passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I think XII establishes its world really well. It's a country carved up by uncaring empires seen from the ground level of those most impacted by it. People always go on about the Vaan stuff but I think it works well enough with how it sets the perspective, even if he doesn't occupy a central position in the story. What it misses later on is it becomes a lengthy maguffin quest and resolves the main story in a surprisingly abrupt way.

It's also one of the only 'modern' FF games I've found to have a world that feels relatively complete, rather than a linear straight line or a strange collection of open world zones that don't feel very big like in XV and XVI. XII just feels big, the way it all connects

resident-evil-4-remake-002-4be0.jpeg

Readers votes for their favourite games of 2023, with Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom, Resident Evil 4, and Baldur’s Gate 3 all in contention.

It’s that time again, when we ask readers to write in with their three favourite games of the outgoing year, so we can collate the votes and creator a Readers’ Top 20. Although our Top 20 has some restrictions, such as no remasters or remakes, the readers’ version has no restrictions, other than the games must have been released new in 2023.

In the end, it was a fairly easy win for Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom, which was well ahead of the rest of the pack, although that may be because Baldur’s Gate 3 has made less impact on consoles, and was only released on Xbox in December, and so less people are likely to have played it compared to the other contenders.

I wouldn't usually use this type of question as we cover something similar ourselves but I really can't be arsed coming up with a different one today... give us your top three games, 20 is overkill.

Slightly different to what I picked in the thread, because I think I had Robocop in 3rd, but Baldur's Gate 3, Spiderman 2, then Like A Dragon Gaiden in 3rd. 

I hadn't played enough of Like A Dragon Gaiden when the thread ended, but now I've finished it I loved it. Not that I'm annoyed Robocop got left in, that was really enjoyable if a bit one note. 

Them mentioning Zelda, I was surprised how quickly that stopped being talked about. Not meaning to imply anything with that, it's more of a straight sequel which is probably why it didn't get talked about as much as the 1st. It did seem to go quickly though, which I suppose is testament to how many good games there were last year. 

I got a bit exhausted by Zelda after a bit, but I really liked what I played. I got addicted to finding as many different and varied ways to fight enemies in that game with the physics systems, weapon and item combos and the way they AI all reacts. People say the gameplay in that is like pressing one button but there's so much reactivity and dynamism built into it, the depths are built around you having to scramble and improvise like that

LoZ: Tears of the Kingdom

Mortal Kombat 1

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-boot Camp - Armoured Core 6

They can be in any order really. But AW and AC are tied. Because I haven't returned to finish either since release. At least I completed (and traded in) the other two.

Tears of the Kingdom

Octopath Traveller 2

Alan Wake 2

Octopath 2 in particular got massively overlooked. It’s one of the best JRPG’s I’ve played and would literally recommend it to any JRPG fan with no hesitation. Especially amazing in handheld with headphones. Switch/Steamdeck is the way to do it 

1 hour ago, Maf said:

Octopath 2 in particular got massively overlooked. It’s one of the best JRPG’s I’ve played and would literally recommend it to any JRPG fan with no hesitation. Especially amazing in handheld with headphones. Switch/Steamdeck is the way to do it 

I got this for Xmas but it’s just been too stacked even just for JRPGs that I’ve not even started it yet. I’ll try and make it my next one but I really want to play FFXVI, P5T and P3 Remaster too. Plus FFVII RR is out soon. Jesus! 
Maybe I do need a PlayStation Portal so I can play them while the missus is watching TV? 🤔😂

Yeah, my top 3 hasn't changed either, that being Prime Remastered, Octopath II and Advance War Re-boot Camp. Depending on the criteria if I had to take out Prime because it's not a new game then number four (Theatrhythm) would simply rise up.

Ignoring the heavy toll it took on the people behind the games, it really was an exceptionally strong year. Even beyond the very obvious candidates like Zelda, Baldur's Gate and RE4, which I haven't even played, there were a lot of smaller releases I enjoyed quite a bit. 

I struggled for time with games last year so played very little of a lot. I couldn’t even put a top 10 together. Unless it was the top 10 beginnings of video games in 2023.

I think the worst game I played last year was Star Wars Jedi Survivor. I could RANT. But I’ll refrain. 

Diablo 4 also kind of sucked. I played the entire campaign solo. So maybe that’s why. But I was hoping it would be good and it was just very meh. 

iirc my top 3 from the vote were:

- dodonpachi dai ou jou - because it's the best port of one of the best games/bullet hell shmups there is, relentlessly brutal, amazing music, what's not to like. well the new modes weren't as good is i was hoping - well they were good but silly massive difficulty spike on the last boss but whatever.

