passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Witness by Jon Blow

Hendo

Surprised there wasn't already a thread on it.

http://youtu.be/i7h7AleSCF4

Indie developer Jonathan Blow has insisted Sony didn't pay for The Witness console exclusivity.

Blow took to the stage during Sony's PlayStation 4 conference on Wednesday night to announce that The Witness would come to the console exclusively.

In a follow-up interview Blow told Kotaku this means The Witness is a PS4 console exclusive, and may come to the PC and mobile platforms at launch also - if the developer can manage it.

"Our deal with Sony is a limited-time exclusivity that applies only to competing console platforms," Blow said. "Basically it is that you will see the game on the PlayStation 4 before you will see it on the Wii U or the next Microsoft console, if the game ever appears on either of those (whether it appears on those consoles eventually is purely up to whatever future arrangements might happen between us and Nintendo/Microsoft/Random Publishers/Whoever)."

Blow said he signed the dotted line with Sony as a natural progression of the interest the company showed in the game, not because they paid him.

"People have been speculating that I got a money hat for this agreement with Sony, or that we needed to do this in order to fund development of The Witness. Actually, no money was involved at all," he said.

After deciding the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii U weren't powerful enough for The Witness, it came down to the PlayStation 4 and the next Xbox. That's when Sony stepped in.

"There were people at Sony who really liked the game and were keeping in touch with us about it, and so we naturally started going to their PS4 developer events, got a dev kit, and started playing with it.

"I don't have good communication with anyone at Microsoft right now, and haven't been disclosed on their next console, but all our technical people like the PS4 specs a lot more than the leaked Durango specs, and we like the positioning of the PS4 (it's about games) a lot more than what we perceive Microsoft's positioning is going to be.

"So we just found ourselves doing a PS4 port. And once we are doing that, it is not practical for us also to think about another console port. We were going to be a de facto console exclusive for Sony no matter what. As I mentioned, there are people at Sony who are very interested in The Witness, so they somehow percolated up through the ranks the idea of showing the game in the launch show.

"Of course, Sony wants that show to point out things that are going to be exclusive or special to their console. So to be in the show we signed a timed exclusivity for competing consoles. But this was just a formalisation of something that was already de facto. We like the PS4 and we like the people at Sony we are working with, so it was an easy choice to make the agreement."

Described as "a game about epiphany," The Witness will be open world and will take at least 25 hours to complete.

And to compare with how it looked a couple of years ago....

http://youtu.be/EN4q2dtxkHk

Good for them, nice to see sony playing nice with the smaller developers again, I remember the awesome days when you would get those little indy games on the PS1. Id never heard of the witness until this video, looks like the modern day Mist.

Still really want to get my hands on this but I'm a little disappointed with the "puzzles" that are dotted around. Coming from Blow, I was expecting something a bit more tangible within the world to solve rather than ever more elaborate mazes.

The world you're in is going to have to be very interesting indeed to take some of the focus off the fact you're doing the same thing over and over.

• 3 months later...

Nice poster.

WitnessPoster_610.jpg

The Witness is not getting a retail release, but seeing this poster makes you wish it was just so it could have a box that looks like this.

The creator of The Witness, Jonathan Blow, posted the poster on the game's official blog page. The poster was created for appearance in

that premiered right at the start of E3. You have to look closely for it, but you can see the poster on a wall at around the

It's easy to understand why Blow decided to release a high-definition version of the poster online, since it's barely noticeable in the commercial.

For more on The Witness, check out our E3 preview.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/15/this-poster-for-the-witness-makes-you-wish-it-had-a-retail-box.aspx

• 2 years later...

The Witness, Jonathan Blow's long-awaited follow-up to Braid, will be out on 26th January for PS4, the developer has announced.

