passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Underwhelming as usual for me, it has the distinction of being the only E3 press conference I've ever fell asleep in as well, but that wasn't due to the fayre shown rather being rather pickled on free wine from the Wedding Tasting. 

Horizon 5 looks amazing and I'm pleased its coming out this year otherwise Xbox's already barren 1P slate would've been truly horrendous. 

Aside from that it was just a big shrug from me. Great to see lots of stuff coming to Game Pass, biggest surprise was Back 4 Blood as I would've thought that would sell well on Xboxes, but yeah. 

Flight Simulator will run at 30fps on Series X on non VRR TVs, and unlocked on VRR.

That is the kind of performance you can expect with this, on my PC flying out of JFK it drops into single digits and devours all my CPU uptime. My gpu just goes zzz.

It is insanely demanding, 30fps is pretty good.

You'd expect the resolution to be decent tho

Was surprised to see about ten Series X systems stacked on top of each other in a store today. I was contemplating for at least five minutes whether I should get one or not but I really don't have any use for it until Halo is out. It was tempting though.

Yea that’s really interesting. Never thought of that for some reason but of course development for that game on S/X would have had to start before they were released. Basically giving your rival company your specs on a plate & trusting them not to leak it.  Guess it must have been too late for Sony to alter the PS5 design and spec by that point but still mad when you think about it. 

I don’t think Father Phil wants me to have an Xbox. I tried twice to apply for All Access at GAME on Friday and twice I got the credit agreement confirmed but couldn’t click the ‘confirm order’ button. ?

Will keep trying but don’t want to apply with GAME again anytime soon due to the credit checks they do.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the first things I'm going to do are finish of Ori 2 and finally finish Sunset Overdrive, I was never a big Fable fan unfortunately. 

Anyhoo, my impressions of it so far:

The Unboxing 'experience' (if you can call it that) was far superior to the PS5, just had a nicer feel to it with more premium materials and everything laid out really well, much more aesthetically pleasing with a lot more padding for protection (which was good because Box boxed it up with no outer box ?) the downside of this is a lot more non-recyclable single-use materials which is a little naughty in this day and age.

Upon opening the box I couldn't believe how small it is, it's pretty mad how much they've squeezed into that little box. As soon as I took the black wrapper off it looked really nice as well and had a nice premium feel to it, you can see a few of its innards as you look through the vents but that's inevitable given how much they've managed to cram in there. I wouldn't say it's any more Premium feeling that the PS5 though, for me, they feel about the same, both feel like nice products to the touch (not that I'll exactly be touching them much).

Completely different design philosophy to the focal point that is the PS5 but in situ the Series X looks really nice even on its side under the TV which I was surprised about. It isn't quite as 'black' as I was expecting it to be either which is nice, it's almost grey and a completely different tint than my old launch Xbox One was, I can't compare it to my One S as that was white in colour.

I fired it up briefly just to download all the updates and make sure it worked, I don't have anything to play on it yet and am waiting for some ebay money to go in so I can use the GP Ultimate trick to get 1 year for £41 so I can't yet give any impressions on that other than being immediately underwhelmed by the same Dashboard my old One S had.

Not trying to talk shit because I like my Xbox but it has to be in the running for the most boring console launch of all time. Boring doesn't automatically mean bad. It does exactly what I expected it to do. It runs nice, super quiet, the features work (Though instant resume is a bit hit and miss), Gamepass is cool.

But even as an adult when I fire a new console up for the first time I want to be excited by it. Xbox didn't have any of it. Especially since I had a One X. The controller is the same, the dashboard is the same, the games were the same! Unplugging a One X and putting in a Series X was almost a like for like swap. Compounded by the fact that download speeds on Series X are only marginally better than the One X (If better at all). So I had this very boring plug in followed by waiting 3 hours to download AC: Valhalla. Oi vey. 

It still did what I wanted it to do. The controller is good, the dashboard works well enough (Since I was already familiar with it), it runs the games it does have great. So no there were no complaints, but also no excitement. I'm not trying to talk shit but in terms of excitement factor. Well, there was none. 

Opposed to the PS5 where it's so much fresher, cleaner, newer feel to it. And it downloads super fast so it's away in no time. They took some backsteps with the PS5 for sure but in terms of out of the box impressions it was a clean sweep. 

Again, not talking shit about the Xbox. The way things have worked out it's getting maybe 40-50% of my gaming time. But I know what @DisturbedSwan is talking about when you first plug it in and it's like...ah. 

I'm not entirely sure why you'd expect any difference in download speeds?... I know I've not noticed any in either console, that's down to your Internet provider surely?

You would expect any improvement like that to not have much to do with the system itself but PSN/XBL.

Although it would also make sense for the wifi performance to improve, but use ethernet tho if you can. Because WiFi is shit (sometimes you don't have a choice tho, rented accommodation/houseshare etc)

It must be something to do with tech whether it’s in the box or their download tech because PS5 burns through downloads. I had 4 games yesterday totalling around 80-90gbs of data and it was done in less than an hour. That’s so much faster than the PS4 ever did it. And the PS4 downloads way faster than the Series X does.

I don’t know how it works but I can only say what it’s like. Xbox has always been slow and I was hoping with the Series X it would get faster. It’s still ridiculously slow, though. 

EDIT: I’m wireless but my internet is in the hallway. Not running a wire right through my flat for that.