passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New xbox and PS4 at E3

Hendo

Sony will also "show" its new console - presumably PlayStation 4 - at the annual E3 expo this summer, a foil-wrap-fresh report has claimed.

UK trade website MCV provided no further information. The tip apparently came from an "exemplary" and "ultra high level" source.

"Obviously we can't reveal our sources," wrote MCV writer Ben Parfitt on Twitter. "But you have my personal word on this - the source is exemplary, 100 per cent concrete, ultra high level."

He added: "Really, really wish I could name him/her/them/it but obviously cannot."

Sony UK told Eurogamer this morning that "we don't comment on rumour and speculation".

Microsoft is widely expected to show a new Xbox - or two - at E3 2012. And an announcement may come even earlier - as soon as next week at the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

Has knowledge of a new Xbox forced Sony's hand - a company that has been outspoken about its long-term, 10-year plan for PlayStation 3?

Jim Ryan, PlayStation Euro boss, suggested so - telling Eurogamer in November that it would be "undesirable" to concede another head start advantage to Microsoft with the next generation of consoles.

Technology giant Apple will release two new iterations of the iPad this year, a new report suggests.

Apple will ship the iPad 3 in March, followed by the iPad 4 later in the year - perhaps as soon as October.

The iPad 3 will flaunt an improved display and longer battery life, component makers of the device told Digitimes.

But despite a more detailed QXGA (1536 x 2048 pixels) screen display, the iPad 3 will otherwise not provide a huge leap in technology from iPad 2.

That huge leap, the report claims, comes this autumn with iPad 4. That's the name Apple's component company gave it - no iPad 3S malarkey here.

iPad 4 boasts "much upgraded" hardware and "integrated applications", enabling it to compete with the army of new Android and Windows 8-based tablets due late 2012.

A two-pronged, cheap and pricey approach allows Apple's iPad to both attack entry-level devices like Kindle Fire and Google's budget tablet, as well as see off challengers in the high-end market it dominates.

I think all of that is highly likely. All Sony and MS have to do is show the briefest of glimpses of new machines, unlikely to be something for release this year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do have a habit of announcing products just before they go on sale though, so it's plausible.

What do we think would be in a new Xbox or Playstation? I think upgraded Kinect built in for Xbox, maybe some Move-like controllers as well.

The one thing I really want, and is starting to get silly now, is the ability to customise my dashboard so I can make a custom library of games. At the moment you've got the last 10 used but I would rather make my own list so I can have my backlog to hand.

I disagree with you there Hendo. I can't imagine them having kinect built in or have controllers, there's no sense to.

I have no idea what these consoles could bring. Has to be something big though.

I think the 360 follow up should be called the nextbox or the kinextbox depending on what it comes with. On that not I think it might well come with Kinect as standard, but the form factor of it will be the same sort of thing as now (so like the wiimote in that it's improved but looks the same as the old version). Beyond that I can't really see much changing, maybe a bluray drive and a lot of harddrive space

the PS4 I think Sony will be sony will be sony. So powerful, loads of features, and expensive. They'll probably push 3d, but it'll still be dependent on your tv, I could see it coming with some form of ssd drive, all be it a small one. The pad is a problem, I think the 360 one will stay pretty much the same, but the ps3 might change a bit. Problem is they'll want motion control in there, so we might see the eyetoy make a comeback to ape the kinect, with the standard pad either somehow incorporating Move, or a move controller being thrown in

Or they'll just be more powerful versions of what we've got and we'll love it

now they've seen where nintendo are going, would they pre-emptively copy them or wait to see if it's a success like with the motion controls? sony could sort of do this with vita maybe. i'm hoping for region free as a main feature, unlikely but then ps3 is region free for games. power i'd guess current average gaming pc of now so in a year that stuff will be cheap enough to put in a console. and sony could do something crazy with the architecture like they often do (1000 core processor will allow real-time time travel through the 4th, 5th and 6th dimensions) although apparently vita is pretty standard (i read it was like a 4 core ipad2 cpu...could have been reading bolocks mind, or mis-remembering).

that's a good point, I forgot about the Vita stuff, although that's kind of already in the ps3. Which is why I think it's so hard to predict anything outlandish. Microsoft clearly think there's a market for kinect, and it's sold well enough to support that, but for all the piss taking Sony did kind of make a future-proof-ish console in some regards. It doesnt need a new storage medium, it supports 3D easily, and it can do remote play.

As an add on to my predictions, I also think that by the end of the next gen you'll be able to stream games a la onlive

I disagree with you there Hendo. I can't imagine them having kinect built in or have controllers, there's no sense to.

Really? I'd be willing to bet serious money that the next Xbox will come with some form of Kinect or similar motion/voice sensor as standard.

I personally think that the next Xbox might have to have a blu-ray drive, but they would need to licence the tech from Sony, as every other blu-ray manufacturer has to. I'm not sure if Microsoft is willing to go down that road.

