passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rise of the Tomb Raider

radiofloyd

The sequel to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot has just been announced during Microsoft's E3 press conference. It's called Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Due in 2015, the game's CG trailer showed a hooded Lara Croft (once again voiced by Camilla Luddington) in therapy - presumably after the events of the first game.

Interspersed with that are shots of Croft, bow and pickaxe in hand, climbing a mountain and creeping through a cave. She creeps up behind an enemy and fires a bolt straight into his head. Watch the trailer below:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-09-tomb-raider-reboot-sequel-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-announced

Not a lot to take away from it but I'm glad it's getting made.

But the title is bloody awful, do away with it... I see what they're fucking doing with that choice of words... It's nearly as bad as Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

... In fact it might be worse.

• 2 months later...

Rise of the Tomb Raider will be an Xbox One exclusive

Microsoft has announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, the sequel to last year's reboot of the famous action adventure series, will launch exclusively on Xbox One in late 2015.

This is not a timed exclusive, but a genuine one, as confirmed by Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," he writes. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

"This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4."

Genuine third-party exclusives are rare as hen's teeth these days, so the deal with publisher Square Enix - announced on stage by Microsoft's Phil Harrison - represents a considerable coup for the platform holder.

It's also worth noting that this deal will pit Rise of the Tomb Raider's release on Xbox One up against Uncharted 4 on PS4 in the same timeframe

Well blow me, I didn't see that coming. I'll find a way to play it I guess.

Probably the 'Definitive Edition' will be a multiformat release in 2016 (someone else said that, but I second it).

Some obvious business dealings have gone on here and it's not a good thing for the buying public. It's not like MS saved the new Tomb Raider from obscurity like what happened with Bayonetta 2... this is just Square-Enix wanting something upfront. Yay for greed!

Fucking wankers. That's my statement. Pretty clear cut I think.

I mean, for fuck's sake. TR is one of last year's best games, so for the sequel to skip PS4 is pretty shit. Square Enix were whinging about TR's sales, that they hadn't made a bajillion dollars. The solution? Make the sequel Xbone exclusive.

So again, fucking wankers.

Without wanting to sound like I'm sour that the game is exclusive to the platform I don't own, because I am a bit, I'd like to play the Tomb Raider sequel, it is a bit of a shame. I do get why MS have got it, it's a big name game on their platform, but at the same time I can't see people rushing out to buy an Xbox just for Tomb Raider, it's just not that sought after a series anymore. So as others have said I'm not sure it will do the numbers all involved want

That said if I owned an Xbox I'd buy it, the last one was outstanding

"This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4."

Obviously not meant that way, but that's such a dickish statement. It's similar to the "we have a product for people who aren’t able to to be always online. It’s called Xbox 360.” comment from last year.

I don't know if that means it's not even coming to the PC or just not for some undetermined period of time, which sucks because I liked the reboot, but I'm not going to be able to play it in the forseeable future so I don't really need to pay attention to it any more.

I get why people are saying "a definitive version will hit ps4 eventually". But if MS are publishing it, that's not going to happen, right?It'd be like Bayonetta 2 going multiplatform.

And yeah, that "you're still getting a Tomb Raider game" doesn't help. See that ace next gen TR? Well,have something else instead. Granted, it looks good. But it's not the same thing at all.

Would have been nice if when they previously revealed it, they went "coming soon. Not for Platstation or PC though.".

Someone on Twitter suggested they did this as the original didn't hit Square Enix's fucking insane projections. And if Microsoft hadn't stepped in, there'd be no sequel. Can't say I agree with that.

the details of how and why are pretty much irrelevant.

The details are hugely important.

Without Nintendo publishing Bayonetta 2 it wouldn't exist. It would just exist in the collective minds of Platinum Games.

If MS didn't make that deal with Squeenix it would be coming to PS4 and PC, let's just be real.

That sorts out the dudes from the cunts quite easily.