passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

2 hours ago, OCH said:

I see some surprising omissions though? Code Veronica, the Wii Chronicles games, the Revelations series ..

I forgot them is all...😂

Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Dreamcast, GameCube and Xbox 360) I owned the first Chronicles game on Wii (never played the second) and bought both Revelations game for Xbox.

Dead Aim is a weird one, I know I started it but definitely didn't finish the game for some reason.

28 minutes ago, Nag said:

Dead Aim is a weird one, I know I started it but definitely didn't finish the game for some reason.

Pretty sure I've played Gun Survivor? Since it has something Code Veronica about it that I vaguely remember. Watching bits and pieces about Dead Aim. I definitely didn't play that one...

Like most my mine is probably Resident Evil - RE1-8, CV, REmake 1-3, Gun Survivor 1 & 2, Umbrella Chronicles, think that’s all I’ve played. Keep meaning to check out Revelations 1 & 2 as well and just bought 4 Remake. So yea, RE by a margin. One of the best long running franchises. 

Then there’s Sonic - SMS 1, 2 and Chaos, SMD 1-3& Knuckles & 3D Blast, Jam, Sonic R, Racing, Team racing, Advance 1-3, Rush series, Chronicles, Mania, Generation, Unleashed, Forces, Adventure 1&2, probably forgetting some there too. 

God of War is another I’ve played a lot of too, played them all except Ragnarok (which I will get to) including portable instalments and the HD collection. 

Played most Mario games too even though since World and 64 I’ve not been keen but still get caught up in the review hype so keep trying them. 

1. Ratchet & Clank (PS2) 2002
  2. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS2) 2003
  3. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS2) 2004
  4. Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)
  5. Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (PSP/PS2) 2007
  6. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3) 2007
  7. Secret Agent Clank (PSP/PS2/PSVita) 2008
  8. Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (PSN) 2008
  9. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
  10. Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (PS3/PSVita) 2012
  11. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (PS3) 2013
  12. Ratchet & Clank (PS4) 2016
  13. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)

Had to get a list off the internet, but yes, apart from the new one (for lack of the hardware), I've played them all.

31 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

I've never played a Ratchet & Clank game.....

Same. I think I played a demo of Jak & Daxter. Beyond that, I haven't had any real exposure to Sony's platformers.

1 hour ago, shinymcshine said:

Now I don't know whether to be terrified or excited.....!?!?

As a huge fan of all things robot. I'll settle for ..unimpressed😅

I'm a fairly late convert to Ratchet & Clank, I got Rift in Time with my PS3, but I absolutely loved that. I suspect you need a bit of time between each game, because they are much of a muchness, but they are really good. And Mr Zurkon is great

Crack (not rift @DANGERMAN) in Time is definitely the masterpiece of the series. If you're going to play one, play that.

Nexus and the 2016 remake of the first one are also up there for me, although 3 is generally regarded as the highpoint for the wider fan base.

Screenshot_2-37f5.jpg

Readers discuss the best video games where nobody gets hurt, from Outer Wilds and Tetris to Overcooked 2.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Gamgee, who asked what’s your favourite game where everybody lives? Is that what attracted you to the game or were you unconvinced it would be fun until you tried it?

Animal Crossing and Tetris were two obvious choices but there was also a number of walking sims, as well as rhythm action games, and simulators.

Kind of topical, or was about 2 weeks ago, but Attack of the Friday Monsters was a breath of fresh air when it came out. Just a chilled summer experience through a kids imagination 

On the other end of the scale, although I suppose it fails on the "no one dies" metric given literally Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, but that was a quiet morose game. There's a few walking simulator games like that I suppose, they invariably do seemed to be themed around death, mind 

There's a couple of videos excellent videos from Tim Rogers that spend some of their time talking about these kinds of games; Tokimeki Memorial and Boko no Natsuyasumi, and talks about the types of games more broadly.  The former a more complex than it sounds dating sim and the latter being a slice of life game about a childhood summer that Attack of the Friday Monsters was very likely inspired by.  Lots is said but a simple takeaway is maybe there should be more of these.

I can't say I've played too many games like this, mostly because many that are made tend to remove complexity and mechanical engagement and I don't believe that necessarily has to be the case.  You can absolutely make non-violent and interesting ways of interacting with a game in a relatively traditional way.  A favourite of mine I'll say is Chibi-Robo.  I suppose there is a small part of the game where you shoot some robot spiders but that could be removed and the game wouldn't be missing much.  95% of the game is exploring and doing little jobs for the family that bought you and more of the house opens up or becomes accessible as you play.  It's just done in a fun and intelligent way, it's in my top 10 for the GameCube.  I'd really like more of that type of thing.

I'll take the cheap way out and say the Forza Horizon games... ragging high end cars around in beautiful locations while listening to some quality music... and no death in sight.

274svg3dx3rx-dd21.jpg

Readers discuss what other video games should get the Super Mario Bros. movie treatment, with suggestions from Star Fox to Silent Hill.

Given the unexpected success of Nintendo’s new movie adaptation, this week’s Hot Topic asked what other animated 0 not live action – game adaptations you’d want to see. They didn’t have to be from Nintendo or even family friendly, just whatever readers thought would work best.

Understandably, Nintendo and Sega games did dominate the discussions but there were also suggestions for more mature-rated fare, such as Metal Gear and Castlevania.