passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

i agree about the dialogue on loads of stuff now i just got used to having subtitles on most of the time, it annoys me when there isn't a subtitle option for the english versions of things.

liked andor overall though but yeah does start slow and some episodes were a bit boring.

Succession is going to 'fuck off' with season 4

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/the-end-of-succession-is-near

I really like this series a lot but I'm also glad they're wrapping it up, 5 would have been too much of the Roys. Most anticipated tv event for me, once TLOU fucks off

edit teaser trailer

I'm nearly finished the most recent season of Stranger Things, I decided to finally watch it after Andor didn't work out. It's pretty good, but can also be a hideous slog. I'm on the last episode, but I actually don't know if I have it in me to watch it because this episode is 2 and a half hours long, and you can't cut an episode up into segments without it feeling all weird imo (at least that's how I've found it with some of these extremely long episodes).

They have so many characters but some are really underserved to the point you wonder if they were doing something else at the time and weren't available. Jonathan does nothing. Then they spend ages on characters and storylines that aren't that interesting, and spend way less time with characters who could get more to do. Maybe the cast is a bit bloated, they need to start killing off some of these fecking kids imo. It's mildly diverting stuff but a bit of a slog overall tbh. Good soundtrack tho

I'm sort of annoyed that every season has the exact same story. Wish they went a bit more daring with it.

13 hours ago, Nag said:

You really do need to watch the final... maybe it was just me but it really didn't feel that long while watching.

Yeah it clips along pretty quick if you're into the story. I enjoyed this season, I agree it is pretty much the same story beats over and over and they need to be more willing to take chances with the characters.

On 22/02/2023 at 19:31, one-armed dwarf said:

I watched an episode of Andor, I thought it was a boring as fuck disconnected stream of uninteresting events. 2nd time this happened to me with these Star Wars tv shows, I need to stop trusting ppl who say they're really good!

I'm sure it improves, but yeah not interested in seeing if it does sadly. I think you just need to already be really interested in this style of Star Wars story before going in I think, cause it had nothing for me and didn't feel that new or interesting

Also even if it got better, it's impossible to hear some of the dialogue and turning english subtitles on for english language content is something I hate (I don't want to read what actors say before they say it)

You should give it another chance. We're watching it at the moment and after a pretty poor first episode, it becomes something pretty special, especially episode 3 onwards. We've not finished it yet, but I'll be surprised if it isn't just about the best thing Disney have done with Star Wars so far

Unfortunately I can't really argue with arguments like 'it gets good at episode 3' without being a hypocrite, cause I've been telling people to stick with Succession until episode 6 before they drop it

Might try it again down the line... after rewatching Succession of course

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Succession rewatch ahead of the final season. Searching for my earlier comment on it I saw I said it was a B tier show that could be A tier, but actually I think now on 2nd watch it is already almost A tier, despite S3 being kind of rocky. It's better the 2nd time through for some reason.

It does a very good job I think at telling you what each of these asshole kids was like as an actual kid and the emotional scars they are trying to hide. They're all so paralyzed by their wealth. Accumulating more of it only makes them more miserable and the more used they become to that opulence the less likely they are to imagine and find ways to thrive outside of their tyrannical father's sphere of influence. I know that a show that's about rich assholes it's a hard sell, but basically the best way to look at it is that it's Arrested Development but with a more serious tone, and some very dark humour right out of The Thick of It and Peep Show.

It's excellent stuff, I think it's in my top 5 TV shows now. Might even put it above Deadwood at this point, depends on how it ends.

Oh, also watched that extremely long Stranger Things finale a while ago. It was decent, very visually impressive and had a fun needle drop and they allowed it to go properly violent and grizzly. I forget sometimes the age rating on this thing, sometimes it feels very pg-13 but it tests the boundaries of that pretty well. Some Hellraiser vibes 

Yeah, I was watching lots of interviews and they say they play around with the scenes, and the writers feed that back into the show. I think that's why all the actors fit into their roles so well and it feels so genuine (even tho the characters are such fake posers).

eg, the stuff with Roman and Gerri 

Spoiler

apparently they took notice of the way Culkin and Cameron were flirting during scenes and made that a plot point.

anyway I watched season 1 of White Lotus. It's decent, I think? Another 'rich people ruining the world' drama actually. Funny, but not quite as good as I'd hoped. Murray Bartlet is excellent tho (Frank from TLOU)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to keep hypemongering Succession all the time, but each of the 4 episodes of S4 we've got so far has been better than the last. I'd thought they'd started to lose their touch a bit with season 3, but S4 so far has only registered that (still mostly great) season of TV as a momentary blip on the radar. That they're striking it so confidently out of the park in its finale season is just very exciting 

13 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I don't want to keep hypemongering Succession all the time, but each of the 4 episodes of S4 we've got so far has been better than the last. I'd thought they'd started to lose their touch a bit with season 3, but S4 so far has only registered that (still mostly great) season of TV as a momentary blip on the radar. That they're striking it so confidently out of the park in its finale season is just very exciting 

I didn't think 4 was as good as 3, but I also barely blinked. Such high quality TV, it is insane!

Jimbo - It might be smart to catch up with Succession and keep up to date as I think there will be a ton of spoilers when it concludes in 6 weeks' time... (we're also just starting Barry, seen 2 episodes)