passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Zelda: The Skyward Sword

spatular

Yea, this is awesome.

Fuck there is a lot of talking and hand holding. And just when you think the NPC is done talking, it says one more thing. The controls are pretty good, i've had trouble stabbing, (always does a vertical strike), otherwise im actually enjoying chucking the mote and nunchuck around.

The first temple is the hardest first temple in a Zelda game ive ever played, the boss killed me. Although second time round i kicked its ass in about 60 seconds. The Beetle weapon is cool!

Oh, and bonding with flying creatures? cough..Avatar..cough.

What a perfect time of year to start a magical gem of a game.

Oh, and bonding with flying creatures? cough..Avatar..cough.

Is this a wind up? Avatar, the breadth of originality.

Yes, its a wind up you cunt. Did i dare mention a film to film boy? My bad.

Its a relevant comparison anyway...

And i didnt even know there were modes? Thats not like Nintendo from the off, you normally have to unlock that shit.

Im only dipping in and out of this, done just over 6 hours but im enjoying taking my time. Just done all the pre-gubbins to get in to the second temple, had to look for a key that was split in to five parts using a technique called "dousing" which only me, illdog, can do. Already the best game ive played on the Wii.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else playing this?

I'm way into the 2nd section now, I think I have one more temple to complete before end game :(

Pushing 25hrs now.

It has been a magical journey. Really nice to be able to enjoy it knowing that there is always more to come, it is jam packed with ideas and new areas to explore. Love this game.

I started it last weekend, I think I've got to the bit where the game starts properly. I'm on the surface and just entered the woods, helped some big fella who was taking a beating. It seems pretty decent so far, hard to say given that I've only really done the intro, but there's already been a few enemies where I've had to attack the right way.

• 4 months later...

So I brought my Wii back from work after it had been there for longer than this thread has existed and thought hmmm, whats good?

Cant find this pre-owned ANYWHERE, curse the world.

Worth 40 quid?

Really enjoying this, its definitely harder than the others, the combat, which has so far been very simplistic with no major bosses so far just minions and kind of mini boss, really makes you think about it. In previous games baddies were pretty much just a case of mashing away but here they will defend and obviously the system knows which direction you are going to swing in because of where you are holding the remote so the baddies know how to block your attacks, I nearly got killed by a skulltula for fucks sake.

The world, both above and below the clouds is wonderfully well created, its got that Mario Galaxy esque open but contained level design to it, cant wait until the dungeons scale up later on. The sky world travel so far is quite reminiscent of sailing around in Wind Waker rather than riding Epona around the fields like Twilight Princess, but its more fun than Wind Waker because you is doing teh flying lolz.

So far so good, id like to see it go more Twilight Princess than Wind Waker but im not going to cry if it doesnt.

Also, one negative point, I dont like how blurry stuff is, I know its part of the art style to be like water colours or whatever but it doesnt do it for me, next gen Zelda has to be sharp and brilliant.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a Wii just to play this and as is often the case when you buy a console for just one game it is kind of disappointing. It has all of the lovely Zelda business going on and that is great but my problem so far is that there is all this ... stuff. Stuff that has been added so the game can be seen to be keeping up with contemporaries. Stuff like inventory limits and breakable shields which feel so arbitrary and do nothing but make the experience feel cluttered. The fact that every single enemy comes at you blocking attacks from every direction and you are forced to flail at them impotently is incredibly frustrating. It makes me feel like I am having one of those dreams where I am trying to hit someone but my punches have no power, I am just waving my arms around and nothing is happening, the person is just standing there waiting for me to actually do something.

The worst thing is every now and then I get into this rhythm and enemies fall over the second I look at them funny but I have no idea why. I am doing the same thing, they just seem to feel sorry for me for a while, then they go back to blocking everything. It is all just so frustrating!

Also, can you really only equip one item at a time even though there are three buttons going begging on the D-Pad?

