passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Games I wish I could experience again for the first time? So many.

I think the most fun I ever had playing a game was San Andreas, so that for sure. Guitar Hero too.

Something like Outer Wilds can never be experienced twice (although I hope they make a sequel).

Being back home in Ireland is reminding me that one of my favourite things to do is play games so that’s something that I’d like do a lot of when I get back to Japan. I never thought I’d have to “make time” to play games but I guess life goes that way.

VG-RP-Another-Top10-Worst-Videogame-Consoles-720p30.jpg

Nag says "What's the worst gaming device you've owned? Could be a console, handheld or maybe a PC that didn't measure up"

Accessory I used least has been the RingFit (albeit I know it was hugely popular with some, but just didn't do it for me) - would have been better for me if you could actually use it with the NS screen (rather than docked to TV) but the RingFit game just wasn't really configured (screen icons not big enough) to reasonably allow that, whilst exercising a safe distance away.

Albeit I also bought a Wii Official SD Card at the same time I got my Wii, and that's still BNIS.

Worst console was original GBA, with it's woefully unlit screen (ended up with one of those awful 3rd Party 'light magnifiers' attached to it, just so I could reasonably play at times) - whilst ironically the GBA SP was later one of my favourites (hence GBA had lots of great games, but initial hardware wasn't great).

Special hand wincing shout out for the DS Guitar Hero add on - really great in theory, actually worked reasonably well too - but the hand cramps......!!!!

Easily for me the worst console I’ve ever owned is the PSP. I remember buying it, unpacking it, playing GTA for an hour and the level of regret is unmatched by any other console.

Although the worst computer I almost had is when I went to my aunt’s and she had a Commodore 64 and let me play, and then asked me if I wanted it - for free.

And as a kid who had no amount of discernible taste for anything video games I was like - no thanks 

As I've never been disappointed by a console I've owned. I'd probably say the Vita? I mean, on the one hand I only ever owned/played Suikoden 1 ala PSN Store on it. Yet, I recall holding the thing only really demonstrated that no one does handheld's better than Nintendo. The Vita was nice enough. But it was no GBA or DS, regardless of graphics.

Easily the Wii. Apart from the first 5 minutes with Wii Sports it was a terrible console. Hated everything about it. Only slightly redeeming thing about it was Virtual Console and they didn’t even do that well. 

Wii U is close behind but the very few games released for it were a lot better and the idea around the console with handheld was sound so it narrowly avoids bottom place. 

If controllers count it would be the last couple of Dualsenses that developed drift after like less than a year of use. 

Modern controllers are a racket. It introduces such unwanted tedium when dealing with them. Terrible controller.

The Wii is the console that I, by far, bought the least games for - but I did enjoy many hours of fun with games like Mario, Zelda, Zak & Wiki and inc multiplayer Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Big Brain Academy etc.

So can't be too hard on it overall.

I recall complaining back then about how much it cost to buy four Wiimote's, plus Nunchucks, plus batteries. Coming in around £45 each. With controller prices today, that seems laughable now.

Wii for me too... as soon as I'd played Umbrella Chronicles I lost interest in the machine. Probably bought about 4 games in total... complete waste of time and cash. 

You guys missed out. Punch Out, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, No More Heroes (1 & 2), Madworld, the aforementioned mentioned Zack & Wiki, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, HotD: Overkill and those are just a handful of examples of Great Wii games (without the Mario/Zelda mainstays). 

I loved the Wii, from pretty early on because of the novelty, and at the time I was playing a load of multiplayer, but still like Eledees and Zak & Wiki were way more interesting to me than what was on the other consoles at the time. Metroid Prime 3 when that eventually came out, Smash, Excite Truck, the light gun games. It ran out of steam eventually, but I still like it 

I feel bad saying this because I really like that it exists, and I think it's improved, but the Evercade. A retro based console where you get collections of games on carts. I bought this collectors edition at launch that came with all the games, and the plan was that I was going to keep up with it and have the complete collection. Thing is, it wasn't a lot of fun to play. The OS had issues, the controls were backwards (they fixed this relatively quickly as I understood it). The selection of games too, it's great that there's an outlet for them, but that home computer era (C64 etc), it's not for me. 

I have been tempted to buy a handheld that plays them recently. Honestly not sure why, I think I just want to like it, I do like it as a concept, just maybe the reality is that the Amiga and the like weren't for me 

It's such a shame that Capcom will likely never port Zack & Wiki to anything else. Also bizarre how underrepresented Point & Click's were in the Wii, in light of the Wiimote.

I can't say the Wii was the worst when the PS3 was sitting right next to it.  It had a bad user interface, was slow, had the weirdest DualShock.  It was rough.  In terms of home consoles I think it's my least favourite.  But add handhelds I'm struggling between the OG GBA and the PSP.

I've never owned any of the really weird stuff like an Ouya or a CDi or whatever.

PS3 was a terrible console. But the later half of its lifecycle it had some amazing games. The 60gb with PS2 compatibility and upscaling was really useful too. Shame the 2 I owned broke - near launch and bought one relatively recently to play some PS2 games on modern Tvs and that did the same. 

9 minutes ago, mfnick said:

The 60gb with PS2 compatibility

Oh yeah! I remember how Sony completely botched the initial release of the PS3. The overpricing, the different versions etc

I really liked the OS on the PS3, I thought it was really quick. I didn't love installing everything mind. It was also the last time one of the big 2 felt distinct 

Oh, I've remembered that I had an Onlive. I didn't hate that, and it only cost me about £40 with a couple of games. It had some really cool touches, like the homescreen was a wall of screens of what people were playing that you could jump in and watch. But it barely had any games and you aren't paying £40 to buy a game with how they ran 

You serious? 

Being technically superior but every 3rd party game performing far worse on it? The bad pad which was way too light and had convex triggers? The constant updates which took ages to download but then had to install too (still an issue today but seems less of a problem for some reason - probably because there’s not a 360 equivalent which installs updates in seconds. The separate install still sucks shit though), the barebones and bad online, UI was bad compared to (earlier) 360 - subjective but I’d say the majority would agree. There’s probably other issues I’m not thinking of but I just remember every time I used my PS3 back then it was a pain.

Im actually a fan of the PS3 in general but the console was bad. It was basically a far worse experience in every way to the 360. Until the amazing exclusive games appeared later in its life.