passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

one-armed dwarf

• 3 months later...

I beat this on PC. It did have some issues but only in the slums and a lot of the big problems actually got fixed by an nvidia driver, which basically never happens but it did this time

Intergrade is the same game mostly, but it does play a lot smoother cause of >60fps and also it has animation cancelling now. In the original game it was a bit like Dark Souls with how much they made you commit to the point you would do some attacks then stand back and block so you wouldn't commit to stuff and get your ass kicked around. But the cancelling in this version is very generous and the game is pretty forgiving now of letting you change your mind on an attack, even to the point of appearing kind of janky at times. But that's not a real problem I guess cause I think a lot of people struggled to get into the original's combat cause of it

Messed around with a mod that made the game harder and put in the thing that the original ffvii has where materia lowers and increases certain stats. The mod was a bit too hard though, it took me 40 minutes to kill 

Spoiler

Sephiroth

, but you can pick and choose what modules to install if you just want the materia changes (gives you more slots as well which is ace). This is the mod here, hard to find mods like this though https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/240?tab=description&BH=1

So I think the PC version is the best version of this game, even though the slums areas run way worse than both versions on Playstation due to how bad it is at streaming in assets. 

Anyway I had a lot of fun, still a very flabby, badly paced game with bizarre technical shortcomings but it was more fun the 2nd time I think (2nd time watching all the story cutscenes). The framerate helps

• 1 month later...

I post this here because it turned in to one. I’m also mashing it out at work so this is blat but why I hated FF7R

It’s the combat and the boss fights. This game made me legit angry. Not like video game angry where it goes away after a few minutes, like this negatively affected my mood. Even when winning. The start was the House boss right. The highest pain was the leviathan boss fight. Or maybe the train boss fight not sure. The last straw was just playing Shinra tower. I never finished the game, I couldn’t play anymore.

Not exactly the same but sort of similar to what I didn’t like about GotG. I can’t tell the difference between good play and bad play.

What made it worse is I’m not alien to the mechanics. It’s stagger gauges, weak points, team combos, ancient old JRPG shit thrown in the the mix. I think the only thing that threw me is Tifa has a knockdown thing I had to Google because I didn’t understand she was the only one who had it, or how to use it.

So except for one thing I’m looking at this game like I’m sure I know how this all works and then get in to a boss fight and was continually left like what the fuck. What do you want me to do. I just don’t get it.

But then I would do the same fight again without changing anything and win and be left with a bigger WTF. I was so mad even when I was winning because like why. What is the the fucking difference.

The only 2 boss fights I got stuck on for hours was the House fight because even when I would win I’d reset it to try do it better, but I never got there and I was getting madder and madder being like wtf does this game want.

Then the Leviatan fight where I had to take apart my whole team and respec them specially to be able to beat it. That took hours and was maddening too.

Most other boss fights I beat first time or the first few times but so many of them devolved in to Phoenix Down and potion spamming slugfests it just made me feel bad. It was like that from boss 1. The first boss with the tail laser I needed 5 Phoenix Downs to get through and I was like, err, well it’s the first fight, I guess I’ll get better. But no. The game was just a downer pretty much the entire time. 

But again I accept it might just be me.

The thing about RDR2 is I completely understand why people don’t like that game. I’m not blind to it, I just embraced it because I get what they’re going for and am along for the ride

I tried for 20-30 hours to embrace FF7R and could just not get out of just true misery. For the first few hours the characters and music carried me through but when that wore off I could not get away from how much I truly, you can’t understand it, truly hated playing this video game. 

It might just be me and I never figured out how to play it, but I can’t think of another time that’s happened. So something is wrong here.

It might be me and this is why I say worst gaming experience and not worst game. Because even if there is nothing wrong about how it plays I’m telling you my time playing it was the absolute fucking worst in ways extremely few games can match 

House boss fight, this is how you do it 🆒

TL:DW, use assess and take your time taking your turn. Some bosses have a weird trick to them

Honestly I think the best way to approach remake's combat is like Dark Souls with anime powers and ATB combat. If you see red text, you block or keep away. Accept that it won't be your turn even if it seems super twitchy.

Honestly best advice is to just 'hold block' until you can figure things out. Worst thing you can do is press attack all the time and just get stunlocked constantly

The game has issues but it's probably my favourite battle system Square has ever done. 

Anyway, im going to do a hard mode playthrough of this on the deck and finally beat the Yuffie DLC. For the novelty of it at least

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Started my first playthru of this and got thru the first two hours pretty much unscathed. I remember not really liking the combat when a tried the demo years ago. I felt it was strangely punishing and boring at the same time, with minute amounts of damage being dealt to enemies until battles turned into potion slugging drags.

I'm playing on the default difficulty now and it's not what I remember at all. I don't know whether it's been balanced in the interim, but it seems a lot more fun now. I'm doing decent damage, I'm recognising attack patterns and pulling off dodges and counters, and bosses are keeling over in good time and with reasonable effort on my part, rather than painful amounts of thumb breaking button bashing.

