passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Be sitting here feeling apologetic that I’ve never played a Zelda, nevermind all, where I’ve thought oh shit not this again at some point.

Cant vouch for Z2 tho I hated it and haven’t touched it since release. Ppl swear by it ?

Then it somehow turned into all games ever having those moments. Ya’ll need a hug?

Pretty good list

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-18-the-top-10-games-of-the-generation

My only major complaint about BOTW is it has to be on a system like the Switch. That game is so good it's like a thesis statement on how to make a good ass game. Make it feel like the entire world is authored and not procedurally generated, even if it is. Every cliff and valley is design and placed in the world with intent.

My own top 5 in no order would be something like XIV, BOTW, BloodBorne, Nier and maybe Outer Wilds just creeps in there.

Titanfall 2 and Uncharted 4 are the only ones that would have a chance of getting in mine out of those. & not even sure they’re both there without a proper check. Adored Nier but it’s not quite there I don’t think. 

Ive not played Witcher 3 though. Saving that until next gen now since they’re doing the free upgrade thing. 

I need to give BOTW another go at some point. I enjoyed what I played but just fell off it like a cliff. 

Slay the Spire and Threes I actively dislike. 

only Nier and Witcher would get in my top 10 (Witcher 3 would be top). There's a few there I haven't played, but equally they aren't my sort of thing for the most part (Zelda, Threes, Outer Wilds, Slay the Spire, which might actually be very good). I've not played enough Kentucky Route Zero to judge it, I didn't think Titanfall 2 was all that special, Bloodbourne just isn't for me, and Uncharted 4 isn't even the best Uncharted of the generation

On 17/09/2020 at 03:51, mmmark said:

Be sitting here feeling apologetic that I’ve never played a Zelda, nevermind all, where I’ve thought oh shit not this again at some point.

Cant vouch for Z2 tho I hated it and haven’t touched it since release. Ppl swear by it ?

Then it somehow turned into all games ever having those moments. Ya’ll need a hug?

Nah, do you need a hug?  Zelda 2 is weird trash and appreciating the cool stuff it does is a positive thing.  My meme was a total shitpost, I don't actually think it's the best Zelda (I think they're all a melstroam of awesome with a peppering of weirdly questionable design; I love them like a bunch of children that each have a different frustrating quirk).

And yeah all games have trash, even your most loved.  It's really freeing to come to that conclusion.  I recommend it.  It doesn't have to affect what they mean to you.

Doom and Titanfall 2 are the only good shooters this gen for me so I dunno what I'm missing for it not to be there.

Okay, I guess Overwatch is there too, but I guess I weirdly put that more in the nebulous "competitive game" genre since it's so multiplayer focused.  But for SP shooting, what is better than Titanfall 2 and Doom?

My tolerance for shooters is really low especially post CoD 4 where they all sort of resemble the same thing but DOOM 2016 and Titanfall 2 are ones I actually like. Especially how TF2 is about replacing cover with mobility and how you can channel that mobility with smaller wall runs and stuff.

The only reason I haven't beaten it yet is again, my tolerance for shooting fuckers in the head is pretty low and I only want to do it now and then. I much prefer slower, more boring games.

Doom Eternal hangs with them on a pure gameplay level but the game surrounding it is kind of bad so it gets booted.

Also Outer Wilds is at the very least worth peeking at to decide if you like it. It's like the video game version of a really dense snow globe or something. I think it's a bit busted in parts and its budget stymies its design but it's a well executed idea

Hmm. FPS games have been quite lacking this gen actually. I just had to Google some to remind my self.

Superhot is not traditional and quite gimmicky but that’s not a bad thing. The ending made me very uncomfortable but it’s a cool game. 

Destiny 1 & 2 are really fun shooters. In terms of shooting mechanics and feel I think they’re up there with the best of this generation. Just the MMO-like stuff surrounding it is. Well, when it’s good it’s great and when it’s bad it’s very boring. I also hate the PvP. 

I know people really liked the Wolfenstein games. I put up with the first one because it was early in the generation and not a lot happening but in retrospect I really wasn’t in to it and the second one I have no time for. 

I played a tiny bit of Apex, won my fifth match or something and have been scared to go back. Online games are intimidating as is but something about Battle Royales have triple trepidation for me. I did really like this game, though. I should grow a pair and give it another shot.

I skipped a lot of CoD games this gen but that last Modern Warfare reboot was awesome. I still don’t think it was quite to the level of original MW or even the brilliant MW2 remaster last year. I still really, really enjoyed it, though and despite being a reboot it felt fresher than any of the other COD’s I played this gen. I wish it was a bit more high action and set piece-y, though. They have that, but I expected more. 

Looking at the rest of this short list there really isn’t much to pick from. I didn’t play any Battlefield. I didn’t play Overwatch. Metro was bad. Farcry was Farcry. Borderlands 3 I liked a lot but is isn’t good. No, Killzone Shadowfall shoo, get out of here. 

I guess Titanfall 2 and Doom 2016 really are the best shooters this generation. Oh, and I guess actually Titanfall 1 was really brilliant, but Titanfall 2 does everything that game did but better and with an awesome single player mode. 

Doom 2016 and Eternal is weird. I thought Doom 2016 was a lot of fronting and actually tamer than it pretended to be. It’s not that fast, the weapons aren’t that exciting, it’s kind of a bit too straight forward. Then I played 2 levels of Eternal and it went too far the other way where it was too fast, too difficult, too chaotic. I should probably play more but out the gate I was massively put off. 

Titanfall 2 is awesome but hopefully next gen shooters make a comeback. Err, fingers crossed for Halo Infinite?

I mean, I've enjoyed the Destiny games a lot at certain times but I guess video game genres are weird.  Much like Overwatch I don't necessarily come to Destiny for the FPS experience.  I liked the RPG-like loadout building and then tackling a specific challenge using it, that happened to be an FPS.

Video game genres need a reboot.

Titanfall 2 is wall to wall with exquisite design, even just as a straight up vanilla shooter it's very good, but when you pile the rest of the stuff on it elevates it into the cherished thing people like to fawn over. The act of moving about in that game is dreamy. I'd love to see Respawn have a crack at a parkour game focused purely on traversal.

2 hours ago, Maf said:

Hmm. FPS games have been quite lacking this gen actually. I just had to Google some to remind my self.

I actually just wanna disagree with this statement.  After playing a lot of FPSs last gen I was really considering not engaging with them anymore since they were so hemogenous but with games like Doom '16 and TF2 I was brought back in because they reminded me inventiveness still existed in the genre.  I totally think FPSs have been so much better this gen than last.

FPS have to do something different for me to take notice. Killer 7 (my personal favourite in the genre) for example. Or offer something aesthetically different, ala XIII. Human with pew-pews I haven't really enjoyed since Perfect Dark, twenty years ago.