passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rise of the Ronin

radiofloyd

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The few previews I’ve seen are kinda down on this game. But not sure if it’s not very good or Team Ninja are knocking these out too quickly. 

At the risk of being called mid again

IMG_0598.jpeg

7.5/10 is not bad, but there’s a lot of these games to pick from (I need to get back to Wo Long, for example) so this can definitely wait 

I watched this today

They try to be nice about it, and say that the game kinda rocks. But also a couple of times he does say it looks like a last generation game. Another one struggling to hit 60fps and sub 1080p

For games like this in particular you need good image clarity, I would say that’s almost as important as the FPS.

In this same video they compare it to Ghost of Tsushima which, an actual last generation game, blows this away on every level not just on performance, but graphics as well. 

Although I expect Ronin is a much better game to play.

TBH it’s the resolution I think is the worst part. According to the video this engine isn’t suited to open world stuff, so that’s why it’s struggling. 

Some of these end-of-life PS4 game were just ridiculous. I don't know what magic (and money) they used to make them, but it's a bit unfair to pull them in as comparisons because while the hardware might have changed, the people and resources behind the curtains haven't. There's no way Team Ninja is ever going to get the manpower needed to compete on that level, even with some Sony deal in place.

Looking at the video, the 60fps mode looks reasonable enough, at least outside of cities, where the framerate does seem to tank quite heavily. A bit unfortunate, but I suppose DF is right in the sense that they never really build that engine to accommodate on open world scenario. Game looks kind of cool though, definitely one I would check out if I had a PS5.

Team Ninja have had a really impressive throughput these past few years tbh. Nioh 2 is like a benchmark of the action genre. I mean, I don't like it, but I understand its systems well enough and have seen it played at a high enough level to absolutely respect what it's going for. Their issue seems to be trying to turn that type of game into something with a broader appeal, and they are releasing so many 'tuned down' versions of that game. This one is one people seem really positive on, more than Wu Long anyway. But it's not surprising I guess that there's some technical compromise here. But still, it's a dev putting more effort than anyone out there in releasing these types of action games.

Definitely, I was talking more about the technical/visual/engine side of things. Except for the little tumble with NG3 after Itagaki left they've been very proficient at what they do since basically forever, even if I never really liked their particular take on the genre. But their output is masterfully executed across the board – even DoA is a very solid fighting game series that unfairly gets belittled due to the bouncing stuff.

Despite the graphics/performance I think this game looks cool. But it’s around £60 😦

It’s a bit too much for what it is and the state it’s in.