Yeah, I'm liking it up to now. I really want to get some Jrpg-ing done though, jump into the menus and juggle my bangles, bits and bobs. It seems ages since I played an ff game that wasn't 15.

So this is just what the doctor ordered as far as I'm concerned. I've played about 5 hours, and my second session was all about finding my feet with the battle system, getting to know about materia and weapon upgrades, and even copping my first summons, Ifrit - although you get him first in lots of these games, don't you.

I'm really liking it. I love the mix of action and commands. Reminds me a bit of S.a.t.s in fallout, rather than anything to do with the old style turn based system. Although, having said that, I definitely wouldn't have minded some modern take on turn based for this. I still like those older games.

Just one question for seasoned players of this, is it usual to keep a special move bar available to counter the 'red' move of an opponent (especially a strong one). I've been trying to do this and it's worked a reasonable amount of times, knocking them out of a move. Or should I just hit them with whatever. All these 'pressured' 'staggered' notifications are hard to process in the heat of battle, and I don't think the game has explained them in great detail.

VATS is a very good analogy. I think of the system was being like RTWP (real time with pause), like classic Balder's Gate or Planescape Torment but VATS probably makes more sense given the action synthesis. 

I don't know what red move you mean, but there are red moves which you can block or punisher counter (holding R1 during Cloud's stance change), and there are unlockable red moves where you GTFO. You can interrupt both of these (not all the time, but some of the time), but you got to do it quickly and it's very situational which ones work. Like a powerful thundaga spell may interrupt certain moves by big robot enemies, but a weaker thundara might not, depends on how big the number given is. It's a bit more technical though cause enemy weaknesses play a part there and most of the time you're much better off respecting the mechanic and blocking it, and taking your turn back right away after.

'Pressure' is a state where you deal enough damage to interrupt and slightly stun an enemy, and their orange stagger bar will fill up more quickly. So you've a small window there to capitalise (sometimes a longer window) but you still have to wait your turn after a while. Stagger is where your damage multiplies, you get to just pile on. 

Generally tho wrt information overload in the heat of battle, I use tactical menu a lot (the X button). Especially in Rebirth, where it gets more complex, and that's where the RTWP thing comes in for me. I don't play it like an action game at all, really. I live in its menu systems so it comes closer to being a turn based strategic game in its own weird way, except you have to find ways to make turns happen faster. Also in general it's good to keep ATB ticking over a bit rather than 'overcapping' on it, it's your main resource for dealing damage, dealing support and general synergy amongst the team. If it's not being used and there's an opening to use it, then it's being wasted, even if that means you won't have a way always to interrupt something later.

Excellent help as usual young Mr Dwarf.

I hadn't actually used block as I'm more of a natural dodger. I think I will slow things down a bit and press x a lot more to figure out my approach in the tougher battles.

You know it's not that long since I played the original, but I can't remember 

Spoiler

Dementors in it. I thought I was going to get my soul sucked at one point.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention. Wouldn't be the first time my mind has wondered at the plot of a JRPG. All I remember was mako and the eco warriors fighting for it. I can't even remember what Sephiroth has to do with it to be honest, unless him and cloud are fighting for control of midgar's last hair dryer.

Another 10 hours into this since my last post, and I have to admit there's been a bit of a cooling off. I'm starting to think of excuses not to turn it on. It's just become rather tedious.

I'm finding the game world depressing, the dialogue utterly childish and the combat boring. I think since Aerith came into it (and has carried on like a rather fatiguing nine year old) I've sort of been of the opinion that this is a bit 'young' for me.

I think all JRPGs are like that tbf (except Yakuza and it's offshoots) and I can usually dodge all the cuteness and enjoy the world and gameplay. But the rubbish strewn slums and maze-like industrial complexes are depressing me at best, and the characters are seriously low grade. I honestly think whoever wrote this script has never read a book or seen a half decent film.

Will I be turning this on tonight, or reaching for the 'sacked that off, mate' page? 

It's a close call.

Decided to get back into this after putting it in the sacked that off thread. For a 3 reasons really. Firstly I'm planning a big FF series playthru, and I'd only have to do it all again for that (I'm about 15 hours in). Secondly it's not really a bad game, I think I was just down on for the rather depressing setting - I like my JRpgs to be beautiful.

Thirdy, and most importantly, a couple of reviewers I trust are naming Rebirth as one of the best games they've ever played. And I'd feel weird to get into that without playing the first one.

Anyway, with a slightly adjusted mindset, I'm back in and quite enjoying it. Just beat Maf's nemesis, hell house. Long arse fight that but I luckily had the right materia equipped to oppose his different forms, so I got him first time without too much hassle.

I do wish they'd let you switch materia during a fight, tho. Sometimes I'm lacking the right spell to stagger my opponent and that's when I think the battle system becomes a bit of a pain.