passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Player unknowns battlegrounds

Sambob

Gearing up my pc to be able to play this, been watching streams of it for ages. 

My pc is about 6 years old now or more and its got 4gb ram and a gtx570 so I've found 8 gb ram and managed to get a gtx 970 for 100 quid which should put me in a good position. 

It's a 3rd person (or 1st) shooter where you and 99 other people drop on to a map, have to find weapons, and kill each other. You're gradually forced to a centralised point so there's always, in theory, something happening 

It's basically DayZ meets Battle Royale 

So I've finally upgraded my pc and it runs this on ultra settings and it looks amazing. Had five or six games last night, managed to do as well as 25th but then I still haven't killed anybody yet, I'm shit with keyboard and mouse. 

Absolutely love the game though, I'm ace at avoiding enemies just need to get better at killing people, I've had the drop on somebody twice and still managed to die, not sure how on the second one as I was right behind him and then he went into a little room and I was ready with a shotgun to kill him as soon as he came out and somehow he killed me. 

Thinking about it he must have seen me with the third person view... Might play more first person as two of my most annoying kills were due to the third person view which in not used to at all. 

Another donking on this tonight, although I did get some kills. Got a nice shotgun kill to the back of the head from where I followed somebody until they started looting and then a frantic and very lucky punch kill where I was left with the smallest amount of health its possible to be left with. 

I managed to finish 13th and think I played the game pretty well but when the circle shrank right at the end it wasn't a particularly favourable position and in my scramble to get into the circle I guess I left myself exposed, died to a head shot and as usual didn't have a clue where from. 

My main issue is my aim, I've had a few times where I could have killed a guy but my confidence in my aim was so low that I just let them go by rather than take a risky shot. I think I'm good enough to be useful in a squad so will try that next time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did some squad games last night through matchmaking. Weirdly enough it was auto-pairing me with Asia which took me about three games to notice, just thought it got some random chinese speaking players over and over again. I actually had a really good moment where I took out a small team on my own by sneaking up on guy and then shotgunning him when he looted but then not killing him so his team mates came to revive him only to be gunned down by me lurking in a corner with an Uzi. I eventually got killed and because I dont speak Mandarin I was miles from my team. I quite enjoyed spectating them though, they holed up in a building in the middle of the play area and basically just came under siege by team after team hoping to make their own stand in the central most building. Switched to UK and managed to get a close second, seriously thought I was going to win at one point, but somehow one guy managed to totally get the drop on all four of our squad at the last second, really dont know how, he just seemed to appear.

Really enjoyed every game I played, even though its a competitive game, its never really aggravating or frustrating to lose somehow. A lot of the fun is going through from parachuting out of the plane to avoiding people and exploring/looting whatever you can find (this sounds a bit like @DANGERMAN early life) and then making it to within the play area over and over. The constant threat of somebody being in the house you go to loot means that its always tense, and even if you land in a remote building and then find a car to drive about in you still wonder if somebody is going to make a roadblock or just snipe you right out of it.

Oh, one of my games yesterday was a little bit non fun actually, well it was more odd, when the 3 man squad I got placed into decided to kidnap me. It was funny for a bit but then I just wanted to play and they started being weird and taking their trousers off so I just left and then reported them for deliberate team killing.

54 minutes ago, Sambob said:

Oh, one of my games yesterday was a little bit non fun actually, well it was more odd, when the 3 man squad I got placed into decided to kidnap me. It was funny for a bit but then I just wanted to play and they started being weird and taking their trousers off...

This is how I imagine a forum get-together would go.

I knew this was becoming more and more popular but just read that this had sold 10 million on Steam, in around 150 days.... Not bad for an early access low budget game.

