passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

I spent the night listening to a load of Flaming Lips albums. I'd forgotten how much I like them and how strange they could be.

I also didn't realise how much stuff they've made. I'd stopped paying attention around At War With The Mystics, around 10 years ago. They've done a ton of albums since then, including a double album, Sgt Peppers covers album and Dark Side of the Moon covers album.

Right now, listening to Frank Ocean's new song "Chanel", I love it.

This year has gradually been kicking into gear music wise. The new Dirty Projectors album (self-titled) is great, I haven't listened to them in years but there's something about this record. Of course he released 4 of the 9 songs as singles before releasing the album, so I had reasonably high expectations, but the rest of the album is great too. It's kind of artsy. Parts of it remind me of listening to Yes, Brian Eno, Pink Floyd, artists like that. Maybe I'm talking through my hat.

Ditto the new Father John Misty record Pure Comedy, which isn't technically out yet but... I wasn't sure if I was going to be interested in another FJM album after wearing out (or feeling like I'd worn out) I Love You, Honeybear, but he's made a really impressive record here. The first song, the title track, lays his stall out pretty clearly. He's made a record about life and the world in 2017, made up almost entirely of slow ballads where the main focus is his voice (and he has a beautiful voice). Some people don't like FJM, I guess the kind of people who recoil at "white dudes". But I like him. It's not a perfect album but it's exactly the kind of thing I like listening to.

There are also new albums by Jens Lekman (Life Will See You Now) and Laura Marling (Semper Femina) which I've been listening to.

(Four in a row). Probably the album I'm most looking forward to this year is Crack-Up by Fleet Foxes. The debut single which they released in March is stunning:

And one week ago they released a teaser trailer which just made me smile the music is so beautiful.

• 1 month later...

Been listening to a lot of albums recently, especially Fleet Foxes' incredible new album "Crack-Up".

I posted the first single before and here's the second.

Fleet Foxes haven't put a foot wrong between the Sun Giant EP, their debut album Fleet Foxes, their second album Helplessness Blues and now this. Struggle to see this being beaten as my album of the year although Slowdive's album is excellent as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was one of YouTube suggestions - it did not disappoint.

Also been watching/listening to a lot of Postmodern Jukebox, some of my favourite covers. The version of Creep is pretty stunning.

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to quite abit recently but i've addicted to the production on this album..

I've also been listening to  lots of Helms Alee again..

Helms Alee are to me one of thoses bands i don't listen to for a while, kinda forget about them and come back and are like "Fuuuuu! they are so good"

• 2 weeks later...

An artist I haven't listened to in a LOOOOONG time - TQ.

I was stuck for ideas on Spotify so went to listen to his 2000 release, They Never Saw Me Coming. Turns out he has a new album and this is the title track...

I quite like it. He's got a good voice and it's got a nice feel to it. Really like the piano/keyboard track running throughout.