Another option would be no disc drive at all, with a push for a completely downloaded game library, similar to Steam. Maybe even Steam integration. This would make the software companies very happy, as it would drastically reduce the second hand market. I'm not sure if the gamers would like it much to start with, but as with all things we can't change, we'd either get used to it, or vote with our wallets. Games could still be sold in store, but would be sold as code cards, similar to Xbox live subscriptions and points.

I'd also like to see full 1080p, 60fps as a standard on all games. More and better media integration, with more free content, like perhaps the option to stream internet radio. Maybe even a web browser.

Whilst I know that Kinect is here to stay, and Microsoft will continue to push it, I'm one of the ageing few that doesn't want to play games by waving limbs, and talking at the screen. The reason why I've not bought Skyward Sword on the Wii is because while it may be a really good Zelda game, I just want to sit on my sofa with a game-pad. Please bloody well let me play the game how I want to play it. If it was a PC game, I'd have a multitude of ways I could control it, from vocal recognition to waving my Ipod around. But the Pc lets me decide how I want to play. I'm not told "these are the controls, get used to them. You can't change them" I don't want much, just a little flexibility. Skyward Sword would be in my home, if I could just plug a classic controller in the Wiimote.

And my final moan, or my final hope for the next Xbox. Microsoft propriety hard-drives. Sony lets you put pretty much whatever hard-drive you want in their PlayStation. Microsoft have one kind, and it costs a bundle. I'd love them to drop that. Then I could put a cheap 1 terabyte laptop drive in my console, and not worry about it again.

Does anyone else feel the ps3 is a fail if 4 really is coming in 2013? It was bigged up so much as being better than 360 if devolved for soley for, but in reality they're on par. BR discs can hold more info but that seems to be the limit.

Didn't they claim that there'd be no 4 for a few more years yet? The systems firmware is barely different from launch too. Sony and Nintendo haven't put much effort into their consoles in that respect. Microsoft seem genuinely interested in keeping you interested.

I'm not sure that's fair, PSN is massively improved on what it was (still limited by lack of OS memory as I understand it), the XMB is great on the ps3, and off the top of my head they added video streaming via lovefilm, iplayer 4OD etc, and of course Home :lol:

I'd agree it hasn't shown enough of what it can do in terms of horse power, particularly with 3rd party games, but then none of us can use 3D which they really pushed. And fwiw, the last 2 Uncharted and Killzone games and God of War are beyond what the 360 is capable of imo.

Where it has failed is in the idea of a 10 year life. The PS1 and 2 had games released after the launch of their successor, i can't see the same happening on ps3 for the same length of time

I personally think that the next Xbox might have to have a blu-ray drive, but they would need to licence the tech from Sony, as every other blu-ray manufacturer has to. I'm not sure if Microsoft is willing to go down that road.

No one company 'owns' Blu Ray

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

I guess the next Xbox might have a BD drive (I assume they make them fast enough not to need mandatory installs now?), but there's also rumours of a proprietary format (perhaps based on HD-DVD?)

MS will continue to advance on the digital distribution side of things, but I'm sure it's going to have physical media too.

I don't think it'll have blu-ray as its something that is more associated with its rival and it's a dead format anyway. Think it'll definitely have a psychical media drive as there is still people without decent Internet (or no Internet at all) so maybe it's own variation on hd-DVD.

It'll focus more on Internet, with downloads, streaming etc. pushed more as a family media hub as well as being a games machine.

Don't think kinect will be built into the console, although that might happen. It'll be a lot more powerful without a doubt. Can't see the point in having sshd as its too expensive.

Being able to swap hdd would be awesome but probably unlikely.

It'll definitely have physical media. There's no way Microsoft will go digital-only just yet. Plus it'll be incentive for casual 360 owners to upgrade if they can play their old games on it. And as Jimbo pointed out, there are a lot of console owners without internet, especially in the US.

I don't see any reason why I won't be there day one for the 360 successor. I just hope they can work out how to get all my XBLA, DLC, Achievements etc over on to the new machine. I'm sure they will.

yeah i definitely think it'll have a drive, hope it's a blu-ray one. although lots of companies contribute to blu-ray specification or whatever, i read sony take a good chunk of the money for every disk made - not sure how true that is mind, but i hope they'll pay it.

i don't think it'll be hard to bring over xbl games to the new console, they already have license transfer tools so i hope it'll be the same thing. nintendo really need to work on that, games currently tied to the console is completely rubbish. and hopefully sony/nintendo both have cross game party chat, that is one awesome feature imo.

i don't think sony is a failure for not making the 10 year lifespan, they have to match MS and nintendo or they'd just get left behind imo.

Does anyone else feel the ps3 is a fail if 4 really is coming in 2013? It was bigged up so much as being better than 360 if devolved for soley for, but in reality they're on par. BR discs can hold more info but that seems to be the limit.

