passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Caught up on the thread. Some nice chat in there that I won't dredge up because It's all so far away.

My current conundrum is this. Do I just start talking about games I'm doing now, or do I go and write up everything I've played in my absence?

So I just got an email from Nintendo.

2 games whose demos you’ve played are on sale right now!

That was the header.

1. It does amuse me that they have a better memory for these things than I do.?

Valkyria Chronicles 4

−62%    £13.12  £34.99

Offer ends 24/08/2020, 23:59

^That does interest me quite a bit. The other game they were referring to was this: 

Shining Resonance Refrain

−67%    £11.37  £34.99

Offer ends 24/08/2020, 23:59

Which doesn't. That one I do remember from playing the demo and honestly I don't think it was even worth £11.

But it is August, which means I've started my X-Mas shopping. That typically ends the time wherein I buy stuff for myself (which is a rarity anyway). Decisions, decisions..?

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a fantastic game and even better than the original IMO. There's literally no reason why someone who likes videogames shouldn't play this. One of the most overlooked gems of this generation.

Shining Resonance has a really solid battle system but everything else is poop. The dialogue in particular almost physically hurts, gave me very strong FFXIII PTSD.

I’m going to out myself as a noob here but I’ll do it for the culture seriously what in the fucking world is this

EfpH93GXsAMJlf6?format=jpg&name=360x360

Where is that arrow going? There is no place left for the stick to go. Even in the diagram it comes off the area where the stick is. If you go right from bottom It only slides back up as a quarter circle, and then accidental fireballs come out. This is some grade A nonsense. Especially when like me you can only play 2D games on a D-pad. How does that work on a d-pad? I only know how to uppercut in one way and that is to rub the quarter circle motion very furiously like you was trying to make a genie come out of it. Back and forth, back and forth. And I’ll probably shit it and get a fireball.

I did all of Ryu’s combo training things in SF4 too and I still don’t know how to do this. My best guess is you go right, backwards quarter circle to the bottom, and then quarter circle back to the right but only to the 45 degree angle bit. I have had loose amount of success with this, but it’s such a precise stick movement I can not believe that is actually how you are meant to do it. 

Just do the Z motion. What the fuck is a Z motion? Games don’t do Z motions. It’s an uppercut. Why isn’t it just quarter circle up? This is why Chun-Li is better because you just hold one way, and then push the other way. And she has legs, Ryu doesn’t have legs. 

6 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I don't even play SF but I don't get the big thing here, I'm pretty sure its like a flick right then left that sort of curls up. Curling up like a big firey uppercut.

Maybe its cause that same input is similar to some dmc stuff.

You don't dpad those sort of inputs

What DMC move has an input like that? I’m not saying you’re wrong but flick left I don’t get it. You have to start from the right and go down. I’m with it up to there. But then flick left? Where you going left. It clearly says to go right in to an area of existence the stick can not go to. 

Street Fighter is also one of the few 2D games I do with a stick because stuff like this I can’t do on a d-pad. I don’t understand it. My brain is too small.  

Calibur/shuffle for Nero and overdrive for dante have a back and forward stick flick. They don't have the thing tho where you sort of curl the stick up tho. But your banging the stick around in a way thats marginally sf-like

I do not have a sf game at hand but in pretty sure you're trying to hit the right side of the stick, then quickly hit the left side (left back corner)?, then sort of almost scrape the stick against the bottom and swing it 90 degrees up

I had to edit this a bit cause I forgot some things

But you'll have to ask @Maryokutai

DMC forward and back stuff no problemo. DMC hold button and pull opposite direction when character is facing the screen no problemo. Z motion to the side?! Huge problemo. 

Where is the 180 coming from ?

I understand that this is an idiot question but I am an idiot so I find it confounding. I literally did all of Ryu’s combo tutorial stuff in SF4 but I think the way I do it is an unreliable work around. 

In all honesty I think it is right, neutral, down, right, button. But that doesn’t look like that and it’s hard letting go of the stick. That doesn’t work for me. 

@Maf forward, down, down/forward

basically, rather than the quarter circle you'd do for a fireball, you're not going forward at the end. You have to lift your thumb off (you actually rock your thumb back rather than lift off, that's just the best way of explaining it)

and if you think this is complicated, you should see some of the King of Fighters moveset

47 minutes ago, Maf said:

My best guess is you go right, backwards quarter circle to the bottom, and then quarter circle back to the right but only to the 45 degree angle bit 

@DANGERMAN Ahh, so I was sort of close^^ This is why it was unreliable.

Either way. It’s impossible to look at that diagram and think that is appropriate signage for forward, down, forward/down. That is saying right, diagonal left down to dead bottom, right. 

The diagram is a bit weird at first glance but if you know what the motion is, it kind of makes sense. Obviously it should be the other way around in that you understand it from looking at it, but oh well.

Modern SF games (everything since Vanilla SFIV) have an in-built shortcut so you can just double tap down-forward to get an uppercut. Pros sneer a bit at it but if you struggle with the proper motion it's a good compromise. It won't help you in games that don't have the shortcut, mind.

And honestly it's not that difficult. Dangerman's explanation is correct but even if you end with forward like you would for a fireball motion the uppercut still comes out since it usually has priority over the other move. That's why a lot of players do half-circle motions for Hadoukens to get rid of possible forward-buffers from walking around the stage.