passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

What's Dante missing out on?

Hendo

So me, Badger and Sly agreed that Dante has missed out on some of the best games of this generation because he doesn't buy digital games on the 360 (minus the two that his missus bought, Puzzle Quest and Kingdom for Keflings) and the most obvious one just leapt out at me - Braid! You can't buy it on disc and it isn't a re-released old game like Rez.

What's your favourite digital games, and why should he care?

The thing with the better digital games is that they offer something that you cant get at retail anymore (or ever). It's why Braid was so special, and it's why even though some here didnt take to it Splosion Man is worth buying. I'm sure others will have more to recommend but after those two (unless I'm missing something, geometry wars i guess), most fo the better games were released elsewhere. Not that that means they shouldnt be bought, xbla has some of the best games ever on it

World of Goo, Lost Winds, PictoPic and Trials HD, i know alot of people dug Castle Crashers alot more than i did but there is a fuckton of great download only games. Your missing out Dante - man up. (altho i do admire your last gen gaming and enjoy reading about what your playing)

Braid, Splosion Man, Battlefield 1943, Puzzle Fighter HD, SSFTHDR2, The Maw

I would say Castle Crashers but thats going over to the PS3, and Peggle but thts on everything!

Shadow Complex thats come out today?

tbf though Braid is out on pc and coming to ps3, 1943, puzzlefighter (i think) and streetfighter are on ps3, and World of Goo, Lost Winds, PictoPic arent even on the 360, so this thread isnt exactly nailing its remit :lol:

(EDIT: I tyhink i'm the one thats missed the point :( )

Thanks for the interest in my luddite ways. Braid was tempting after I played it but i thought it was a: bit pricy and b: meandering plot of a love lorn 6th former...

One of my problems with downloadable content is accesability and equality. Last night Hendo couldn't use his uber charachter because I didn't have an additon to Puzzle Quest.

If I wanted to play GOW2 with Sly, I'd probably have to pay £25 worth of downloadables to join in with him (maps, lvls, etc). Is this fair? Well, yes : no ones making me buy this but no: I miss out.

Most of the games on XBLA I've seen before or already own in original format. When it was all fields. Even the Fallout expansion packs are a bit pish...

N+, Pacman C.E., BF:1943 (for the idiots that missed out on BC), Outrun, Braid, RezHD, Geometry Wars Evolved 2 and Castle Crashers would be the what you should be picking up. I suppose Trails, Splosion Man and Shadow Complex could be considered too, as everyone seems to love them. This is just on LIVE, the list would be longer if you owned a PS3 Dante.

Im with Dante on this one, I dont think that the digital games so far have been amazing, the fact that people so far have generally only agreed on one maybe two titles says a lot.

It can be pretty expensive sometimes, and I always feel that whatever I pay for on Live Arcade could have been worth a bit less money. Hopefully Shadow complex will prove that wrong, but I feel that there is still some ways to go and that companies are kind if holding out on that front sometimes.

Some XBLA games I have enjoyed...

Castle Crashers - Classic side scroller with more jokes about farts and shit.

The Maw - Really charming experience but very little challenge.

Pacman - Like Pacman but faster, better and more exciting.

Omega 5 - Twin stick shooter with a lot of charm and huge characters that have tiny hitboxes.

Rez HD - Rez, but prettier.

Commando 3: Wolf of the Battlefield - It should be noted with this one that I am one of the few people that think it is super awesome.

Shadow Complex looks promising

Monkey Island

N+ - Dante will love this since it's hard to the point that all levels of fun disappear about half way through.

Prince of Persia - Took a while to click but when it did I enjoyed it a lot.

Battlefield 1943 - Not really better than BC though.

Stuff I didn't dig but I could see it was alright.

Braid

Splosion Man

Street Fighter blah blah blah remix HD POW

Space Invaders Extreme

Downloadable content I enjoyed

All the Fallout 3 stuff - Although your concerns about this being mainly shooting people are rightly placed. Point Lookout, the Pitt and Broken Steel have more of a focus on exploration than the other two, Point Lookout gives you a whole new area to explore just like you can with the full game so that might be for you.

GTA: The Lost and the Damned

Bit light on the downloadable content actually, well, kind of, only two games but one of them has six lots of it.

Indie games

Johnny Platform's Biscuit romp

Carneyvale showtime

I made a game with zombies!

Take that B)

i can only speak for xbl really, though ive played wipeout on the ps3 and that seems alright.

theres a few good fighters but 2 of them are just ports so i wont mention them. but Super Street Fighter II HD Remix was brillo pad, gorgeous updated graphics, very good online, nice training mode with cool features such as hitboxes, nice remixed tunes, some great rebalances in the characters and some characters even had their moves made easier i think (cammy?).

Battlefield 1943 is really good. a good-looking, balanced, compact fps using the tried and tested BF formula and their spiffy new game engine, for a relative pittance.

Golden Axe is gash now, but Castle Crashers isnt. great colourful graphics, lots of humour and crazy ideas. loooads of weapons and stat-boosting pets to collect. just a really enjoyable romp

World of Goo

Anyone who has any interest at all in fun should buy this game, just awesome, with a really clever atmosphere and storyline without a story (it makes sense if you've played it)

BUY IT NOW!

plus castle crashers is ace

though i don't tend to buy many digital downloads to be honest, but there are some crackers out there

I think its easier to list the XBLA games I didn't like.

Space Giraffe and Prince of Persia Classic. Every other game I got off XBLA has seen much love, there are a few old grouches that don't do the download thing and it just puzzles me.

I buy loads of the fuckers on all of the formats, they seem to best suit when you 30 mins to spare and can't quite face firing up a full retail game.

I freakin' love Xbox Live Arcade. I've played more XBLA titles than full retail games recently, I love the instant access.

Here's my collection, the stand out twelve (I couldn't narrow it down to ten) titles for me personally being:

• A Kingdom for Keflings
  • Battlefield 1943
  • Braid
  • Geometry Wars Evolved 2
  • OutRun Online Arcade
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition
  • Peggle
  • Shadow Complex
  • Super Street Fighter 2 HD
  • The Maw
  • The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
  • Worms 2: Armageddon

I have pretty much no qualms about the prices on XBLA. I think the value is very good on the whole. I do try to get my points for bargain prices, though. I just hope that I'm still able to access them on the next Xbox.

Also, avoid Arkanoid Live!

(EDIT: I tyhink i'm the one thats missed the point :( )

'Fraid so!

I should've made it clearer but I meant exclusive by the fact that you can't get it any other way other than by downloading it.

I was thinking more of the original stuff, not like Rez HD or Monkey Island.

Although you can also get it on PSP and DS (and the original version on PC), I would definitely hold up N+ as one of the better games, with proper value for money.

I have acquired 2100 MS Points by nefarious means and have downloaded a few of the above suggestions, such as Shadow Complex, N+ and 1943. They well all be appraised and one or two of them might receive a Golden Ticket onto my hard drive. Peggle is still pointless skill-less pish though. :rolleyes: