passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

@bellowRay Tracing is all about reflections and realistic lighting properly bouncing off surfaces not your resolution. You’ll be able to see that benefit no matter what your tv is and It’s been a pretty big and noticeable difference whenever I’ve see it. The new Spiderman& remaster look particularly impressive.

Maybe a bad demo? Does tend to look a lot better on games built for it. I’ve seen it applied to Gears 5 and that was barely noticeable. 

12 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Keep in mind Watch Dogs was supposed to come out earlier this year, so that's probably the one new game on that list where they didn't have to crunch themselves to almost-death.

I think Ubisoft are one of the best studios for not having to crunch. Obviously they have other issues like the sexual harassment stuff but yeah I think for not having to crunch they're one of the best. Source

11 hours ago, mfnick said:

I’ve seen it applied to Gears 5 and that was barely noticeable. 

That was screen-space reflections, not RT. We haven't seen a single XSX game with RT yet outside of a 30 minute Minecraft tech demo as far as I know.

Did Gears 5 not use some sort of weird software RT or something, I thought someone said that to me before.

I'll be happy to see the end of screen space. It's gotten more prevalent in games but also it's gotten more noticeable how the reflections get abruptly cut off behind the player character. Especially when sailing a boat in Witcher 3 on PC.

RT is one of those things which isn't immediately impactful like HD or HDR but I think in this Watch Dogs benchmark just having the puddles reflect the scene adds lots of depth.

(Whoof at not having 60fps at 4k on a 3090 without heavy DLSS tho)

Screenspace would often mean the reflections behind some NPCs might not appear right and you would have it cut off at the sides of the screen. 

I just wonder if every game is going to lean in heavily on puddles and chrome surfaces everywhere for a few years

3 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I think Ubisoft are one of the best studios for not having to crunch. Obviously they have other issues like the sexual harassment stuff but yeah I think for not having to crunch they're one of the best. Source

I highly doubt that a game that was planned for November pre-Covid and is still coming out in November despite Covid was made without crunch. That just seems like an impossible scenario at this point considering all the delays.

1 minute ago, Maryokutai said:

I highly doubt that a game that was planned for November pre-Covid and is still coming out in November despite Covid was made without crunch. That just seems like an impossible scenario at this point considering all the delays.

WDL was due out a year ago and got delayed twice. Don't think it's impossible at all considering that extra dev time, even with COVID. All depends how quickly and efficiently Ubi adapted. 

I mentioned WD as the one exception where they probably didn't have to crunch. Valhalla never had its date changed (at least we presume it was always meant to come out this November) and I expect Immortals rebranding was decided before Covid as well.

1 hour ago, Maryokutai said:

I mentioned WD as the one exception where they probably didn't have to crunch. Valhalla never had its date changed (at least we presume it was always meant to come out this November) and I expect Immortals rebranding was decided before Covid as well.

I get you, I just think we would've heard about it if there was any significant crunching going on is all I'm saying. Ubi aren't CDPR or ND, in terms of personnel they probably have the most out there so would be the least likely to have to crunch is all I'm saying. 

Watch dogs is overheating and crashing xboxes for some reason on a mission called '404'. Ironic a mission called after a server error is breaking machines.

I feel like we see way more severe QA problems with games atm, or maybe it just feels like that to me after playing Avengers. Another possible covid impact.

18 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Watch dogs is overheating and crashing xboxes for some reason on a mission called '404'. Ironic a mission called after a server error is breaking machines.

I feel like we see way more severe QA problems with games atm, or maybe it just feels like that to me after playing Avengers. Another possible covid impact.

Which Xbox, Series X?

I don't envy those developers who have to get their games running on 7 (!) different consoles during this cross-gen phase. And that's only if they don't plan on bringing something to PC, Stadia or Switch.

Wasn't the benefit of using and programming for a console usually that it's always the same box, no matter what? Imagine the Q&A process on these things. "Yes, you're now going to walk through the entire map in this game to check if the character doesn't fall through the floor. Oh, and you have to do it seven times. GLHF!"

Well, I suppose that's where we are. Suddenly those increased prices for games don't sound so unreasonable anymore.

Not really sure where else to put this, but it looks like EA are getting taken to task for their loot boxes in FIFA:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/dutch-judge-rules-that-ea-should-be-fined-e250k-every-week-until-it-removes-fifa-loot-boxes/

The Netherlands Gaming Authority will be allowed to fine Electronic Arts €500,000 every week it sells loot boxes in FIFA Ultimate Team, after the feature was deemed in violation of gambling rules.

The decision was approved by the court of The Hague on Thursday, following a lengthy legal battle between the Gaming Authority and EA.

The independent body ruled in 2018 that FIFA’s Ultimate Team Packs mechanic was in violation of its Gambling Act, and suggested the weekly fine (up to a maximum of €10 million), which was then challenged by EA in court.

A weekly €250,000 fine will be charged against both EA and its Swiss subsidiary, which is responsible for the sale of FIFA, for a total of €500,000 a week.

Not sure if it's in the full article, but EA have appealed so they don't have to do anything for a while. They'll make millions in the mean time. 

Worth noting that the likes of Valve just stopped selling loot boxes in the Netherlands rather than go to court