passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Kickstarter Thread

Sly Reflex

With Wasteland 2 out now and Torment: Tides of Numenera in full production, developer inXile Entertainmen appears to be looking to the future.

RPG Codex spotted a couple of trademarks filed recently by Roxy Friday, a company set up by inXile founder Brian Fargo for this very purpose - and they're certainly eye-catching. The first is for Meantime. Meantime was a timetravel role-playing game in development at Interplay in the '80s as a follow-up to the original Wasteland, but it was cancelled. Could inXile be preparing to revive it?

The second is for Van Buren. This is where Fallout fans get excited. Van Buren was the codename for what was going to be Black Isle's Fallout 3 before parent company Interplay went bust. Elements of its design were revealed years ago - and Fallout fans have wondered what might have been ever since.

Could inXile be preparing to release a game under the Van Buren name? If so, it will surely be considered the spiritual successor to Fallout 1 and 2.

So, what has Brian Fargo had to say about this revelation?

In response to the Meantime discovery, he tweeted, "The codex investigative unit strikes again."

We asked Fargo for a comment on the news, and here's what he said: "Those sure sounds like interesting concepts to me."

Stay tuned, it seems.

The Fallout franchise is owned by Bethesda, which is reportedly working on Fallout 4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-10-wasteland-developer-inxile-trademarks-van-buren-and-meantime

Developer Frontier Developments has released an Elite: Dangerous launch trailer just ahead of the game's full release this week.

Elite Dangerous is official released on December 16. The game will be priced at £39.99/$59.99/€49.99 through Frontier's online store. A £35/$50/€40 Elite Dangerous Mercenary Edition, which includes a number of digital bonuses, is also available to customers who pre-order the game.

Mac version of the title is planned for release about three months after the PC one, while Frontier boss David Braben has said the company "would be stupid not to support other platforms, including console", further down the line.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/482491/elite-dangerous-launch-trailer-takes-off/

• 2 months later...
The new Toejam and Earl game teased earlier this month has finally been announced as a Kickstarter project by the series designer Greg Johnson and his studio Humanature.

Johnson explained in his Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove pitch video that the original game's two sequels (1993's Panic in Funkotron and the 2002 Xbox-exclusive Toejam & Earl 3: Mission to Earth) weren't true to his vision of where the series should head, but were rather him meeting the demands of Sega who insisted he radically deviate from the designs he wanted.

But this time there's no publisher, so Johnson can do whatever he wants with the series. And what's that, you ask? A true successor to the original game with an isometric perspective, 2D sprites, and an emphasis on exploration and cooperative play.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-25-toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove-rocket-skates-to-kickstarter

Harmonix has released the first gameplay trailer and revealed the Team Multiplayer mode for its upcoming Amplitude reboot.

“Team play is something we’d never done in Amplitude before, and allowing players to team up 2v2 or even 3v1 sounded like an amazing way to even the playing field without disrupting the current design,” art director Ryan Lesser said in a PlayStation Blog post. “We decided to give it a shot, and after some iteration and tweaking, we are proud to say that it’s already super fun.”

In addition to Team Multiplayer, the game also offers the classic Free-For-All Multiplayer mode. Team Multiplayer will be playable at Harmonix’s booth during PAX East in Boston this weekend.

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/amplitude-first-gameplay-trailer-team-multiplayer-revealed

• 4 weeks later...

Pillars of Eternity reviews:

PC Gamer - 92

IGN - 9

Destructoid - 8.5

Eurogamer - "Recommended"

RockPaperShotgun

I want this game so bad.

Also, Broken Age Act 2 is out on April 29.

These are some of the notable kickstarter successes of 2015:

Project Scissors: NightCry

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Thimbleweed Park

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove

Underworld Ascendant

And these games have all been released:

Dead State

Defense Grid 2
Divinity: Original Sin
Dreamfall Chapters
Jagged Alliance: Flashback
Project Eternity (Pillars of Eternity)
Also, you could add these forum threads to the released games list:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ORIGINAL STORY 5.00pm: Playtonic, the new developer founded by former Rare veterans, has launched its Kickstarter campaign for Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor Yooka-Laylee.

The project has a crowd-funding goal of £175k, and a projected release window of autumn 2016.
The game's two stars have already been revealed. Yooka is a lovable-looking chameleon who can use his tongue to grapple across long distances and scoop up items to give himself different properties. Meanwhile, Laylee is a maniacal bat who hangs off Yooka's ears and carries him around levels. He can also use a sonar attack.
Yooka-Laylee includes five worlds, expandable levels and hundreds of collectibles. But its team of ex-Rare developers have grander ambitions. If Yooka-Laylee hits its stretch goals, it will launch simultaneously on all of its platforms: PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, Wii U and Xbox One. Split-screen multiplayer will also be included.
UPDATE 5.35pm: Well, that escalated quickly. Yooka-Laylee has smashed through its £175k Kickstarter campaign in less than an hour.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-01-playtonic-launches-250k-yooka-laylee-kickstarter-campaign

Sitting at £550,000 now...

Over £1.1 million and 31,000 backers in a day...

That's impressive, I didn't realise there was that much nostalgia for Banjo Kazooie. I haven't backed it as I don't really have a history with Rare games.

I think that name is horrible.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

$1.2 million (of $500,000 goal) from nearly 16,000 backers at the time I write this. And a month to go.

It sounds like they had external investors lined up for most of the cost, and the Kickstarter was partly to raise the rest of the funding they needed, and partly to prove the project was viable to the investors.

I'm never sure about those sort of deals from a third party investors point of view. The Kickstarter has to be eating your potential sales. it means a lot of the people who would buy the game have put in their money already. I guess it works out financially, or they wouldn't still be making these deals.

I've never been massively into these games, so I'll be watching this one from the sidelines.