incoming copy of Prince Of Persia 😄). But there’s literally not enough hours in the day to play everything. 
I’ve had a month off work. Have I got through the entirety of my backlog? Have I hell.

So yeah, Sly is right. Patience is a virtue. Do I want Helldivers 2? Definitely. Am I paying £35 for it? Am I bollocks.

The only place I get physical games from now is Shopto, and that’s because I can pay games off in instalments. 

Anyway. If Game honestly think cutting out trade ins will save them, they must be delusional. 

The report on the BBC Website says they're stopping the Game Elite* program too.

Yep, don't imagine that affects anyone here.....

* IIRC you could pay an annual subscription for 10% off things and a bonus on your birthday.