passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

If nothing else these Switch rereleases might push me to finally play the Steam versions sitting in my library (Mark of the Ninja, West of Loathing, The Banner Saga).

But yeah some cool games there, Pool Panic, Bomb Chicken and The Messenger looked cool. And of course Lumines Remastered. And The Banner Saga series seems like a great fit for the Switch.

Indie gems Hyper Light Drifter, Nidhogg 2, and Crashlands are all heading to Switch this year, Nintendo has announced.

Somewhat peculiarly, Nintendo chose not to highlight any of the games during its indie-themed video showcase that aired earlier today; instead, they were revealed during a press event that followed the broadcast.

Heart Machine's superb Hyper Light Drifter - a gorgeously designed top-down slasher with a heavy exploration focus - will be first out the door, and is currently scheduled to release this summer. Nidhogg 2, meanwhile - the knockabout follow-up to developer Messhof's cult-favourite multiplayer dueller - has been given a rather more vague "2018" release window.

Finally, there's developer Butterscotch Shenanigans's warmly received sci-fi exploration adventure, Crashlands - which blends top-down RPG action with crafting and building. No firm release date has been given for the Switch version.

Notably, all three titles were developed using YoYo Games' popular GameMaker engine. Up until recently, GameMaker games were incompatible with Switch; earlier this month, however, YoYo revealed that it was working with Nintendo to bring the engine to the console.

Enormously popular retro-RPG Undertale was the first GameMaker title to be announced for Switch, and is expected to arrive later this year.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-20-hyper-light-drifter-nidhogg-2-heading-to-switch-later-this-year

Some more games were just announced after the Showcase.

Hyper Light Drifter

Nidhogg 2

Crashlands

Why on earth do we not know about massive games on the Switch at the moment. Does it not seem weird to anybody else that there is nothing about the next Zelda game, that surely has to be in the works after the success of BoTW, or even something that is a dead given like Pikmin 4. Have I just completely missed this sort of news or what?

Nintendo seem to hold that news back nowadays until its about 6-9 months away, then put out a Direct. They must have something planned for the end of the year, they're running out of games to port 

It's way too early for Zelda though, a mainline one at least, maybe whatever the next 3ds one would have been? 

I think E3 will show us what to expect in the second half of the year.  Mainline Zeldas have four to five year gaps so there won't be another one of those for a while, unless they make one built with BotW's engine and assets, like what Majora's Mask was to Ocarina of Time.  Then we could get one 2019.

We know there's Metroid Prime 4 in the distence as well as Bayonetta 3.  Part of me thinks they won't be this year but Nintendo have been announcing things later than usual so they may be for the end of 2018.

There's Smash.

I'm sure they'll be something else.  Heck, we may even get something good from someone other than Nintendo.  SMTV hasn't been shown yet.

it's impressive that it's running even as it is, but it really does look blurry. I remember hearing an argument that handheld mode was the better way to play Doom because the smaller, lower res screen, helped the visuals look sharper than on a 1080p (or 4K) screen

Weird that they ran the original XBox version as a comparison rather than the 1080p PS4 version. I'd also say, as curious as I am about how this and Doom run on Switch (because it's cool that they exist at all), I can't think of a worse way to play it. The Switch analogues with worse visuals, framerate and resolution, I'd rather play any of the other versions, but if you don't have that option, having games like that on Switch is a good thing

Nintendo have always done their own thing and tbf they do it well. Their games are quality despite any drop in resolution etc. 

It's these ports that don't really do the machine any justice. Doesn't really help it's image. New games please, Mr lazy industry.

All of you. Trying to gloss over faults and saying "Oh, it's fine, Nintendo can do that" is a shit way of looking at it. If you accept it then standards start slipping and if standards start slipping then the consumer is to blame for letting it happen without any push back.

And less of the question marks before the sentence starts, you aren't Spanish. ;)