passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Favourite console maker?

Sony

I've had three of four Playstations (and a Vita). I've always enjoyed many years, and an extensive library, with each. Unlike my previous Nintendo's (no doubt the answer @Nag would have expected from me) I bought the Playstations myself, with my own money [PSOne, PS2 Slim and the non-BC PS3] so they hold a bit more sway in the old memory.

Can I extend this to computer makers, rather than just console? If so, Commodore/Amiga (specifically the Amiga 600)

My first real foray into gaming, the endless options for platformers with personality (I still look back at Harlequin and Fire and Ice fondly. There was some cool ninja one I can't remember the name for too. OO! And Rainbow Islands, Zool, RoboCod and Shufflepuck Cafe!), the fact is was ridiculously versatile. Just everything about it I used to love. It was an amazing machine for the time.

If computers aren't allowed I'll go with... Probably Sony. I loved Nintendo growing up, but I've spent more time with Sony consoles over the years, and the Vita is still a thing of wonder, no matter what anyone says.

Definitely not Microsoft, as I went through at least 6 Xbox 360’s. The actual console was brilliant. But it was unreliable as hell, constantly breaking. 

Id go with Sony, as they’ve been consistent for years now. Had many happy years with my PS4, which is still my Day One version and has had no issues whatsoever.

Yeah, RROD is one reason I avoided MS this gen. As well as how they tried to do sign-on online DRM.

They just have zero trust with me.

I had bad issues with Sony as well though last gen. My PS3 60GB died and no amount of thermal paste would fix things. It was a well reported issue (yellow light) and they had less interest in helping people than MS did, which at the very least is the one thing MS did right with RROD.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-02-peter-moore-recounts-xbox-360-red-ring-of-death-saga

"There was a theory," Moore remembered. "We had changed our solder, which is the way you put the GPU and the fans, to lead-free. Todd, who is the most sincere human being, was going crazy trying to figure it out.

"We knew it was heat related. We think it was somehow the heat coming off the GPU was drying out some of the solder, and it wasn't the normal stuff we'd used, because we had to meet European Standards and take the lead out."

Whatever the cause of RRoD, Moore now believes Ballmer's decision to fork out the money to address the PR disaster it sparked saved the Xbox brand.

Turns out it was the fecking EU that done caused it :fist:

no surprise to anyone but Sega for me

the short version

Mega Drive adore.gif

Saturn adore.gif

Dreamcastadore.gif

What a history, classic games on every platform. The Saturn, which was seen as a bit of a disaster, is the retro console I go back to most often, it's 2D games are great, it had the best controller, came with a SCART lead, what more could you want

dark-souls-main-new-2da5.jpg

GameCentral readers name their favourite games that they never got on with at first, from Destiny to Red Dead Redemption 2.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader ‘Daley’ Thompson, who asked what game that you like now did you not initially enjoy? How long did it take to change your mind and what finally brought you around?

A high difficulty or lack of explanation was the most common reason, with SoulsBorne games being mentioned a lot, but not liking the main character or story also put off a lot of people at first.

The only thing like that, which immediately comes to mind is Resident Evil 4.

I didn't like the shift away from Survival Horror to Action. After the village sequence (which I really did enjoy) I was so disappointed that the tone of tension of that scene more or less evaporated immediately, when asked, I lent the game to my brother for about a year. Eventually I just let him keep it after a month or so. He eventually nagged at me to finish the game, as I didn't "give it a fair chance". After a while I did finish it. While I don't outright hate it anymore, it still isn't among my favourites and not a game I would ever go back to.

Fallout 3. I hated it when I first played it. Funnily enough it was a difficulty issue for me. Seemingly wherever I went I got killed by something I had no chance against. Either due to lack of decent weapons and ammo or being out levelled. I almost quit but due to all the praise I decided to stick at it and instead knocked the difficulty down to where I could actually start exploring properly and got hooked on a couple of story paths then that was it, I was in 100% and ended up being one of my favourite all time games. 

The Saboteur. I had to review it, it came out really late in the year, right before christmas, and I was trying to get it done before christmas. I hated it. I think it might just start badly, but I was dreading having to start playing it again. I don't know if the game got better or if the break just helped me click with it, but I ended up really enjoying it. I was thinking about it today because it was on HotUKDeals cheap on pc, I'd maybe consider playing it again if it wasn't so long

I think the obvious one for me would be Monster Hunter : World... I generally hate the "you just don't get it" argument but in this games case it was completely true.

I'm not sure why it fell on its arse with me so bad first time round but after giving it a second chance I think I ended up with around 90 hours clocked... I'm not sure I'll ever go back for the expansion but I did end up enjoying what I played.

Honorable mention goes to Bloodborne.