passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

RedFall

DisturbedSwan

That’s really disappointing. 60fps modes are a basic feature now. Especially in a FPS. It’s so much more noticeable in that viewpoint. 

Man, MS really need to get a grip with their 1st party stuff.  Constant delays & management issues. & when they finally do get released they’re noticeably unfinished. Compare to Sonys 1st party and it’s properly shit. Bet it doesn’t have anywhere near the number of accessibility features a Sony game would include too. No wonder their sales are already down 18% this early into a generation. How they expect to grow Gamepass when they can’t get people into their ecosystem due to lack of exciting big games I’ll never know. 

43 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Bet it doesn’t have anywhere near the number of accessibility features a Sony game would include too.

Don't see why it wouldn't Hi-Fi Rush had plenty... I'd imagine that's on the dev in any case.

As for the 30fps thing I'm a console gamer, it comes with the territory sooner or later. As long as it's stable or locked whatever, all these monkeys proclaiming games are nigh on unplayable unless they're 60fps come across as fucking pathetic tbh.

I wouldn’t say so anymore. 60fps options have become normal on console. Thankfully. They’ve been in most big games for years now. Sure 30 isn’t terrible if it’s locked at that and it certainly isn’t unplayable but 60 makes a huge difference. Especially for people like myself, I’ve said many times but I really struggle with fps games at 30 on my OLED due to stutter. 

Its a bad look either way. It’s not even a graphically impressive game from what I’ve seen. 

30fps is fine in most things imo, but it is for sure harder to enjoy in a first person game. Especially with limited FOV.

I've turned the effects up in stuff and played it at 30 plenty of times, mostly played the GoW PS5 games at around that I think. But for instance with something like Cyberpunk, it felt pretty bad. Which is kinda half the reason I dropped it the first time. 

Anyway, it's getting 60 after launch so it doesn't really seem that big a deal. I'm more worried that the game doesn't look very interesting. The co-op progress is also host only, which is going to fuck things up a lot

Anyway it might not even be graphics, might be the CPU simulating lots of AI in these open spaces that's bringing it down. Who knows (tho that would make a patch more difficult)

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Anyway, it's getting 60 after launch so it doesn't really seem that big a deal.

Pretty much this... play something else until the patch drops, it's not like we dont have backlogs or anything...😂

This is going to sound dramatic, but playing an fps at 30 makes me feel physically sick sometimes. Ideally 30fps would go away and be replaced with the 40fps 120hz mode, best of both worlds then 

Either way, if I play this it'll be on pc, but I do agree that it's a bit of a concern. Still, if they nail this mode because they aren't splitting their time sorting the performance mode at the same time, that's better than 2 broken modes. That's an 'if' though 

In an ideal world it would be 40hz all the way. It would improve playability and leave a ton of headroom for other stuff on console

But you've got to get those TV sets into people's homes first. 120hz hdmi 2.1 display would need to become the floor in the way HD did in the PS4 era.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried out the NZ trick, but turns out the title screen has an 'always online' check and login to create an account to play it. Will be giving it a skip then, especially as launch service titles can have spotty connections in general.

Just cba. It's (apparently) an SP game, it should not need this

1 hour ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Holding back reviews til this late in the day really isn’t a good sign. Tends to mean “Our game is absolute wank, but we want your money”.

I know what you're saying but this has been a Bethesda thing since at least Doom 2016.

1 hour ago, Nag said:

I know what you're saying but this has been a Bethesda thing since at least Doom 2016.

yeah, I remember Doom getting completely written off,

Fwiw I've got this downloading through PC gamepass, hopefully it's good but it does feel like it's got a lot against it

66% on Opencritic so far after 57 reviews, looks like I made a good counterpick!

A lot of places are running “reviews-in-progress” though, so the score might fluctuate a little bit.

Those are devastating reviews, feels like it could be Arkane's Haze.

Sometimes people jump the gun in saying how publisher meddling fucked up a game, but it feels hard to dispute with this one. It just looks a lot like that's what happened, considering the studios' previous pedigree and the 'trendiness' of what this one is going for (open world 4 player co-op loot shooter)

Yea but Deathloop was very meh too. Sure that actually got some good reviews at thle time but I think the fact nobody ever mentions it now when recommending games & zero hype was around when the Xbox and Game Pass release rolled around speaks volumes. 

4 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Yea but Deathloop was very meh too. Sure that actually got some good reviews at thle time but I think the fact nobody ever mentions it now when recommending games & zero hype was around when the Xbox and Game Pass release rolled around speaks volumes. 

Right, but it was still considered pretty decent I'd thought (I did not enjoy it). But Dishonored and Prey (especially Prey) are the modern standouts in their genre, to the point people put them ahead of the modern Deus Ex efforts (and frankly I'd put Prey close to even the original Deus Ex, it's just really good). It's one of the acquisitions MS made that made a ton of sense, if they could direct that talent into making games like that

So I don't know what something like Redfall says about that. Beyond the obvious that those kinds of games don't have wide enough appeal to put money into I guess, so they had to adapt and try this out

I've not read any of the previews for this, but going through the Gamecentral review this morning I couldn't help thinking that this sounds (in basic premise at least) rather reminiscent of Clive Barker's Jericho (a single player game where you switched between party members with different abilities) - a game that I enjoyed back around 2007.

9 minutes ago, mfnick said:

As much or as little as you thought of Deathloop, these reviews don't seem to indicate that was anywhere near as 'bad' as this is in comparison. It's difficult to judge as I've played through Deathloop and thought it was a very good, but flawed game (an 8 for me but looking back maybe a 7) whereas this from the outside seems a 4-6 at most for most folks. But again, I've not played this so it's not a fair comparison to make.

What I do think is unfair is saying Deathloop is as bad as this, on the surface of it at least.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Sometimes people jump the gun in saying how publisher meddling fucked up a game, but it feels hard to dispute with this one. It just looks a lot like that's what happened, considering the studios' previous pedigree and the 'trendiness' of what this one is going for (open world 4 player co-op loot shooter)

This game's conceptual phase and pre-production predates the MS acquisition by at least two years. They also recently confirmed that a PS4 version was cancelled, which might even have been the lead platform at the early stages (no source for that, but reasonable speculation). Seems to me like they just wanted to try something new and couldn't pull it off. Deathloop, being a roguelike and all, was also a big gamble on their part that seemed to have worked out – this, not so much. 

Unless by publisher you mean Bethesda, but I don't see why they would start meddling with Arkane's design approach now because they've been together since the Dishonored days.