passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

spatular

Both are excellent, just this is having tech issues at launch @one-armed dwarf. Both are well worth a play ?

Sounds like you’ve been having much the same issues as me @mfnick, thought a One X would brute force through them but it seems not in your case, I’m only on a One S so it makes more sense it doesn’t run as well for me.

Loads of folks are having issues with it so it’s not just us having problems. The devs promised a patch would sort it but that was meant to be Monday I thought, not sure it’s been released or not now.

It had a day 1 patch so must have been even worse before. Giant Bomb went into how bad technically it was pre patch, sounded like a mess. Could do with another patch though IMO. Serves me right for playing a game near launch for a change. Need to wait a couple of months after release really nowadays. Been getting some strange load in issues more recently too like in the pic.
The textures on the scenery just doesn’t load in sometimes. It stayed like that in a few areas until I died. 

6F7E16C0-FDFD-4498-890B-31BE8A78E550.jpeg

No boss required any extra abilities you wouldn’t have already gained actually reaching him. I will say I found the hammer weapon infinitely more useful than the sword one against the bosses. You do need to learn them too, a couple were quite difficult but not ridiculous. 

Ive finished it now + 98% of collectibles (only missing the orbs I no longer need and can’t be arsed) & done all missions.  Overall I thought it was a brilliant game that was let down quite a lot by technical issues and I stand by my previous posts and prefer the simplicity of the first. 

8/10 

If you’re a achievement hunter be aware a lot of achievements are glitched too. Some of the collectible ones haven’t unlocked for me along with the completion one. People have been saying the under 4 hour and no death ones aren’t unlocking too when I googled it. My playtime stood at 56 hours so I had no chance of that?. It doesn’t stop the timer while it’s suspended. 

Check out this video for more technical weirdness too! The sound dropped out for most of the last section and this happened on the final bit. 
** Ending bit so don’t watch if you’re worried about anything being spoilt**
Sorry don’t know how to put videos and pics in a spoiler tag. 

• 3 weeks later...

i got through it mainly by collecting a lot of extra health items, and i'm amazingly bad at fighting in games so i think you'll be fine. also i think there's an easy mode that makes the fighting easier but doesn't change the platforming - although i'm not 100% sure on that.

It’s still easy enough to mash through for the most part @Maf. People went on about the combat far too much in this game IMO. The bosses can take some practice though. 

Id still wait for a patch first though. There’s quite a few technical hiccups throughout.  

Yeah, I’m still waiting for a patch. But I just finished my last game and was thinking about what I should do next and I want to play this, but between waiting for a patch and being put off by how hard the combat looks I think I’ll look for something else and come back to this later.

Started it up after the patch to get the achievements it glitched on. Got 2 as I started my save up ?. But the finish game achievement still doesn’t work ?. Took me a bit to get the controls again but did the last boss and... nothing. Ah well.

It does seem a bit better, only had a quick go but didn’t get any hitching and most importantly the map loads instantly now. Woohoo! Will make it a lot more playable for anyone in future. 

Edit - It did unlock! I just double checked and must have missed it or the notification didn’t pop with the others. Seems they’re sorted now :) 

• 5 months later...

Yea I had quite a few performance issues with this on the One X so bet it took some effort to get it working properly on Switch. Be interested to see how it performs. Great game either way, well worth checking out if you don’t have a Xbox. 

• 4 months later...

Been playing this last few weeks, and honestly don’t feel like I’ve got anywhere....I seem to go back and forth quite a bit? Then randomly stumble on a lever or glass eye balls that opens up more of the level, the graphics are immense such an impressive game.

• 2 months later...

As well as my relaxed playthru of red dead redemption, I've been doing a completely unrelaxed run thru this. Dammit, this game keeps you on edge. 

I'd actually been having an easier time with it than the first one, but now I've started to head out to collect the 4 mcguffins, and getting to the first location (the mountain one) tested my platforming skills hard. If you've played it you might recall having to get a couldren to spit out a fireball, which you then had to juggle 2 or 3 times with bash to defrost a small stone plinth. I'm still sweating now, and I actually did it last night.

9c2aa141-f381-4a33-9d1f-aaedadd2929f.png

Had to take drastic action on a boss last night. I just didn't seem to have enough health to put him down - a big bigger with about a zillion ways to attack. So I set off to find some health upgrades in the world map. Found 3, and when I finally got the better of him I finished the battle with 4 full life bars. It's always the bleeding way!

Although, when you think about it, exploring the map and finding upgrades is at least as pleasurable as fighting in this game, maybe more. 

So I've managed to clock this at a rather tardy 20+ hours. I didn't struggle too much tbh, but I did try to uncover the whole map and do as much side content as possible, so there was a great deal of relaxed exploration in a 'dont want it to end' kind of way.

I really loved it. Maybe it's one of the best metroidvanias I've ever played with metroid prime levels of invention at times, and extraordinary bosses that seemed insurmountable at first, and thus extremely satisfying to put down. 

There's just so much about to like about it, from the wonderful art design to the sense of control, and then to the harsh (at times) difficulty. The pain in both my thumbs is no less than the sweet ache of victory. Great stuff.

5d12a82e-037c-4665-97b5-082b15c7a48f.png

• 2 months later...

Restarted this on Saturday night after putting around 9 hours into it last year.

Spent the whole time trying to find my bearings, it is always a bewildering task going back to a game, especially going back to it after such a long period of time. I spent the entire time just exploring the map, getting used to the controls and various abilities I can pull off. It's not a nice feeling in some ways coming into a game about half (or a quarter?) of the way through the game and feeling completely like a duck out of water but slowly but surely it all gradually came back to me. 

I still can't remember what areas I've checked and can't access due to lacking a certain ability and what areas I've left untouched but that's not too important right now and I can go off discovering new bits and pieces anytime I like. After finding my bearings I've continued on with the main quest path and am currently in the Silent Woods looking for an Owl (who I very vaguely remember).

Graphically it doesn't look too much better on the XSX than when I played it on my XB1S last year, I do have an older cheap LED 4K TV so that might be partially to blame, the art style and music are still fantastic though. The frame rate is improved significantly though, a super smooth 60fps with none of the technical issues I experienced last year on my XB1S.  

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished with this now, beat a few bosses since my last post and uncovered most of the map. Think the next area will be the final dungeon (and boss) if my spidey senses are right. 

Speaking of bosses, I think they're one of the weakest parts of the game. Initially I quite enjoyed them as they were something different and a bit of a distraction from the usual loop but as I've gone back to it I kind've think they're really pointless. The last two I've put down without even breaking a sweat, just laughably easy and a bit pointless really. 

The more I've got back into it I'll reiterate my earlier comment that it is aping Hollow Knight a bit too much. It's just lost a bit of its identity that made the first game so special and instead injected some foreign elements into the equation in the form of bosses, side quests etc. Which just don't quite work out or add much to the game. Instead of those I would've much preferred the tough escape sequences of the first game, not so much combat and more of the super tight platforming. 

Still not sure if I'm going to go out of my way to 100% it and do all the side quests either. I think of the latter I've only got a few left to do but I still seem to have quite a bit of the map left with most areas sitting on 79-96% complete despite seemingly every part of the map being uncovered. 

I do still think it's a really good game though, I would still highly recommend it but I much prefer the previous game overall. It just felt tighter, more refined and had less superfluous elements stuffed into it.

Pics: 

62ADB15E-E97D-419B-96A0-AF50C3535E0D.png

7CC51D20-6444-40D4-A660-93125824F791.png

0434A59F-1C9D-4588-929B-24FA91B4ED3E.png