passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

Sorry, just watched it again, poor description on my part. For some reason I remembered those shield enemies being samurais. ?

Think my brain must have made it so just because of the Japanese style buildings around you at beginning of the trailer and you have a sword. Don’t know, sorry ?. Still excited for that one though. 

No worries ? apparently it’s been on early access for ages. We have an impressions thread although I can find zero reviews and @DANGERMAN says it looks completely different than the pc version so I’ve no idea what’s happening here tbh but I think looks crap so I don’t mind either way. 

2 hours ago, Nag said:

So the Xbox Series X pre-order page has gone live (minus the actual pre-order button which is greyed out) so who do we think is going to blink first in this pricing stand off? And who's going to come out cheaper?

I think unless Microsoft sell SX at a massive loss it’ll be more expensive, I do think they will have to sell at some kind of loss to stay competitive though, I don’t think it’ll be more than $499/£499 as a result. 

The PS5 who know, there was that Wall Street Journal/Bloomberg article that said the cost of manufacture was $460 or something like that, but I expect Sony to take a loss up front as well to maintain a price advantage over the SX, it’s something they can now do as the company overall is in much better shape compared to 2013.

So SX: £499/$499 incl. VAT

PS5: £399/$399 Incl. VAT

I expect both to throw in x months of Game Pass/PS Now too.

59 minutes ago, Nag said:

£330 for PS5?... Really?

As much as I'd love that to be right I honestly can't see them launching for less than £400 and whatever they choose I I honestly think Microsoft will match them.

I think MS will probably announce a price first, if Sony undercut they'll revise it. Phil Spencer says he has the backing of his higher ups to be "liquid" in pricing so it's gonna be an interesting few months.

That was without VAT, I edited my post to adjust the prices to include VAT. The way I worked it out was $399 = £324.52 (rounded up to £330) + VAT is ultimately the price I think we’ll get (£390.52) but then that’ll get rounded up to £399. The PS4 launched for £350/$399 but then $/£ conversion was better back then. 

Whilst I think it’s definitely possible for Microsoft to do that, I don’t think they’ll be willing to dig that deep into the pockets to get to $399, just getting to $499 will require them to sell at quite a large loss I’d imagine so I feel $399 would be a bridge too far. 

But yeah, price will be critical.

Yeah I definitely think anything is possible pretty much this time around. Microsoft know one of the big reasons they lost last gen is they delivered an overpriced, underpowered console that was burdened with a Kinect camera not many folks wanted. 

This time round they’re shipping a Powerful console, not burdened by any peripherals etc. And have Game Pass as a ace in the hole. They also have the support of the MS Board as you say which they didn’t have last time around.

From a little bit of research it seems the BOM (bill of materials) for XSX is $500 and PS5 $460. So they might both come in at $499. Source 1 Source 2

But I still think both are going to eat some of that cost themselves, it’ll be interested to see how it shakes out. I will say I don’t think Sony can afford to come in more expensive than XSX, so we might well have a price match scenario on our hands. 

I can sort of see the logic with this so who knows, stranger things have happened, but with the Yakuza games being so associated with the Playstation it will look very odd.

Historically it's not unheard of, Nintendo and Sega consoles have been put out by other companies in the past 

It's also so far the only real explanation to that Famitsu "scoop" they talked about and will publish next week. None of the stuff they were saying made any kind of sense unless you look at this thing and suddenly it seems plausible.

If it turns out to be true, I really hope I can resist the temptation of importing that version.

I think it’s a cool and interesting idea, I think it would sell better worldwide if they rebadged it as a Sega console ?. Can’t see it improving things much in Japan though.

I don’t think it’ll happen but it’s a nice rumour. I wouldn’t be importing one though due to the costs involved, if it does happen I think it’d be one of those curios like the Panasonic GameCube. 

• 2 weeks later...