passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Anyone here who's deep into online games, do you get weirdly attached to your in-game avatars at all. I lost a bet in my xiv FC last nite and had to make my beautiful elezen into a horrible leprechaun and I'm so sad. Does anyone relate to this feel lol.

More generally just asking if people get this feeling of investment with their fake selves in games, I might be speaking into the void here cause I don't know if anyone here other than Handsome Dead plays a persistent online game.

14 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

And honestly it's not that difficult. Dangerman's explanation is correct but even if you end with forward like you would for a fireball motion the uppercut still comes out since it usually has priority over the other move. That's why a lot of players do half-circle motions for Hadoukens to get rid of possible forward-buffers from walking around the stage.

Indeed. I love Fighting Games and I've played them since MK 2/SF 2. But I don't get the lingo, nor the online FGC, and I simply can't use a stick to play one. My gaming started with a D-Pad. Anything else feels very wrong. Even playing Binding of Isaac on PC with a keyboard, took a lot of getting used to.

Sold a bunch of gaming stuff for the Wedding fund.

RIP Majora's Mask N3DS, Xbox One S and all my PSVR kit.

The PS4 Pro will be flogged closer to the PS5 release too.

Used Facebook Marketplace to sell the XB1 and PSVR as I was lazy and couldn't be arsed to sell and ship it to someone on easy and it was surprisingly easy, highly recommended. 

I haven't played this game in 6 years or so but was thinking of Metal Gear Rising once I'd heard that the singer for that game's soundtrack did Shadowbringers, ended up on a youtube hole and found this old video someone made of a boss fight in it. Whatever shortcomings or budget issues the game had I don't think I've played a game that gets stupid anime boss fights so well as this and I continue to be sad it will never get a followup.

(fight is 3:10 in or something like that)

Forget MGSVI make MGR2

Also a video for @Maf

This dog can hadouken what's your excuse

I really wish I understood fighting games better to a level where I could appreciate stuff like that, and that the community wasn't such a shithouse that I'd actively want to be part of it. My time spent with any fighting game outside my circle of real life friends is just awful. When SSFIV came out I played that a fair old bit, but I think I was the only person that didn't quit out when they were losing. Also had the weird thing of getting hatemail even when losing, I mean I had the hatemail stuff from Halo and Gears, but usually it was from someone that got killed and was upset about it.

In fact thinking over it, I probably got more hateful stuff through messages vs the amount of people I played against than any other genre. No wonder I never went back. Well, that and being extremely shite at the games as well. Not a good combo. Yes that was a rubbish attempt at a pun.

I can fire ball. I can even double fireball. I can reverse fireball and fire ball in the air. Bring me that dog I will fire ball the shit out of it.

Dragon Punches tho me and the dog go first to 5 ?

I dont play fighting games but the part where they explain the difference between Guile and Ryu and how there's tradeoffs and advantages to their different inputs was super interesting I thought.

Like yeah it makes sense that it's like that and it's absolutely not 'gate keeping' if it's baked into the design of the game, cause to have it otherwise is to make a different game.

But I don't play these games anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party but been trying M&K out as someone who typically ignores these inputs. Been playing Crysis and Titanfall 2. Now as said this isn't my preferred input and I'm less comfortable with it but holy shit in TF in particular I'm like 100% better at it. The difference in being able to just mouse over targets and shoot can't be overstated.

Now I'm really looking forward to that Crysis remaster cause that game feels bad on controller. Also I will probably finally beat TF2 cause it's incredible like this and with high FPS monitor

I think there is a steam game where you can train for kbm, Gary's Mod maybe? I'm not 100% on that though. I played through portal 2 kbm and started Doom, I was fine with the walking and shooting, but it was accurately hitting the other keys for things like opening doors, then moving back to wasd.

EDIT:

KoVaac was the game/program I was thinking of. 

Oh, this is what I started this thread for all those years ago. Here's how I did it @one-armed dwarf.

Easiest path is to play games. Start off with something minimal like Minecraft or other slow games like walking simulators. Basically you only want WASD and mouse controls. Nothing more.

After this, go for something where you can select weapons via the mouse roll and use the pinky to hit Ctrl and shift. L-Alt (thumb) is a nice one to learn here as well as TAB. E and R should be learned here too. I'd recommend something like Skyrim or Fallout so slower games, and stuff like Portal, CS:GO and Left 4 Dead. You can chuck the HL games in as well, although expect them to be hard even on normal difficulty. L4D with bots is especially nice since they can cover you whilst you are being inept without inconveniencing anyone.

