passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sacked That Off Mate

mfnick

• 1 month later...

I tried 2 games today and really didn’t like either.

First was Dying Light which, maybe I’ll go back too, I didn’t out and out hate it. Which is a surprise because it’s combining first person melee with first person parkour. That should be recipe for disaster but after 2 hours I just think it’s kind of boring. Both the melee and parkour is bad, though not as bad as I expected, but where it really lost me was when I found a time trial/race challenge. First damage sustained in the race is real damage and doesn’t reset when resetting the race, also you can reset the race but can’t quit the race, you just have to wait 2 minutes until you fail. Wait 2 minutes. Are you fucking crazy? I’m not sure what you would call this kind of oversight but stuff like this is my fucking #1 annoying things in games. I know these are small things but small things are critical. You have to get entering, resetting, exiting and abandoning challenges right. After 2 hours I was only at a 5/10 anyway but bad menus and how this works broke me.

Next was Weird West which fucking hell. This I hate. I thought it was going to be some kind of isometric, story focused, tactics RPG thing. Instead it’s a twin stick rogue lite that doesn’t let you shoot, seems to revolve around random encounters, looting and time limits. Like one side quest had a 5 day time limit and when you travel the map time passes. Oh my god no. It’s a shame because it has a unique style and good controls. But before I realised it was a rogue lite I spent all my bullets and couldn’t find any ammo or new gun for an hour. I then tried to steal something by accident and 5 dudes all started shooting at me and I turned it off before seeing what happens next. Very disappointing. Completely wrong about what type of game it is, had a boring hour trying to not engage with anything because can’t defend myself then tried to do one thing and got fucked up for it. I think this game could be good but it’s a terrible start and not new player friendly. I’ve not got the patience for these systems today. 

Should have just played Guilty Gear instead. 

10 minutes ago, Maf said:

Next was Weird West which fucking hell. This I hate. I thought it was going to be some kind of isometric, story focused, tactics RPG thing. Instead it’s a twin stick rogue lite

Thank you for that! It was definitely on my radar, not anymore. I thought it was a isometric rpg too. How disappointing. 

Since we all seem to have thought the wrong thing about the game I googled it for more info. Maybe it isn’t a rogue lite because there are only 5 characters. But it has a bunch of rogue lite trappings with permadeath, item hoarding, crafting, RNG, time limits. 

I might give it another go too because I think it could be interesting. But it seemed very harsh right out of the gate so maybe it’s a game where I just need to accept the outcomes and bullshit until I learn it better.

But last night the first hour was very severely off-putting 

I think maybe I like rogue lites where death is failure but it’s part of the progression. So I can play really well and be successful until I hit death and reset.

Maybe I don’t like rogue lites like Inscription or Weird West where it feels like every button press and choice is failing. 

But I might go back to it still. 

I'll add it back to my list then, for when my euro-jank fixation dies down a bit.

Anyway the reason I give those games a wide berth as I think I said before, I just find it impossible to learn anything useful on a 'run' where you're on the final boss or whatever cause I'm really slow at learning patterns in video games and adjusting to new situations. So rogue likes are literally impossible for me to play without cheating/save scumming. They fucking suck and I cannot believe how popular they are 

For Hades I have to save scum to understand the mechanics of the final boss, real misery otherwise. I just can't stand the idea of spending 30 minutes to fail to grasp 30 seconds of mechanics before I die. It's like a single player version of bad raid prog, taking the worst elements of an MMO and making it the entire point

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Signalis.

While there's nothing overly wrong with the game the fact I dropped it in favour of playing things I found more interesting says it all really... now after an extended hiatus I can't remember what I was doing and can't be bothered to start it again... deleted it is.

I was wondering if I should put Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen here? I think I will. Since ultimately, I wasn't really feeling it - story-wise. Blank avatar protagonists are a thing I find less endearing in 3D. Some have a little charm ala Link. Most don't ala Souls. Given the context, this player character needed dialogue. 

Otherwise, now I have several new, more interesting, games. Tactics Ogre is more me, also. I won't delete the download just yet. Likely I'll just forget about it.

Surprising myself cause it's the most popular title in the series, my AC Odyssey hit a bit of a wall with AC4: For Answer, which is one of the two Miyazaki directed (this and AC4). I found myself not enjoying what is considered the best one. It's so twitchy and fast paced that it feels like Vanquish or Bayonetta, and the importance of quick boost and quick turn mechanics and their availability by default affects the pace of the game in a way that dilutes all parts selection to choosing whatever makes you go the fastest, with chonkier boys feeling like a liability. I actually preferred AC4, tho it wasn't a great installment. FA is too much about spectacle and not granularity of movement. 

I'll stick with the PS2 titles. I might beat FA at a later point cause I hear it's pretty short and I was halfway through it

Now I'm actually kinda glad Miyazaki isn't directing AC6, he ain't got the mecha touch as far as I'm concerned lol

• 1 month later...

Couple of Game Pass let downs.

Hot Wheels Unleashed Ultimate Edition - I should love this. Cool tracks (especially the DLC ones), Simple SP mode, no open world shite, satisfying drift mechanics but for some reason it’s just jot doing it for me. The difficulty level doesn’t help, on medium I found it kind of frustrating with simple random mistakes caused by janky ramp physics costing an entire race whereas easy is just a complete boring cakewalk. Shame.

Metal Hellsinger - After Hi Fi Rush I thought I’d try out another rhythm action game. This one has reminded me why I don’t normally get on with them and further cements how excellent Hi Fi Rush is. It’s not a quality issue this one, it’s me being useless. Basically being a FPS gives me too much to think about and I fuck up the beat matching too easily, this also punishes you a hell of a lot for not being on beat, basically you do zero damage. Made it to the 4th stage & now just feels above my capabilities & don’t feel compelled to put the extra effort in. Having to change between weapons isn’t satisfying either, I feel it should do a auto shoot when you swap, something just feels missing and always throw me off the beat when I have to change between them. 

Atomic Heart.

I've decided that after playing for a couple of hours on Tuesday I just can't muster up any enthusiasm to return to it... the melee combat felt off, shooting also felt lacking and it just seemed that everything it wanted to be Bioshock did better years ago.

Deleted.

• 4 weeks later...

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.

Hit a massive roadblock in the form of Lu Bu and can't be arsed to keep running around the same level in an attempt to grind levels... bye.👋