Didn't they claim that there'd be no 4 for a few more years yet? The systems firmware is barely different from launch too. Sony and Nintendo haven't put much effort into their consoles in that respect. Microsoft seem genuinely interested in keeping you interested.

I'm not sure that's fair, PSN is massively improved on what it was (still limited by lack of OS memory as I understand it), the XMB is great on the ps3, and off the top of my head they added video streaming via lovefilm, iplayer 4OD etc, and of course Home :lol:

I'd agree it hasn't shown enough of what it can do in terms of horse power, particularly with 3rd party games, but then none of us can use 3D which they really pushed. And fwiw, the last 2 Uncharted and Killzone games and God of War are beyond what the 360 is capable of imo.

Where it has failed is in the idea of a 10 year life. The PS1 and 2 had games released after the launch of their successor, i can't see the same happening on ps3 for the same length of time

I wouldn't really put God of War in there, it looks really nice and all, but I think given the time and money it could be done on the 360. You missed Flower though, there's no way that could be done on its main rival.

It'll definitely have physical media. There's no way Microsoft will go digital-only just yet. Plus it'll be incentive for casual 360 owners to upgrade if they can play their old games on it. And as Jimbo pointed out, there are a lot of console owners without internet, especially in the US.

I don't see any reason why I won't be there day one for the 360 successor. I just hope they can work out how to get all my XBLA, DLC, Achievements etc over on to the new machine. I'm sure they will.

See, this is where where a lot of brand loyalty will come in. If Microsoft and Sony allow me to sign in with my current game id's (as you can with the Winows ID and PSN networks currently allow you to do in some round about ways) and access everything I own through LIVE 3.0 and PSN 2.0, along with all the achievements and trophies I've collected along the way, then I feel that that may effect peoples adoption of the new consoles. If they go against doing something like this, I could see a bit of an uproar.

What I do think is that Sony need to fucking sort the online out. Most of my friends are PS3 owners, and listening to them trying to organise a session is pure fucking hell. When they were all into CoD, they would basically send each other text messages saying what time they'd be on (even to people they never met in real life), co-ordinate updating their systems so nobody was left out. Then they'd have their laptops ready so that they could go into skype so they could talk to each other because VoiP is wank on PSN. Then they'd attempt to join games until they managed to get everyone in the same session. These steps are repeated over again if the lobby they get into is being hacked , which is quite prevalent apparently, certainly in the CoD games and in MAG. It's been like this for every fucking game they have played almost, it's one of the main reasons I hardly play online because no matter how good the games are, the online infrastructure is proper wank. I don't want to have to sit there pinging messages back and forth (my friends use text messages because it's quicker and more direct), I don't want to piss about having a laptop with skpe running, I don't want to sit there with my 360 on so I can talk to the people I'm playing with. It's a fucking really dumb set up that needs ditching, even if it means swallowing their pride and doing it the way MS have done, then do it. On LIVE I can press guide button, see what people are playing and in one button press can join a players party, game, and if the game is in or on the console, fucking launch the bastard as well. When my friends see me physically do this in front of them, they sort of pass it off saying they prefer to do it their way, which is just the dumbest thing ever. Sort of people saying that PC gaming is the best thing ever, then spending hours messing about trying to get something to work because the game suffers crippling faults because something is set up wrong somewhere.

If Sony needs to charge for providing a service like this, then so be it. I remember a lot of people refusing to pay to play online on 360. Now if you look at my friend list on PSN, most of them are on PSN+ accounts. Now, yeah, you get discounts and free stuff, but it's not really free because you already paid for it, and you have literally no control over what they are going to give you. For every awesome thing you got free, there are 20 things you don't fucking want or need. You might as well just buy the thing you want and fuck the rest. It's the gaming equivalent of giving Tesco £40 for £100 worth of weekly shopping, but instead of getting £100 of good stuff, you get maybe a few steaks, some beers and the rest is cling film, shoe polish, bird seed and A4 notepads. Now when I hear my freinds bitching on how PSN is a cunt to use, why would they take cheap or free games over a service that actually works with little hassle.

I'd be surprised if the XBLA games carry over because they'll no doubt have to get the licenses back which either won't happen full stop, or you have to pay a fee, like you do for carrying over Rock Band tracks from one disc to the next.

They'll only have made contracts for use on the 360 specifically, which will mean new contracts drawn up. Same as Activision not guaranteeing the old Tony Hawks music appearing in the HD remake.

@Sly, it's not a cost thing with Sony, apparently at the last minute they dedicated some ram set aside for the OS to the processor, so they can't guarantee there's enough spare for chat and to add it would mean breaking old games, so its just never happened

Really? I'd be willing to bet serious money that the next Xbox will come with some form of Kinect or similar motion/voice sensor as standard.

Ok, that was mainly towards the having controllers bit.

I've been away for a bit so..

• I really hope it isnt just downloadable games
  • Sony could take a nasty hit if Xbox gets blu rays
  • Being able to record sounds like a pretty awesome idea.