Had some more good games on this last night, including another 2nd place. Got a bit unlucky with the circle placement at the end and it landed basically right on top of the other team meaning my little group had to make a mad dash for it whilst they could stay in their cover and we just got decimated but thats the way of the circle, it is a fickle mistress. Had a great game with two very friendly mic users, whilst i was mute due to just having headphones. I managed to shoot somebody out of a car with a shotgun, it was truly amazing. He was attempting to run me over and i jumped out of the way at the last second and fired and KO'd him out of the car, I followed up with the coup de gras but then his mate came along and shot me before my team mates could rescue, but it was a really epic game. We parachuted way off the edge of the map and took our time looting and then the initial circle started on the total opposite side of the map, so we hopped in a boat and just went around the edge of the map and then gradually made our way to a good position inside the circle before the gas got us. It was here that the car duo came along and ruined it all, but up to that point it was ace with really good communication.

Going to get set up with a decent mic because whilst you dont really need to have one, the best games ive had have been with people all communicating well and its a pretty good community so far. I think the game is really going to take off, I mean, more than it has already...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I played one of the foggy maps too, it was really good, hearing cars and bikes zoom around but not being sure where they are, and being able to just hide by the road and not get noticed. It makes everything more tense because you dont know where people are but at the same times gives you a bit more confidence to make your way across the map and not be picked off by some of the better snipers in the game at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Played my first two matches with this earlier.

It's a really odd game, it immediately reminded me of DayZ, but the menus and UI just feel much more polished and nicer to use, the whole battle royal concept feels much more focused than DayZ too, in that I was just aimlessly wandering hoping to survive to the next building (and eventually hoping someone finished me off after a while of aimless boredom).

But yeah, this is much better but it feels very similar to play, just a bit slicker and more robust. 

The first game I was just kind of wandering about, you get quite paranoid I've found, I was always scanning the scenery to see any form of movement. Eventually when I got to a Warehouse I saw someone out the corner of my eye run up some stairs to an outhouse and it scared the shit out of me, I only had an axe and he started shooting at me, what followed was a tense face-off where I hid behind some crates to try to get the jump on him if he followed me into the warehouse, heart was beating out my chest but he never came.

After awhile I just legged it, heard a car engine out of nowhere, almost got ran over by the driver. Ran away but he got out the car and shot me to shit, that was the end of that. 56th for a first game isn't bad though I didn't think.

My second game went much better and for awhile I actually thought I might have a chance of winning it. Spent the entirety of the game camping on a rooftop and eventually got killed by being outside the specified zone like the n00b I am :lol: .

I actually killed someone though, was on my hiding spot on the roof, some dude was crouching down picking up something and I turned round and saw him, was a proper WTF moment, he scared the shit out of me and I panicked but managed to kill him.

578080_20171004185009_1.png

578080_20171004192025_1.png

A kill in your second game is pretty good. And also dying to the circle is nothing to be ashamed of, its claims even the veterans. The other day I was in a squad of four, had a great weapon, great gear, were in a fantastic position right outside the circle, ready to mop up the people trying to make their way in but just left it way too late and ended up running to keep up with the circle and that was that, one got picked off by gunfire and the rest of us died in the numerous attempts to revive each other. 

A good strategy once youve picked where you are going to parachute to, is to keep an eye out on the roads for any vehicles that have spawned, and then make that your first priority. With a vehicle you can safely drive to remote areas to loot and then easily make it to a nice spot well inside the circle and be all set up for the game.

Cheers for the advice, I've only really dabbled with the vehicles so far. Had two really hairy runs today where I had to get over the bridge between the main island and the one to the South, driving as fast as I could to outrun the circle. The first time ended predictably, despite my attempts to weave around and not be shot I got headshotted by someone on the bridge :lol: the second time in a buggy I somehow ended up avoiding most of the shots (a couple injured me) and made my way to the other side, scampering off into the woods.

How do the squads work, is it still 100 people, but just split up into teams of 4 or 2?

Played it a lot the night after my original post and managed to get 5th in one of the games, my best finish so far and was pretty chuffed with that, it's ridiculously tough have small that circle gets, absolutely crazy at the end.

