passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Batman: Arkham Knight

DisturbedSwan

I've not managed to sink a huge amount of time in to this but I have very much enjoyed what I have played.

This is just my kind of game. There's lots of stuff to do all the time, it controls like a dream and the story is aces. Asylum hooked me in right at the start and I'm still here, just loving it.

I could take the criticism that it can get pretty samey pretty quick but I enjoy doing what the game offers so I'm happy doing it.

Well I have just finished it; the main story at least. I don't think I'll ever do all the side missions and Riddler trophies to get the proper ending, so I might just YouTube the ending one day.

The is technically pretty damn amazing in what they've managed to achieve without the whole thing falling apart. Every system transitions really smoothly and offers up this broad and very high quality game. Switching from tank to car then right to diving out and gliding into a fist fight is seemless in a way that I've never seen before. I have no idea how they got all the mechanics to flow together so well.

The main story is fine, its just that it is just fan service. I've been mulling it over thinking what it's actually about, and to avoid spoilers for now, it seems to be about really little things considering the scale of the game and what was at stake. It's all a bit daft. But it is a comic book story I suppose. I guess the other games were like that, too, but with the almost Die Hard style structure to the game the petty fighting with super villains worked. I still think this series got too big for itself.

Too big, full of open world nonsense that I really don't enjoy and not enough humanity in the story. Incredibly well made, though, and certainly has gameplay stuff I'd like to see in a game in the future that is about something.

PC version still busted? Is it refundable if you've played less than 2hrs?

Yes, and yes.

I ordered from cdkeys so I can't refund. That said it was £14 so I guess I got what I paid for

Yeah, I was in the same boat, ordered from CDKeys too, so couldn't get a refund, just ploughed on through but it wasn't the best of experiences.

Finished the main game.

The ending was pretty cool. Some of the story stuff was cool in general even though I didn't like Batman's "character" in the game at all.

Bits of the trial and error gameplay towards the end was abit shit and I don't think I'll be playing any more of the side missions as they're kinda samey.

But it's a really good Batman game, I enjoyed it a lot. I'll probably pick up the Batgirl DLC at some point.

• 1 year later...

I really wasn't enjoying this when I stopped playing it. It didn't make a great first impression given how monumentally fucked it was, I kind of hated it. I kind of hated the batmobile, I definitely hated the Riddler stuff, there's too much bullshit. 

That said I put it on last night and did a few side missions, including those Batmobile landmine ones, actually kind of enjoyed it. I'm at a point in the story with multiple Jokers, the bit following that, and the bit with Harley Quinn are great. 

The game runs really well now too. Granted I've got a 970 and have the game on an SSD but it's really smooth now. I'm a bit torn on the looks though, it's a messy Joel Schumacher looking game, but it is kind of amazing 

Finished. I enjoyed the story way more as it went on, I think it probably has a better story than Arkham City. It's a shame they filled the game so full of side quests, the Riddler stuff especially, it goes beyond there being too much to the point where it's actually a detriment. The city lockdown missions (or whatever they're called), the ones where there's a road block, a spotlight tower or a mine, as soon as they're remotely difficult they're a pain in the arse

Some of the dlc stuff is pretty good. There's no doubt the season pass was a huge rip-off. I think I paid about £4 for it so I can't really complain, it filled a few hours, but at full price it would be scandalous. They seemed to learn from their mistakes a bit, they added a 'Gotham's Most Wanted' set of missions, which includes a bunch of bad guys that don't feature in the main game (Mad Hatter, Mr Freeze et al). A couple of these stories are good, a bit more final, and they offer new locations, as does the Batgirl DLC

The Mad Hatter one has a really cool shift in look

BatmanAK 2016-08-13 19-47-50-28.png

• 3 years later...

Giving this bash (as it was on PS+ a while ago).

I've never played any of the other Arkham games, and having just finished CoC I did initially give Shadow of War an hour (since my Mrs is enjoying it) but I didn't like the whole mash to attack button and occasionally counter approach to the combat.....

So it's Gotham's most incompetent Batman - stealth into fight, attack, oops that's R1, and a bat rope out of there. Or sticking the batmobile in the river many times, or throwing a smoke grenade rushing in, then not clearing the 4ft fence until the smoke has dispersed.

Yet when it does all come together, occasionally, it's pretty good fun  (although my batmobile 'stalled' on the bridge into Ace Chemicals, just froze there, wouldn't move, reload required).

FFS Batman, Robin keeps ringing offering to help, will you just say 'yes please!"

15 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

I've never played any of the other Arkham games

Do yourself a favour and play Asylum after this or maybe just instead of this. Knight wasn't a total disaster but Asylum is one of the top games of last generation.

I've hit a point during the Riddler's puzzles to release Catwoman that's just too damned annoying that's it's not fun anymore - it's the third button where you have to power eject from the batmobile then glide, making a couple of 90° turns through a tunnel of rotating blades then along to hit the button - whilst hitting any part of the wall means you fail (due to loss of glide). 

Fccuk you Batman - rage quit !