passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bioshock

Sambob

w00t finished it this morning when the missus got up to go to work (the joy of being unemployed:) ) fantastic game. The best gaming experience i've had all year. I kinda rushed the last couple of sections to find out what happens. I have to say i predicted most of the twists as soon as i started the game, but the story still kept me enthralled, and there was one bit i never saw coming although with hindsight its kinda obvious. .: spoiler:.

I got the bad ending, seen as i'd harvested half of the girls before having a change of heart into the latter part of the game.

I think i'll prob replay it at some point although i'm tempted to trade it in and get something else (the downside of being unemployed...)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JimboXiii wrote:

I have to say i predicted most of the twists as soon as i started the game, but the story still kept me enthralled, and there was one bit i never saw coming although with hindsight its kinda obvious.

Surely you didn't guess the BIG twist in the one and only cut scene? Or was that the bit you didn't see coming?

If you have any questions about the plot now you've finished it, I'd really suggest going to find that plot guide. I'm not gonna link to it, but I'm sure you'll know where to find it. :)

And how far are you now picks?

• 4 weeks later...

I started playing this at the weekend, I'm not very far only done a few hours. I wasnt especially engrossed to be honest. I get the criticisms that it's been done before, I couldnt shake the feeling that it was just a better done version of Doom 3, with set piece after set piece. It also felt like I was being led by the hand, which you are, and it kind of ruined the atmosphere

But, I just killed the Dr, who was a bit of a 'tough guy'. Fortunately I know how to deal with tough guys. Pain! For some reason I started to enjoy it more during that fight, not sure why. And even though I knew as soon as I opened up the door there'd be splicers (?) waiting for me (scripted) it was still enjoyable

for what it's worth, I'm enjoying it so much more now. I'm on (and have been killed by) my 3rd big daddy, and that means I get to make a choice again, which is a real turning point in the game I think. before then it's all just killing faceless people, so to speak, now I feel a bit more invilved and that there's a bigger part to the story that I'm not party to yet.

From what I've played I'd say it's well worth playing, but I cant say how good it is till the end

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I booted this up again recently so as to find Sander Cohens personal quaters and kill the cunt (which I did - Irony (10GP) - woot!) and now I have the urge to play thru again - this time on Hard. It feels so different to every other FPS Ive played, i just dig the setting so much. Great game, GOTY is tough this year.

Funnily enough I've got the itch to go back through it and murder the little darlings this time (plus level up differently and ting).

A lot of games on the go at the moment, but I got the whole of next week booked off just to use my holidays and I got jack planned, so I'll set aside a day and go through this baby again.

I havent touched this in about a month now. I was enjoying it, but not to the cream spurting heights of some.

I got to the bit where you give some guy a camera and he lets you in his erm, area(?). Then I got killed, turned it off to let other people use the telly, and just couldnt be arsed to go back to it.

I'm sure I'll go back at some point, but I'm not in any hurry too, and am probably preffering Metroid to it by a fair old way if im honest

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that still has their copy (can't remember if Sam said he had traded in his copy) there are free patches and free DLC coming next week.

The Cult of Rapture

Many of you have been asking me about the status of the BioShock PC Patch and Xbox 360 Title Update, and I have some good news for you.

Both the BioShock PC Patch and the 360 Title Update will be available next week. In addition to these fixes, we will be releasing downloadable content free on both Xbox Live and for the PC, with the DLC bundled into the PC Patch. A full list of bug fixes and everything included in the DLC will be put up on the Cult of Rapture when the downloads become available.

Those patches and DLC are up today!

The promised BioShock patch for both Xbox 360 and PC has landed along with free downloadable content consisting of new plasmids, gene tonics and - in the case of 360 owners - an additional unlockable Achievement worth 100 gamerpoints.

The latter is rewarded for beating the game on Hard without resurrecting once at a Vita Chamber. You are permitted to reload using an earlier save-game file, just not to resurrect. A new "Disable Vita Chamber" option is also included for added difficulty, but it doesn't need to be toggled on to unlock the above Achievement - the game will know whether you've resurrected or not.

The new plasmids and gene tonics, meanwhile, are Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom 2, Eve Saver, Machine Buster, Machine Buster 2, Vending Expert, Vending Expert 2, and all are available on both formats as part of the downloadable update.

Additionally, amongst the bug-fixes and changes listed in the official website's changelog are the ability to adjust field-of-view, rebind keys where previously it didn't work, walk as well as run and use mouse acceleration properly.

PC owners can download the 1.1 patch from 2K Games' support site for people who bought a retail version, but those who purchased a digital distribution copy (through Steam, etc) should not install this patch. Xbox 360 owners will be prompted to download the patch next time they fire up the game.

Sounds pretty sweet!

Started this again today to christen my 360. I keep saving, turning off, then 30 minutes later putting it back on again, which is a good sign but there's a but

But all the things that were annoying me first time through are even more prevelant this time. I feel more in control of things, but beyond the atmosphere I really dont rate this game as being better than the thousand other fps' I've played. Story does count for a lot to me though, so I'm not hating it or anything. I just cant, for the life off me, see why people have loved it so much. Like I said the atmosphere is great, but it's so predictable.

See that door there? Go through it HA too late, the powers gone off, go find another way. Ooh that item you were looking for is sat right there on a table, go and grab it Boo! Bet you didnt see that coming did you

If it wasn't for how endearing the Big Daddys are, or how awesome it is through my surround sound, I'd seriously be thinking about sacking this off and just going quiet next time Hendo mentions it on the podcast

I got really bored with this game and really early too! cant put my finger on why but it just bored me.

One of the things i think that did it was no co-op, ive played gow a few times and completed on all levels with the mrs, same with halo1,2 and now 3 i just prefer co-op fps's

But normally on one player fps's i will play them and have some fun but this one seemed average and not great, like i said might be just me as everyone else seems to love it!!

I also went back to Bioshock after the new DLC became available, going back to it for that reason is rubbish because the only difference I found was the new plasmids, and they arn't as fun to use as the ones already in the game.

It certainly isn't my game of the year but I do think it is head and shoulders above other FPS's, it is as basic as other games in the genre but the 50's blood splattered art deco coupled with sections of blues and jazz music only interupted with insane chatter and screams of the splicers makes one of the most intense game expearances you can find, its just style but the substance that it is based on is undiniabley strong. Add numarous sub-stories in the form of audio tapes which are easily stronger than the main narrative in most other games and you have something special.

The hacking is very distracting though. And I wish I had someone to play co-op with, but I don't, so just good old engrossing single player for me.

i really liked bioshock when i first got it, like many people have already said (like the above), the atmosphere created by the story/sound/graphics is amazing and really sucked me in, blinding me to any of the games flaws, it did get a bit repetative near the end but it was still great overall. tried to go through it again on a harder difficulty and that brought out the problems of the game, mainly the combat wasn't much fun (for me anyway as i'm not usually a fan of single player fps games) and i soon turned it back down to easy and was enjoying the atmosphere again instead of being bored/annoyed by the combat.