passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon's Dogma II ​🐉​

one-armed dwarf

It's been weird looking at the dragon fights in Elden Ring thinking 'man, Dogma was just way ahead of this shit now even 10 years ago'. They even mention how in the 'trailer' how other games are designing these big enemies just so you can hack at their legs, which is so Elden Ring. So hopefully DDII goes even further at this kind of design, even if it will inevitably fail to match ER for its world and lore.

It's got its issues but its combat and encounter design has some of the great elements of action->reaction. Griffons dont just go on fire, they fall to the ground and writhe in agony for a while, so you can get on top of them SOTC style and hack them while they fly away. Fights are dramatic and cinematic. If an enemy has multiple targets then maiming one of them will change the rest of the fight. The pawn system, although clunky, was a great idea in how they would go into other people's adventures and gain knowledge about fighting different enemies, and then come back to your game to tell you enemy weakpoints and strategies. Their chattering's were repetitive but it's such a cool concept. As well as the whole fact that you actually can't see at night without a light source. Though the easy fast travel in Dark Arisen largely sidesteps this

Anyway it's a rough gem, the original game. In a similar ballpark to something like Nier for me where the strong parts lift the whole thing way above the weak parts. The dream here is to just have a game which makes those strong parts even stronger. That was also the dream when Itsuno went from DMC4 to DMC5, but I think that series is hard to give a broad appeal cause its appeal is tied up in having high execution and players being willing to just grind that for ages. But an action RPG is something that anyone can play and have a great experience, so I hope this ends up being that breakthrough finally.

Most anticipated game right here. Just the wait will be painful, I wish we could have seen some gameplay but I get why they would be hesitant to show off gameplay cause it will be pretty rough at this point

Could be great - wonder how much they'll take from DD Online (which of course never made it here), or if they'll (hopefully) stick with single player focus & improve AI of the pawns ?

Maybe they'll throw out another Deep Down teaser too...... 😉

10 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

It's been weird looking at the dragon fights in Elden Ring thinking 'man, Dogma was just way ahead of this shit now even 10 years ago'.

I thought a similar comparison with Shadow of the Colossus (17 Years ago now😲) and how basic the dragon fights of Souls are in comparison. 

I only ever played the demo of DD 1 and didn't really get it, at the time. If a new one is coming, I think I'm in a better position now to appreciate what the series is selling.

On 17/06/2022 at 14:06, shinymcshine said:

improve AI of the pawns ?

Thinking on this, in the video they really like the idea off it feeling like an online game but offline. 

DMC5 had this tech in it called the 'cameo system' where it would create ghost recordings of your gameplay and spawn it in different player's games. But also at the same time it could sync up players and have them play together for real (which people made mods of to implement true matchmaking on pc)

https://www.eurogamer.net/devil-may-cry-5-multiplayer-lets-players-make-guest-appearances-in-each-others-games

I think they will use this in Dragon's Dogma II and build upon it. Your pawns will fight using ghost recordings of any vocations you've played as. As it is the dmc system half feels like it was never intended for that game but this one instead. 

Watch, I bet when we see the game for real they'll confirm it

• 11 months later...

Nice we've finally seen something... Capcom have, at least with Resident Evil, gotten in to the habit of giving a first look and then releasing in like 9 months time or so, I really don't think that's happening with this though... Still feels miles away.

Yeah it's not a good trailer tbh, at a glance you would think it's an asset swap of the original

I am excited, but I think DMC5 sort of sets my expectations that when it comes to next gen sequels from Itsuno, expect a similar game design framework as what came before, but more shiny.

I did like the bit where the cyclops stamped on a bridge and the arisen fell down. Anything like that which hints at dynamic physics or hazards in the game world could be lots of fun

Im glad to see it get a trailer, despite not much shown, I was concerned it may be one of those disapeering capcom titles but old capcom really are on top form of late, I was surprised was even at show, given only announced last year and sure said it was very early in development.

Still think we may be waiting till late 2024 for this if not later!

• 3 weeks later...

Their insistence on not leveraging the insanely good but unused co-op netcode from DMC5 (seriously, wtf was up with that) for the pawn system continues to frustrate. 

The emphasis on how physical the gameplay is is exciting again though. I liked that clambering mechanic in the first game, the SOTC style of it. I wonder how dynamic the physics of it are, like in 4:20 how one pawn launches another off a shield onto the ogre's head, another goes for the ogres leg and makes it trip. Do enemies have a 'stability' stat that lets them be toppled depending on damage to limbs and their weight distribution if allies are climbing on them? It could be like posture in Sekiro, but with actual physics underpinning things. 

Hopefully anyway

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...