passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Has anyone tried Bing yet? It's surprisingly good. As long as you know what you're searching for it picks it right out. Sucks if you like browsing though, but I rarely do that anyway. It'll be Bing search for me every time I know I want to look into something.

I just went to buy Might & Magic while it's still on sale and had difficulty remembering where the sale section was. Not in the obvious place you'd expect - "Sales & Specials", oh no! You have to flip through those advert boxes to find the secondary sale running.

However I did try Bing and I'm pretty impressed even if I'm using it slowly through text as I don't have Kinect. But the core problem is you shouldn't have to rely on that instead of making the design better to find stuff.

Bing is the way forward. I will never browse again. I'll be direct to the point what I want.

For real?

Yeah. I wont be using Bing no the PC though, it's a pile of shit for that. For finding stuff on xbox it's really good, it does the job and that's all you can ask of it. It also has some pretty pictures in the background. I think it changed every week.

Impressed with the YouTube app, works well and is nice to have some of the longer videos I watch up on the big screen.

Tried the MuVu (or whatever it's called, the music video one) app and that's cool as well. There's loads of music videos on there from all sorts of genres. I could see it being useful for random background music at parties or whilst doing the cleaning :o

Apparently there's also an app called BlinkBox, which is an online movie rental service. Their website has the usual recent films up to rent for a reasonable sum, but also has a good selection of free movies and TV to offer as well. Most of them are pretty shit straight-to-DVD fodder tbh, but I saw a few films and TV on there i'd like to watch so hopefully they'll have the same selection available on the 360.

Overall i'm really impressed at how this update has progressed the 360. The Metro style takes a bit to get used to but it's not the worst it's ever been, it's just very different to past iterations. It's took it's sweet time about it but I think they're finally realising how important these media apps are to the average punter now, and for us gamers it's just gravy. Once the BBC iPlayer and 4OD apps finally go live I may not even need to ever tune into live TV ever again.

• 2 weeks later...

Microsofts policies confuse me somewhat.

They have removed all weapon like props as they go against the family friendly image they are after, yet they leave other fantasy weapons in such as the LIGHTSABERS. I know these are high fantasy weapons, but since when was a gun with a chainsaw on it not classed as high fantasy? That doesn't really make any sense at all. This also comes in ENERGY SWORD flavour. Or ROBIN'S BEAT DOWN STICK from Arkham City. Because using a stick to beat someone down is high fantasy.

It's OK though, what they take away with one hand, they give with the other kids, now you can sport some TATOOS. Expensive ones at that. You can't wield a fictional weapon because it's 'violent' but you can wear tattoos. That's totally family friendly and not contradictory at all Microsoft.

I have nothing against or for tattoos, but I think it sort of goes against Microsofts own policy in implementing them. Plus, they are very real, and as you say permanent. I personally think it's a bad idea to have them on show to kids given the disposable nature of the avatar stuff you can wear. Instead of just having a ban on stuff they didn't want minors to see they should have made it so that if you were underage none of these things appeared for you to view when looking at peoples avatars, similar to how when you try to start up a game that is above your age range it just blocks them off.

I agree that is how the should have handled it, especially if people have paid for some of this stuff (although a fool and their money...). I just dont think tattoos are comparable to machineguns with chainsaws attached, not that I think either should go