Last night I played some more, I couldn't put it down actually, that 'one more game' mentality kicked in and I kept wanting to improve, damn this is ridiculously addictive. Managed to come 2nd in one game, so so close -_- ended up in the smallest circle of them in, a random hill-top with no cover apart from a Jeep that had been parked nearby. I just laid down beside it and hoped they'd all kill each other, but then I saw the '2' in the top right screen and I thought 'oh shit, I'm gonna have to shoot this other guy if I want to win'. I only had a Pistol though and he was geared up with so many weapons, body armour etc. Managed to fire quite a few shots at him and actually thought I had a chance of killing him at one point but he eventually headshotted me with his rifle, still, I was very chuffed with 2nd place.

It really is such an interesting game, and I can definitely see why it's so popular on Twitch. It's a game about stories and the maddest shit can happen when you least expect it, you can jump out of a moving Jeep and accidentally kill yourself, trundle up a staircase in a random house with no ammo to see a guy sitting at the top with his AK47's barrel aimed at your face, see folks swimming across huge swathes of water to avoid the circle of death. It's just bonkers and so so random.

Now I've played more I definitely think there's a bit of Rainbow Six Siege in this as well. That tension when you can hear someone outside wandering about, you've got the barrel of your gun aimed at the door and are just waiting for the moment they burst in so you can (hopefully) plug them with a load of led, it's just ridiculously tense and times and ridiculously satisfying when you get a kill, there's so much weight to the shots, the sound design is genuinely incredible. For the first time I'm considering getting a mechanical keyboard, just to play this.

Here's a stream of my late night games on this the other day:

And my best scores:

578080_20171005013715_1.png

578080_20171005034520_1.png

Yeah, there's definitely a big hide and seek element to it @Nag.

A lot of your time is spent hiding in houses/huts/sheds with a gun to the door to make sure you're ready if anyone comes in. Then when the play area shrinks you have 2 minutes or so on average (less the further the game goes on) to get to the new smaller play area, if you don't get to this in time you're dead.

So what you want to do is either be extremely lucky and be in the place where later areas are going to shrink down to right at the beginning of the game (that's how I got that no. 5 ranking above primarily) or you run the gauntlet between hiding spots as the play-area circle (AKA circle of doom) gets smaller and smaller. 

You don't start out with any weapons, health kits or anything, everything you've got to scavenge on the battlefield.

The squads are still 100 players but either 25 teams for 4 player or 50 teams for 2 player. 

I got second place last night, played the whole game so well and then my team lost their shit in the final circle and then we had this comedy revive each other thing and then got picked off. I'm regularly getting top five now, and my ability to get kills when needed is becoming much more reliable but in those final situations I'm still second best. 

Plucked up the courage to go for one of the air drop crates last night and got some great stuff from it, got a ghillie suit and an 8x zoom scope and so was basically an invisible sniper. I can see now how I've previously been killed and absolutely not seen who it was that killed me in the past because the ghillie suit is virtually undetectable. 

@Nag there is definitely a good hide and seek element to it, and planning your route from point to point is very important too because you will definitely have to move most games, you can't rely on camping. Most of the time though if you want to be the last man standing out of 100 people then you are going to need to get a few kills and be in a few confrontations. The game is actually a lot more fun when you are regularly in some sort of interaction with the enemy, had a few crazy car chases the other day and it was hilarious. 

It's a really great game and yeah as @Blakey said it's easy to see why it's so popular because it doesn't necessarily have that infuriating thing that many online competitive shooter games have. It has a lot of variety for basically the same thing over and over and despite it not at all having the micro reward 'you are fucking awesome' approach that most games nowadays have for progression, you can really feel your own sense of improvement from playing the game. It's a little like a monster Hunter game in the learning curve, first few games you will basically be hiding and not maybe taking risks, and you will absolutely miss every shot you take, and then you will decide to go hunting a few players but maybe pick the wrong engagements and then eventually your experience helps you be in the right place at the right time and you begin to get the jump on the noobs whereas before you were always walking into a shotgun barrel and it goes from there. 

• 2 months later...

Got this on Xbox, it's mega janky at the moment, stuff spawns in after you land and kills you, frame rate is pretty low, controls janky and a bit confusing. To be fair you'd get used to that last one and it is in early access but I'd definitely recommend leaving it for now. Only had a few games but no point getting annoyed with it, I'll try it again when/if they improve it.