passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

mmmark

48 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Nah, I just think it looked slow and tedious. Just not for me is all. Like I’ve already said, my brain doesn’t work in the right way for this stuff anyway. Even when I was a kid doing LEGO, Meccano etc. I always followed the instructions to the letter. If I’m just given free rein I struggle to make even the simplest things. 

100% agree with this. I'm just not that creative or experimental really, I would've liked the various vehicles you can build to just be in the game and pilotable as well (maybe they are to be fair), I'll end up looking at guides to just build a raft or something lol and that'll take me out of the game.

The thing is, that is the game tho. Coming up with your own fucked up invention to get around. Using that invention is maybe only the last 15 percent, the other 85 percent is mashing things together to see how they interact and the feeling of satisfaction when you stumble on a solution organically, even an imperfect one (sometimes the imperfect solution is the more fun one).

These Zelda games are all about friction with the world and avoiding that sort of skips most of the gameplay really (which is why I recommended pro hud before)

it's fine to not be into that of course, but I think then there's probably not a lot that BOTW and TOTK have to offer you if you don't like that process

I kinda get what you're saying, Nick but it looks to me that it's as swift as a mechanic like this can be implemented and games like this aren't made to be fast paced.

It's just that games like often this don't have nutrition and a mechanic like this really adds it and okay you don't have to like it but at the same time it's exhausting when your kid doesn't eat their greens, you know?  You just want what's good for them but they're turning their head away.

I dunno what fusing will mean for me.  Like my problem with BotW was since weapons were a finite resource I do what I always do with finite items and never use them unless it was a boss or tough enemy.  It meant I never used the interesting stuff.  That's a me problem though really, but I just wish the game pushed you more so you had to.  But that's an impossible balance because others were mad at the very idea of breakable weapons.

I thought it looked lovely. Zelda games (and Zelda-likes) have often connected more on an emotional and artistic level than a gameplay level (although the gameplay isn’t bad either). Watching the demonstration and listening to the music I feel like Tears of the Kingdom will be the same. I’m quite happy to dive back in!

I think the weapon fusing looks really cool. Although it’s yet to be seen just how often you have to go into menus to fuck about with it. It’s the vehicle stuff for me I’m not keen on. But like I say it’s just not for me. 

I wonder if you can use the fire orb things from the red chu chus and combine it with the fans to make a rocket or torpedo to fly around on

🤔Like can you make super fast but extremely volatile flying craft and just kamikaze your way from one end of the map to the other.

#speedrunstrats

edit also to nick's point I don't think that there are crafting menus, it all looks diegetic (in-game interactions) like the original

While I ideally (and likely, naively) hoped a BOTW sequel would reign in the excesses. To find a happy medium in line with the ethos and tone of the rest of the series. Cars, planes and speedboats is going in the entirely opposite direction. The closest counterpart would probably be Spirit Tracks? I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt for now. But moving the series from High Fantasy into Steampunk leaves me uneasy.

The weapon fusing is indeed really cool, when that rock snapped onto that long stick in the demo I raised my eyebrows a bit for sure, again, I'm not sure how experimental I'll be with it but it at least gives you more options to combat the weapon degradation.

• 2 weeks later...

Trailer has now released

And it's a gooden'. I've still got reservations about the world being more or less the same as BotW but they showed lots of new additions which have piqued my interest, one in particular is what I was most hoping for out of this game. Bring on December 5th.

Still grit my teeth at the sight of the vehicles. Ganondorf looks great! His voice.. not so much (not as bad as Bowser in Mario Sunshine though). Really hoping this is more of an actual Zelda than the last game. I guess I'll find out in a month's time.

• 2 weeks later...

Previews:

All looks very good and the building system is super innovative and a great base for creativity, but it has actually made my fear of this being a grandiose Nuts & Bolts even greater really, for someone that's not very creative it's a daunting prospect having to put together all these vehicles to overcome obstacles. It'll be fun for awhile but for how long I'm not sure, it's really cool how realistic the physics are though.

Written Previews:

WellPlayed

I wasn't even able to see any of the story reveals, major characters, cutscenes, any of the dungeons, or any of the more elaborate locations. It was just the sandbox for now. But that sandbox is so dense and so promising that when you fuse that with your knowledge of this series and the exceptionally high bar it always maintains, it's difficult to not get very, very excited. Unsurprisingly, Tears of the Kingdom looks to be another classic in the making, and I cannot wait to get lost in Hyrule all over again.

Washington Post

I played 70 minutes of the game during a highly curated, in-person preview event held by Nintendo in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. Journalists in attendance were the first outside of Nintendo's inner sanctum to have hands-on experience with the year's most anticipated title, which releases May 12. Those minutes washed away any fear that this is a mere update to 2017′s critical and commercial hit "Breath of the Wild," which has sold more than 29 million copies and was often bought along with the Nintendo Switch console. "Tears" will bring many features never seen before in the series.

VG247

So during my relatively brief preview, while I didn't get to see if the world of Tears of the Kingdom had the same sense of incredible density as Breath of the Wild – and it's always tempting to fall into the trap of assuming everything you haven't seen is as great as what you have – it did give me the same daunting feeling of vastness and almost endless exploration.