- hifi rush - this has it's problems, like the levels were too long, but man it's so good, probably the first beat-em-up i've been able to play on harder difficulties with dodging/blocking/parrying and whatnot, great music, great graphics, great characters, some of the boss battles are amazing.

- pikmin 4 - slow start but a long game where the credits come about half way through and the best stuff is in the second half of the game. 

there were so many great games last year imo could easily replace those with other stuff, like zelda, bomb rush cyberfunk, star wars jedi something, ghostrunner 2, cyberpunk dlc, mario wonder, samba de amigo vr. and stuff i didn't get round to playing yet which i recon i'll also really like like talos principal 2 and re4.

I won’t need to go into too much detail, as I think my post in the Game Of The Year thread covered it. But here goes:

1: Like A Dragon Gaiden-The Man Who Erased His Name. Easily one of the best games in the LAD/Yakua series, and my absolute favourite game of 2023.

2- Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty. One of the best DLC campaigns of all time. Loved every minute of it.

3- Super Mario Bros Wonder. Just an incredibly creative, fun game.

f89a4484b44413e7961d99310be44036-e1427117010998.jpg

As Suicide Squad arrives to a mixed reception, readers discuss their favourite superhero games, from Midnight Suns to Spider-Man 2.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader Gadfly, who also asked, if budget was no issue, what kind of superhero game would you like to see and who would you like to make it?

Some people got fairly broad with the definition of superhero but that’s unsurprising given how relatively few games there have been over the years, with Batman: Arkham and Spider-Man games easily coming out on top.

Quite an apt question as I'm playing through the Arkham trilogy at the moment....

Don't really care for Spider-Man and discounting Arkham Asylum/City, I'd say Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is probably my favourite. Technically InFamous counts too, but those games do take a while to get good when it comes to abilities. Hulk is just fun from the beginning. When you level your first building or use a car as boxing gloves, it's pretty awesome.

Yet in answer to the question: X-Men Legends. That is the one series I wish would return one day (Not in the neutered way Ultimate Alliance did either). Unsure of a dev though🤔

But I think there is also a genre split here. Superhero Fighters are probably the most fun you can have with them in a video game. X-Men Mutant Academy/Next Dimension is the revival I'd like to see here. Maybe give the IP to Iron Galaxy to see what they can do with it?

As boring an answer as it is, I'd say Spiderman 2 and Arkham Asylum (then City, not Knight). I was trying to think of more obscure ones, there was a Spiderman game on the Dreamcast and PS1 that was really good, and old Spiderman 2 on the PS2. The Snes Batman Returns was a banger, Mega Drive Batman was good, Spiderman from back then was solid as was the X-men game. 

I never played that Wolverine Origins game nor Punisher, both of those are supposed to be good. I can't think of any other non obvious characters, Spawn I suppose but I'm not sure how many of his games were good 

Also, quite possibly my favourite was Marvel vs Capcom 2 and the other Capcom fighters (X-men vs Capcom especially) 

marvel-vs-capcom_2-marvel-vs-capcom.gif

25 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

As boring an answer as it is, I'd say Spiderman 2

Spider-Man_2_Enter_Electro_US_Cover.jpg

Oh I played that one! (Also still never played Arkham Knight, although I haven't heard much positivity about it)

Punisher (PS2) was good. Much like Destroy All Humans! did with the open world of GTA. It took Manhunt and made it more fun. I do miss the 2D beat-em-up era of comic book games, too. All difficult, but rewarding.

I'd love to see MvC4 someday. But if Infinite is any indication. Disney mostly ensures it won't be as good as the first two.

I have the most unimaginative and boring answer possible but another Batman/Batgirl game from Rocksteady is what I want 😭

What if Capcom made Marvel Zombies where you play as the Punisher/Deadpool and have to get through NY and superheroes are the boss fights 

Or a Superman game by the people who made Asura's Wrath 

Or Mario Kart but with X-Men

3 minutes ago, Maf said:

I have the most unimaginative and boring answer possible but another Batman/Batgirl game from Rocksteady is what I want 

How about a Batman Beyond game from Rocksteady?

If money was no object I'm not sure id waste it on another cape game. That said, it would be MVC4 I suppose

I think the only marvel game I've really liked in recent years was GOTG. It has this kind of energy that the original Nier had where it was like this loving pastiche of older narrative adventures. The final third of the game sucked, but it was a more outstanding game to me than Spiderman which felt more like a 'going through the motions' AAA. It also had a better version of Drax the Destroyer, and I can see why Dave Bautista maybe has mixed feelings on that character. An actor like that could have been used for a lot more