You want to play these games and shift out the crutch of the mouse roll onto the keys 1,2 3 and 4. Maybe 5 as well. You can chuck in games like Payday2 that require stricter accuracy, as well as making you aware of F, Z, X and C. Start dialing up the difficulty in the games you've played and are now OK at so enemies need more accurate hits and move about more.

Final step is whatever you want to play. You want to be looking at adding G and V to the roster of keys you need to be able to press in a pinch. These are mostly used for games where a grenade or a melee attack are required. Some games will require ` and ESC as well. Some games require F1 through F4 as well, but I wouldn't worry about those.

A good game to play is a solo MMO, if you can be bothered. I used Elder Scrolls Online. You can totally play that game with a pad if you like, but once you learn mouse and keys on it there's no chance you'd want to ditch the ease and speed of playing any other way.

It's rare I use a controller now, platformers, third person games and stuff like Rocket League I use a One controller, everything else I use a mouse and keys, because it's superior in so many ways.

Be prepared for a fair bit of aching as well, until you learn to relax you left shoulder you're going to be in a whole world of pain. I found putting a cushion under my arm to support it until I could naturally feel at ease helped a lot.

Damn now I have to find a MMO to play, that's going to be really tough.

This is perhaps a bit over eager but I bought this cause I liked the look of it and reviews sounded good. I did not want something glowey

ducky_one_2_tuxedo_full__tkl_double_shot

I already have a decent mouse. 

I think what I'll probably do is find a Bethesda style RPG and sink a few hours in until I get bored. Thinking Morrowind or New Vegas (which I haven't played)

I did find I struggled a bit with Crysis cause of all the different modes and inputs. They don't tell you that all your suit powers can also be accessed from the mouse click wheel, bastards.

I forgot to mention Q in there, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. It's not something you're going to learn in a few weeks, so just keep at it, it'll come eventually. And don't worry if you have a moment of suckiness, I still have them all the time, as anyone that's watched my streams will attest to.

A lot of FPS stuff is just trying to unlearn the snap to aim shit. A lot of the time you're (or at least I was) on the LT then RT train. This is because it's fucking impossible to hit anything on pad unless you have aim assist on. It's pretty feasible on PC to just shoot from the hip and be accurate enough to get the headshots you need, only in circumstances where shit is like a few pixels would you ever ADS.

For example I'm playing Borderlands 3 atm and I can use a sniper rifle at any distance and still pop heads, it just makes playing so much faster. In fact if you go and have a read of the PAYDAY2 thread I mention that it's pretty much impossible to kill shit on the harder difficulties without running the risk of dying or running out of ammo. Also certain combinations are much easier to commit to without fucking up your aim. Crouch jumping is nigh on impossible on a pad for example. I was of the opinion that pads were great for doing complex things, but this went out the window when I realised you 4 points of contact on a pad at a time, 6 if you have fingers on all the triggers, which is super unusual for a game to be like this. On PC you have 9 points of contact and can often press 2 or 3 things at once on each hand, this is just not possible on controller when playing a game aside form combinations that are never used just because they're impractical. The actions per minutes are much higher, often you're avoiding submenus by just using a straight up shortcut, so games tend to run faster because of that.

It's a 'Ducky One 2 tuxedo (full size)'. Actually the one I ordered is ever so slightly different looking, less red. You can get it without numpad also but I wanted it for flight sim (i know keyboard isn't ideal for flying but it is impossible to play that game at all without numpad if you dont want a flight stick)

Yea I'm finding my ADS instincts keep kicking in and it's like 'why am I doing this, the motion clarity and speed or response is so good here'. But these games are designed around consoles so maybe I need to play a PC-ass PC shooter to forget that. I'm not a shooter guy in general but TFII was incredible when I tried it. 

When I'm brave enough I'm trying DOOM Eternal but I'm too scared for that right now. On controller I hit a bit of a bottleneck with it where the slow weapon swapping on console meant I couldn't go as crazy as I'd wanted. Also had to keep using slo-mo to snipe cannons

23 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

1bd85sdbbol51.jpg

That’s a funnier version than the truth that I just read and only half understood.

Apparently it’s you that becomes the train and it’s not your head it’s your arm. There’s a flash of white when you turn the train on to cover the smoke and mirrors being activated and then you’re just stuck in a perspective until the “ride” ends.

The thing I read that made me into a party pooper but it wasn’t on purpose.