passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection

Sambob

I was never on board with the Uncharted-TR comparisons. Yes, they're both adventure games. But Mass Effect and Halo are both Sci-Fi games, too.

I'm not saying they're polar opposites and I'm willing to admit the reboot took some inspirations from Uncharted in how it presented its action set-pieces. But Uncharted is a linear romp that switches between climbing and shooting. Tomb Raider gives you more freedom to explore, particularly form Rise onward, and is way closer to a Metroid or Arkham Asylum game design. It's just a more engaging gameplay experience IMO compared to the linear cinematic design from Uncharted. I've only ever played Uncharted 2 which for the majority of the franchise's fanbase seems to be the best game in the series and I think it was okay, but nothing more. The gunplay isn't remotely as tight and fun enough for the amount of goons you have to shoot. The other ingredients are better but they never really manage to make up for the shooting ranges you have to blast through.

Not for me @Nag. I will say that TR 2013 and SotTR get close to U4 for me but nothing surpasses that, one of my fave games of this generation. 

But yeah, I do think the recent TR games are great too, I don't rate RotTR at all personally but the other 2 are great.

U1 - I played for about 1 hr, and it seems okay so far, a bit of light puzzling, some climbing, a number of cut scenes and perhaps already a bit too much shooting, but I'll stick with it. Not too sure how long it's going to be though, as my save file suggests I'm 20% in already (I've just bailed out of the burning aeroplane).

Oh yeah, the loveable rogue Nathan is the arbiter of death. Popping of heads with a glint in his eye and a cheeky wise crack. 

Spoiler

Apart from the start of the second game where he develops a conscious about it for the opening sequence, but soon the blood lust takes hold again.

3 hours ago, Nag said:

It's probably the closest thing to Gears of War on Playstation... with added climbing.

I've never played it but I've heard Binary Domain is a Gears clone, which was on PS3.

My list would be something like:

U4

TR 2013

SotTR

U2

U1

RotTR

U3.

@bellow

4 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Oh yeah, the loveable rogue Nathan is the arbiter of death. Popping of heads with a glint in his eye and a cheeky wise crack. 

Reveal hidden contents

I suppose what bugs me is that there's been no strong narrative (so far) to support his criminal/murderous activities.

The only thing going for him is a bit of sympathy that Sully got shot, by someone who was owed a lot of money, but he's also been a bit of a douche whenever Elena turns up too.

But maybe that's just me looking at a 2007 narrative with a 2020 viewpoint, and that we perhaps expect a bit more now than we did then.

56 minutes ago, Blakey said:

I've never played it but I've heard Binary Domain is a Gears clone, which was on PS3.

Nah, BD was an action RPG. The only real similarities was that there was an element of cover shooting. IT had this awesome personality that really makes me wish it had been added on 360 BC.

Anyway, personally I love both Uncharted and TR, but for me TR ekes out the Uncharted series.

U3 and 4 were great, 1 was a cool intro to the series and 2 was sublime, but the open-world stuff of Lara's revival beats the corridor shooter/action move of Uncharted.

Going back to 1 specifically though,  I thought it was a great start t a new series. It was different. IT gave Naughty Dog a real sense of direction. It was beautiful when it first came out.

Good news - there's a change in gameplay

Bad news - it's the part with the jetski

Only had time for a quick couple of turns in the area, and just enough to work out tactics to get through it. Rather than a speedy high paced blast, I think it's a slow methodical pick off snipers then barrels approach that's required.

Uncharted 2 is a real step up from the first game - that's when the series goes from good to great. Uncharted 3 steps up the individual set-pieces and iterates on the gameplay, but lacks coherence with its obviously designed-by-set-piece story, which leads to it being an overall worse experience even if better in miniature. Uncharted 4 evolves the series into something much more calmly paced (for Uncharted) and character driven and is excellent for it, and a particular highlight is its foray into wide-linear pseudo open world design for one particular chapter.

Basically, don't judge the series by the first game - it has its positives that make it worth playing, but it's the worst of the lot.

2 hours ago, Maf said:

Also as much as most of us are saying the second one is better it’s still a really shooter heavy game. That is what this series is.

I genuinely didn't know that before I started, and thought there would be more exploration and puzzles.