The game had been delayed quite a lot as Blow was originally hoping to get it ready around the PS4's launch nearly two years ago. "We originally thought The Witness would be coming out toward the end of the PS4 launch window, but... there's just been a lot to do," Blow said on the PlayStation Blog. "I think when the game is in your hands, you'll find it to be intricate and deep, and also unlike anything else you have played."
"I figured it would have between eight and 12 hours of playtime. As it happens, the game we've finally built is around 10 times as big as that," Blow explained. "If you are a completionist who wants to wring every last drop out of the game, you might expect to play for 80 hours, or possibly 100. For people who don't want to go quite that far, the game's still got plenty for you."
Witness how The Witness is shaping up up in its new release date trailer below:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-17-the-witness-release-date-set-for-january

Needs a weird English gent with a big hat.

Or insert whatever Myst reference you want here. I never played it so I don't know any.

Likewise, I can't say I'm interested if it's just a constant stream of line puzzles. It's taken him nearly 6 years, so presumably there's something else to it.

Loved the style and concept of this around when it got first announced, after the numerous delays I thought it had just vanished into the ether to be honest, pleased to see it's back and now got a (hopefully) firm release date in January 2016.

Not played Braid, so can't comment on Jonathan Blow's previous games, but The Witness shows a lot of promise I think.

• 3 months later...
Long Screenshot 1:
Long Screenshot 2:
Also Jonathan Blow said here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/09/17/the-witness-launches-on-ps4-january-26-2016/ that it's now a MUCH bigger game than originally intended and will take 80-100 hours to 100% complete:
There’s a lot here. When we started making this game, I figured it would have between 8 and 12 hours of playtime. As it happens, the game we’ve finally built is around 10 times as big as that: if you are a completionist who wants to wring every last drop out of the game, you might expect to play for 80 hours, or possibly 100. For people who don’t want to go quite that far, the game’s still got plenty for you.

1 week to go!

Seems I'm the only one that's still excited for this...

Price has been confirmed at £29.99/€36.99/$39.99:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/01/19/the-witness-will-be-priced-at-29-99-in-uk-39-99-in-north-america/

The price for The Witness has been confirmed as £29.99/$39.99/36.99, with pre-orders going live from today on Steam and Humble. There will be no pre-order option on PSN due to that having to be set up quite some time in advance, which Thekla Inc didnt know. There are no pre-order bonuses on offer though so youre not missing out on any content should you decide to wait to purchase.

Jonathan Blow started work on The Witness over six years ago, and at the time was pegged to release on multiple platforms in 2011. The Witness got bigger than anticipated though, with the original 8 to 10 hour length becoming a thing of the past. Now The Witness will last around 80 to 100 hours, if youre going for 100% completion. The Witness was supposed to be part of the PS4 launch line up, but missed that by quite a way as work continued on refining the title. It was only a few months ago that the January 26th release date was confirmed, and now thats just a week away.

Yesterday a listing on the ESRB board had The Witness rated for Xbox One, though an official announcement for that has not yet taken place.

Source: The Witness site

It's going to have to take a steep discount for me to click buy on this game, but I know I will eventually (if it gets good reviews). I was way too stupid for Braid though. An indie game I regret buying unfortunately. (Indie games are so much better now than they were then).

Yeah, it's probably more than many expected, especially for an 'Indie' game but then it's a MUCH bigger game than many expected as well and has been in development for 7 years so I don't begrudge them pricing it that high at all, Sly's right though, it will, unfortunately, affect sales.

Also, Floyd, I thought Braid was meant to be awesome? Never played it but only heard good things, you didn't get on with it?

Yeah, it's probably more than many expected, especially for an 'Indie' game but then it's a MUCH bigger game than many expected as well and has been in development for 7 years so I don't begrudge them pricing it that high at all, Sly's right though, it will, unfortunately, affect sales.

Also, Floyd, I thought Braid was meant to be awesome? Never played it but only heard good things, you didn't get on with it?

It is awesome. You should play it.

It's a puzzle game that involves manipulating time and thinking outside the box. Manipulating time is no problem, I do it every day, but thinking outside the box? No can do. In all seriousness, it was really hard, I barely made any progress in it. I remember you had to move a key around the map, it was so annoying. I'm sure there are people on here that loved it though...Nag probably beat it with his eyes closed.