On the plus side it is Zelda. I am flying round and I feel like shit is about to get real at any moment. There are all these weirdos wandering round asking for help and Link looks like a half made up transvestite. Sometimes it is genuinely excited and like all Zeldas there is such a strong feeling of nostalgia while playing it. It's great seeing how various things from Zelda lore are interpreted this time round and sometimes it all really comes together and feels great to play. I have just done the fiery area and the boss in that section was so satisfying. It's just that every time I have had difficulty or died I know that it happened because of the controls. Not because I suck. Because I am a fucking boss at Zelda B)

It makes me feel like I am having one of those dreams where I am trying to hit someone but my punches have no power, I am just waving my arms around and nothing is happening, the person is just standing there waiting for me to actually do something.

Ah yes, one of those dreams :unsure:

The worst thing is every now and then I get into this rhythm and enemies fall over the second I look at them funny but I have no idea why. I am doing the same thing, they just seem to feel sorry for me for a while, then they go back to blocking everything. It is all just so frustrating!

Yeah this is fucking annoying actually, ten minutes trying to be really quick and get to the opposite direction that they are blocking, and then all of a sudden their weapons turn to butter and they dont block a thing. Quite satisfying when you hear that quick succession 'duh duh duh'

There are all these weirdos wandering round asking for help and Link looks like a half made up transvestite.

:lol:

There is something of sexier Pat Butcher about him this time

On the plus side it is Zelda. I am flying round and I feel like shit is about to get real at any moment. There are all these weirdos wandering round asking for help and Link looks like a half made up transvestite. Sometimes it is genuinely excited and like all Zeldas there is such a strong feeling of nostalgia while playing it. It's great seeing how various things from Zelda lore are interpreted this time round and sometimes it all really comes together and feels great to play. I have just done the fiery area and the boss in that section was so satisfying. It's just that every time I have had difficulty or died I know that it happened because of the controls. Not because I suck. Because I am a fucking boss at Zelda B)

Yeah all this stuff is what makes it great, the early part just flying about, I like this games take on the lore as well. Its definitely destined to be one of the more overlooked games in the series unfortunately, I hope they put a shit ton of effort into the next one and just make it fucking amazing and it gets back to being a well received gem of a franchise like it used to be.

• 6 months later...

I bought this cheap last week, and started it a couple nights ago. I've just finished the first dungeon. It's lovely. By turning the sharpness down a bit, I've got it looking pretty darn beautiful. I love the effect of places in the distance, that paint style works so well. The controls are great on the whole, although every now and then they don't feel quite as good as they should. Loving what I've played though, there's definitely no filler from what I've played so far. Just excellent, highly pleasurable gaming.

I really appreciate that there are bird statues all over the place, it makes things a lot more manageable for me being able to save often.

Skyloft is a nice place to be. That music. :wub:

• 10 months later...

Just started this. Graphics are lovely but the game could be a PS2 game right?

Everything is very pleasant, but the game does seem to be trying hard to make a terrible first impression. The camera is truly awful. Not quite sure why a big blue arrow pops up when you want to throw something or why the wiimote is visibile on screen at all times...

On the plus side, I love the sexual tension between Zelda and Link. Seems like the two are bursting to jump into the sack.

I've played through the Faron Woods and am now at the Forest Skyview Temple, also explored some of the smaller islands. This game is great. It gets off to slow start but once you start adventuring around the Faron Woods, everything just clicks into place, it's that Zelda magic.

I think Beedle is my favourite recurring character. :D

Beedle_SS_rough.jpg

• 7 months later...

Ive no idea why I stopped this the last time, no idea whatsoever. Im back on it again, starting from scratch because it's the right thing to do. Just got the goddess sword and am on my way to find Zelda. Pretty happy about playing this, it does things to my feels.

• 6 years later...

I guess we can use this thread to talk about the game?

Digital Foundry give it the thumbs up on nearly everything from improved presentation, frame rate, quality of life additions, sound and generally everything else. The only things that are apparently not good are the game pad controls. For the motion controls you need to recentre a lot more than the original because there’s no sensor bar for the TV. 

Sounds pretty good.