passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

H2x1_NSwitchDS_DevilMayCry2_image1600w-1703.jpg

GameCentral readers reveal the worst entries in their favourite video game series, from Halo to Fallout.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Coolsbane, who asked what’s the worst game in your favourite video game series? Is it actively bad by other standards or does it just look that way compared to the others?

That last point varied greatly, with some saying the worst game in series like Dark Souls was still very good, while Sonic The Hedgehog got a number of mentions for its disappointing lack of consistency.

On this subject, a list always come to mind:

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement - Why you don't pass the reigns of an in-house series' revival to an outside studio. 

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - An ill-advised change to the tone and art style, essentially ripped the soul out of the series.

Silent Hill: Homecoming - AKA Why Silent Hill doesn't work in the same mold as RE4.

Blood Omen 2 - The second to last game in a five games series, just seemingly drops the ball in every area.

Soul Calibur 5 - Quality of life gameplay improvements aside, this game throws everything else that works with the series under the bus.

Instead of DMC2 I'm going to say FFXV. I was perplexed by how busted its combat systems were.

The dumb millennial selfie taking and food photo taking stuff was nice though

As for Dark Souls I think II is the worst one but I much prefer it to III. It tried some really interesting shit while 3 was just a dull rehash with BloodBorne style combat.

Anyway @Nag Code Veronica is shite admit it.

Fallout 4. I suppose its actually Fallout 76, but Fallout 4 leaves a worse taste in my mouth because 76 is it's own thing and 4 is a, bad, mainline Fallout game 

Streets of Rage 3 isn't great but I'm over that, it's been 20+ years 

I liked Advance Wars Days of Ruin. I agree they didn't need to change the tone but the one before it was a bit of a mess with feature bloat 

54 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

I liked Advance Wars Days of Ruin. I agree they didn't need to change the tone but the one before it was a bit of a mess with feature bloat 

Granted, Dual Strike was a bit excessive, but to rip everything out made DoR seem like a downgrade even to AW 2.

There are a few examples of games like this EG Tekken 4, wherein someone decides to take an entry in a long running series and try to re-invent the wheel. It rarely works.

@Maf Sunshine is more the weak link in the 3D Mario series, over Odyssey. Although, they are the bottom two. 

8 minutes ago, Nag said:

Let's just say it's comfortably the worst of the fixed camera Resident Evil games.

I dunno, Steve Burnside (and ridiculous back tracking) not withstanding, I still found Code Veronica more enjoyable than Zero.

32 minutes ago, OCH said:

I dunno, Steve Burnside (and ridiculous back tracking) not withstanding, I still found Code Veronica more enjoyable than Zero

Zero suffers from the whole item management system more than anything... where as the whole Ashford thing in Code Veronica is pretty terrible.

The Ashford Twins were good, cheesy old school Resi villains. Better than anyone from 0, 5 & 6. Even Wesker went downhill in 5, when he became full-on Matrix Man. Zero was just a weird mishmash of ideas that didn't gel together. That and it poorly lined up to the game it was a direct prequel to. How do you screw up something that straight forward?

The dumb as rocks story in the second half of Code Veronica still endeers it a lot to me to the point I find it impossible to dislike. 

I don't feel like going into RE6. 

The serieses I like I find to be pretty consistent and I guess I could nit pick my way to a least favourite in them I'd be here all day. 

I think I should give a shout out to God of War 3 since it stepped over the line so much in its tone it retroactively made the previous games less enjoyable.  Well done there. 

And I'm not getting into a fight with @DANGERMAN about SoR3 again because I'll just hit him with a Bare Knuckle that is faster, harder and better looking ?

RE6... ?

I'd agree on GoW3 as well. It really dropped the ball hard after GoW2. A cautionary tale about overexposing a good thing. A lesson that is rarely ever learned, unfortunately. 

Controversial one, but Burnout Paradise for me. The complete opposite to what I wanted from the Burnout series, the open world ruined the focused, tightly designed, expertly crafted design of the previous ones. Plus we lost the crash mode for it too. Didn’t enjoy this instalment much at all. Huge disappointment after B3 which is one of my all time favourites and Revenge, although not as good was still fantastic. 

I thought God of War 3 was fantastic! My favourite after 2. I fucking loved tearing the Gods to pieces. Prefer it to the most recent one too. Was particularly good on the hardest difficulty. One of the most underrated games ever IMO, everyone slags it off and I just don’t get it. 

I’m almost with you on both counts @mfnick. I was also hugely disappointed by Burnout Paradise after ADORING Burnout 3. Man, what an incredible video game. Give me a remake of that. I feel like the only game that has come close was Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010). Ironically that, I think, was when EA basically tried to merge the franchises, and did an excellent job. And then the follow up was Need for Speed Most Wanted which was basically Burnout Paradise again and it was like No! Why do you keep insisting on this stop! Another massive disappointment. 

God of War 3 I also really liked a lot. I will say it was a noticeable step down from 2, and probably on par with the new one in terms of enjoyment for me (I mean the new one probably kills GoW 3 honestly. But taking into consideration the time when GoW 3 came out I think I liked it just as much then as I like the new one today) but that game was a lot of fun except for the final boss which to this day I don’t really know what the player is supposed to do. 

The remaster is actually on sale and I almost bought it. God of War 3 is really fun. 

I haven't played the new one (for obvious practical reasons) but overexposure in general really puts me off things. I'm always a little disappointed when some things aren't allowed to end on a high and/or be one offs, because suits want to squeeze more money out of the fandom. It usually ends the same way IE Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Dead Space 3 etc

5 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

(Still don't like the old ones though)

That puzzles me, given your affinity to Devil May Cry. The genre doesn't really vary that much between the two series, although GoW does have more QTE's.

The examples I can think of are when the game got a new developer, so halo 4 and 5, and later guitar hero games, but I still don’t think those are bad games, just not as good as the bungie and harmonix ones. If you count persona 3/4/5 as a series I’m not too keen on 3.