passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

Got the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album the other day from iTunes and id only really heard one song from it, but ive been really impressed by it. Ive always liked them, Gold Lion was greats and Maps is one of my favourite tracks, and this album doesnt really have any of those kind of tracks on it, but they are all just really good album tracks.

It's good isnt it. I wasnt too impressed by their second album, this one seems to be complete rather than sporadic too

I've mostly been listening to MeWithoutYou 'It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All A Dream! It's Alright', and they're awesome. I do believe it's going to be my album of the year for the lyrics alone

I got a few albums recently - the first Bat For Lashes album, some old Biffy Clyro albums, some Eagles of Death Metal, a band called Combichrist, a band called Future of the Left, Ladyhawke, Miike Snow, some Nitzer Ebb and the Sparklehorse album that has loads of special guests on, like Iggy Pop and Nina Persson. Apparently it was something to do with a book by David Lynch, in partnership with him, but they fell out or something. wiivo would know.

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to Doves first album the other day. I havent listened to it in about 8 years (I was at college i think) but i loved it back then. I didnt like their second album and the heavy play they got killed them for me, but listening back to it, it really was a good album.

I'm going to see The Leisure Society tonight in Manchestaaaar.

I'd never heard of them but a mate bought tickets and said they were really good so I bought the album straight to my phone and it's amazing! I should've heard of them sooner, seems they have a pedigree:

The Leisure Society is a band formed by Nick Hemming, formerly of early 1990s indie band She Talks To Angels which included actor Paddy Considine, film director Shane Meadows and bassist Richard Eaton. Hemming wrote and performed music for the films A Room for Romeo Brass and Dead Man's Shoes. He was also a member of The Telescopes.

The first single from the album, 'The Last of the Melting Snow', was released on December 15 2008 and has received extensive radio play on Zane Lowe's Radio 1 show, Marc Riley's BBC 6 Music show, Lauren Laverne's 6 Music show and Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie's Radio 2 show, where they were voted 'Record of the Week' by listeners with a record 90% of the vote. Marc Riley also invited them to perform a live session for 6music on December 15 and Mark Radcliffe tipped the single as a candidate for a left field Christmas number one. Guy Garvey named the song his favourite of 2008 and has been a vocal supporter of The Leisure Society continually since then. 'The Last of the Melting Snow' received a nomination in the Ivor Novello Awards 2009 for Best Song Musically/Lyrically, competing against Elbow and The Last Shadow Puppets. Hemming told The Times that he "spent New Year's Eve sitting on the floor with a bottle of vodka, writing 'The Last of the Melting Snow'" after breaking up with his girlfriend.

Beautiful stuff, can't wait to see them! :D

Been listening to this all day:

http://www.ptesquad.com/more/pte018.html

A bunch of 8 bit musicians have gone and made a whole album of Weezer songs in 8 bit style, and some of them are very good (Buddy Holly is immense). Some of them have half baked singing though. Usually , the ones without lyrics are great, and I even like their versions of Weezer's sub par recent output. For free you can't go wrong really.

Anyone else watch(ing) the Neil Young documentary on bbc 2? It's awesome. He seems like he could be a bit of a dick, but he doesnt get nearly the credit he deserves for his songwriting and what he tries to do. Things like singing anti-bush songs to a republican crowd :lol:

Bit of a shame they ignored a chunk of his work in the doc though, Mirrorball is one of my favourite Neil Young albums, it sounded so much fresher than the stuff he'd been doing (although it was pure sludge)

• 1 month later...

This next few weeks is going to be good. Pearl Jam have got a new album coming out Monday, so have Brand New and the mighty Part Chimp! Then I think the week after the new Alice in Chains album is out, Idlewild finally get a new album out too. There's Volcano Choir (Bon Iver), who I've heard nothing of, but Bon Iver's album was awesome

Need to find some cheap sources for these, cant afford to buy all of them in the next couple of weeks :(

:lol:

Hey get off my back granddad and get with the times!

In all seriousness the albums i've named are prime examples of stuff I would/do pay for. Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Brand New and Idlewild are amongst my favourite bands. Part Chimp are too, but they're also a small band that needs the support.

I've got PJ preordered, the others i'd quite happily get digital if I can so long as they're cheap, if not it might have to be cdwow or wherever's cheapest

Back to pirating then, Ben? I've bought the a bit from iTunes since I was given a £50 voucher once, worked like a treat. I also would rather have a disc but sometimes they can be hard to get hold of.

I've been listening to loads of stuff since I last posted in here but I can't be bothered to go through it all, last thing was that new Muse album, I enjoyed Showbiz and Black Holes and Revalations, I really enjoyed Origins of Symmetry and Absolution but now I think we need to part ways. There's nothing I can really put my finger on why I don't like it, I just don't have much inclination to listen to it again. I know they're far from the most difficult band in the world but maybe it all seems a little too... I don't wanna say 'mainstream' because it isn't what I mean, maybe just dull.

went to a brick and mortar shop and bought a cd copy of Pearl Jams album as bang cd still havent sent my preorder, in fact it looks like they're still waiting on stock.

I was just going to sit it out, but with the CD version you get an enhanced cd that lets you download 2 free concerts, which is pretty cool. Annoyingly it doesnt work for me, but I've emailed their support so hopefully it will get sorted otherwise i will be doing some pirating.

Anyway heres there recent single and i love it

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

A few things, firstly Pearl Jam's album is brilliant. I generally prefer their folkier/acoustic stuff, All or None, Long road etc, didnt really get on with their last album. This though is a really good rock album, really clear production too which is a pleasant surprise. Gets better with each listen too :)

I've ended up caving and buying Brand New's new album off Play. I'd forgot how much I like Plays download service, it's really good quality, and you can redownload (I dont think amazon let you, could be wrong, but I know audio lunchbox dont let you). After 1 listen it's pretty good. Heavier than their last album, at first a bit too much so as I liked the complexity of 'the Devil and god...', but as the album goes on it opens up more. They really are an underrated band

Finally the ever awesome Part Chimp. As much as I want bands to progress and change, it's nice to have a couple that dont, and Part Chimp are one of those. Pure noise and stupidity. There's some great lyrics in their songs too, but its a nightmare trying to pick them out.

This reads like a blog post, sorry about that

What's the new Alice in Chains album like? I haven't heard anything about them since they reformed a year or two ago and supposedly toured with a different guest singer on each song? Who's singing for them?

Due to some unknown fuck up when I set up my second external music HDD, loads of my songs disappeared for no good reason, so I've been steadily re-importing all my CD's. It's gonna take ages, but it's reminded me of loads of albums I forgot I owned, and just how many Tom Waits and Miles Davis albums I have.

I've been driving my car with Miles Davis and Charles Mingus blasting out. Great times. :)

Alice in Chains is good, really good. There's Check My Brain which is the single, and the most single-y on the album.

Cantrell wrote, and sings most of the album, so it all sounds very AIC, except clearer and less muddy because it's newer. Really good though, better than there first album, I'd have to listen to it more to see how it stacks up to their others