It would be hyperbolic to say if you were late to the party and played 100 hours of Breath of the Wild recently, rather than in 2017, you're still going to find Tears of the Kingdom completely different. However, the new additions to the core loop make do make this feel like a full sequel, not just an update. The Fuse power steals the show, letting you take an experimental approach to almost everything you encounter.

Polygon

As I write this, thinking back on my brief time with Tears of the Kingdom, my mind is racing with the things I didn't try. Few games have met my goblin tendencies with their own goblin tendencies so confidently. My looming concern is whether the bounty of tools Tears of the Kingdom provides might be overwhelming in the long run. Furthermore, just how much sustained prodding can it take? At what point might I peer behind the curtain to see something Nintendo didn't intend on me discovering? Tears of the Kingdom seems intent on allowing chaos to thrive, and that's a dangerous game to play.

IGN

All in all, from Ultrahand to Fuse and dozens of sky islands, these are just some of the things that make this game - the rare direct sequel to a previous Zelda game - feel the most fresh so far. That's because lots of animations, objects, outfits, sounds, and more feel very similar to Breath of the Wild, which is admittedly a slight letdown based on how much of that game hinged around surprise and discovery. But Tears of the Kingdom is layered (or, uh, tiered) and the way you interact with nearly everything has evolved in creative and dramatic ways, so I have little doubt that there won't be a million new things to do and see in the full game. For now, I'm giddy to not only experience it all myself but to also see how the surely massive player base will make and break this game in brilliant and silly ways. With every puzzle and conflict having such a ridiculous array of solutions, the results will likely be endlessly astonishing and entertaining, especially if you look at what hardcore Breath of the Wild players have already been doing for years in a game where it often feels like you weren't supposed to do those things. Nintendo has taken that ideology and legalized it in Tears of the Kingdom and that's immensely exciting, even if it means there will be lots of hilarious fumbling and falling along the way.

GameSpot

While the demo showed off the massive scope and versatility in just a few small areas, it feels like I've barely scratched the surface. My demo included absolutely no story content, I didn't explore any shrines, and I'm no closer to answering the question of whether Tears of the Kingdom will include more traditional Zelda dungeons. There's a lot of mystery left to uncover, even after receiving a much better sense of the new building tools.

That mystery, like the brain-bending amount of customization and creativity that will surely extend from these tools, will be something players will have to explore together when the game launches on May 12. Starting then, just like the first game and perhaps even more so, the community of Zelda fans will get to plumb its depths together. Tears of the Kingdom looks to be Nintendo inspired by its own fans' creativity, and next month, that cycle will start all over again.

Game Informer

Leaving my hands-on demo, I'm equal parts excited and intimidated by what The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom brings to the table. On one hand, I cannot wait to see just how clever and nearly game-breaking we can get using these various mechanics; it's truly amazing to see Nintendo react to the community's creativity in Breath of the Wild with a sequel that leans into how players used the mechanics in ways they probably never thought of. In giving players even more tools (and just as many new problems to solve), Nintendo is showing it's not afraid of letting players loose in a massive open world with perhaps the most open-ended mechanics it has ever implemented.

Console Creatures

I wasn't ready to leave the demo station and I L-O-V-E-D my experience with The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. In addition, I really found it exciting to see that they showed us the new powers in Link's arsenal before leaving us to our own devices. I felt a lot less rushed as I was able to think outside of the box without worrying about constraints normally left in by developers.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom also looks incredible and it's colourful, feeling like you're often bathed in light. Everything around you comes alive with the wind, sunlight, and life itself, whether you are in Hyrule or Skyrule. The music is always so soothing and relaxing when you walk around and the tension goes up a notch the moment you are seen by enemies or directly during fights.

The puzzles are both simple and complex. In fact, as I said earlier: everything will depend only on you and your ability to analyze and solve these.

To wrap it all up, unfortunately, I can't tell you about the lore that surrounds the game since everything was thought out only to show us the gameplay and how to get started with the game, but I can tell you one thing: if the story is as pleasant as what the adventure reveals to us through these gratifying puzzles and its action that is both intense and fun, you will have in front of you a game which, clearly, is likely to be talked about even more than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Bloomberg

It's difficult to gauge a game as sprawling as Tears of the Kingdom after playing for only an hour, but the potential combination of Breath of the Wild's wonder with Minecraft's creativity makes this seem like another potentially big winner for Nintendo.

Axios

The bottom line: After an hour with a game that will last far longer, Tears of the Kingdom appears to exemplify the inevitable Zelda franchise ebb to more complex experiences.

• 1998's streamlined classic The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time led to 2000's time-looping head-spinner
  • Majora's Mask. The elegant 2002 Wind Waker eventually led to 2011's creative but cumbersome Skyward Sword.
  • With Tears of the Kingdom, Zelda is getting complicated again.

Before and during BOTW people were raving about how amazing it was to the point I ended up trying to avoid listening to any of it to not have those impressions spoiled, and I'm thinking I'll do the same with this cause of the much bigger emergent possibilities with it. But I watched 13:30-15:00 of that giant bomb video and that is exactly the kind of shit I was hoping and expecting this game to deliver on

That guy is out of control

Are people expecting a big story focus in this one? I'd sort of thought it was fairly lean in that regard in BOTW, to the point I'm surprised its sequel can even be spoiled for story stuff (I'm not going to spoil it, and I don't know what they are anyway, but just saying)