passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shin Megami Tensei / Persona News

HandsomeDead

Talked about this in the Destiny 2 thread (naughty us) but im a total noob to this, its passed me by somehow, cant somebody tell me what the thing is with this? I am super happy to get on any hype train thats going about, but it just looks like a run of the mill jrpg to me.

Normal jrpgs, like your Final Fantasy etc tend to be quite take. Shin Megami has you killing God, genocide, and murdering people, not in a Gia kind of a way, more in an upsetting America kind of a way. 

Persona is somewhere in between. It's high school drama, except the drama is people getting murdered and dangled off phone wires, maybe shooting yourself in the face to release your powers, and the dungeons are spawned from characters repressed homosexuality and the like 

Gameplay is not entirely dissimilar to Pokemon in the rock, paper, scissors style, except Shin Megami came years before. There's generally a bit of humour to it, and Jack Frost is a boss

@Nagyeah, early on you're going to just use the same moves (zio or whatever) for most enemies in a dungeon because that's what they're weak to. Eventually you'll have a mix of enemies attacking you with different weaknesses, but it never gets much more complicated than that, only harder 

ive been hovering over the purchase button on this a few times but never done it in the end, dunno why but just everytime i see footage of it it jut looks a bit meh. Starting to think its some sort of huge inside joke that I just dont get. It looks like a standard ps2 era jrpg affair from all the stuff ive seen so far.

yeah it kind of is, a bit snappier I guess but standard Shin Megami mechanics, but then that's kind of what Pokemon is

I'm not trying to get you to like it, if you don't like proper jrpgs then you probably wont, but they're good at what they do

It is an acquired taste, I ummed and arred over getting P4 Golden on Vita years back and trying out the series for ages before finally taking the plunge.

And it opened my eyes to JRPGs, a genre I'd rarely touched outside Pokémon and failed attempts at FF.

The dungeons aren't great and the combat is the standard turn-based affair, but none of that matters as the characters and the small-town they put you in are just incredible.

It is the only game I've ever played where I felt like I was truly hanging out with my friends in, it perfectly encapsulates that small town Japanese feel too and by half way through I knew where everything was located in the town like the back of my hand.

Not played any of the others in the series or SMT, so I have no idea how they compare but I adored P4G and it is one of my GGOAT.

As far as footage goes, to someone not familiar to the series I see why you may be underwhelmed, they're all about the characters, groups, ambience and environment as well as deep things like emancipation, being gay, being insecure and other things like that, and all that is difficult to show off if you're not in the game world experiencing it for yourself, getting immersed in this vivid world hanging out with virtual friends.

So yeah I'd say go for it @Sambob;) as long as you go in with an open mind I think you'll like it, reviews are out on the 29th and they're almost definitely going to be glowing.

Buy it physically and you can always sell it if you don't get on with it anyway.

in other Shin Megami news, Strange Journey, the DS game that isn't technically a fully fledged Shin Megami Tensei sequel, but actually is, no idea why it didn't have a number... anyway, it's being remade for the 3DS with a slightly altered story as Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey

I think I saw them mention that there would be difficulty options, I hope so because I got stuck and never went back :( but it was great while it lasted 

Saw this in the Eurogamer comments, pretty good going.

Impressively, this game is currently sitting at a 94 on Metacritic. It's the first 90+ game for PS4 this year, and actually the console's highest-rated game by critics since the re-releases of GTAV and The Last of Us back in 2014.

We'll see if it holds onto that spot, but either way it's a pretty big deal for a genre that is usually a very hard sell to gaming journalists (the last time a JRPG Metascored at least a 90 was Fire Emblem: Awakening in 2013).

Yeah I'm not gonna spoil any of this for myself at all, want to take it all in and savour it after all this time.

I loved the start of P4 as well, set the scene perfectly and introduced you to all your friends perfectly, wouldn't change it for the world.

Persona 5 ships 1.5 million copies

The celebrated new Atlus RPG, Persona 5, has now shipped 1.5 million copies. According to DualShockers, publisher Atlus announced the figure today.

The PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 game launched in September last year in Japan, and finally came to North America and Europe earlier this week.

There is no word on how Persona 5's 1.5 million shipment figure compares to past entries in the series.

In other news about Persona 5, Atlus this week announced a streaming policy that threatens people who show off too much of the game's story. Additonally, Atlus has blocked the PlayStation 4's sharing features while playing the game.

Atlus is supporting Persona 5 with a lot of DLC--both free and paid. Here is a rundown of all the content that's coming to the game in the future.

GameSpot's Persona 5 review scored the game a 9/10. For more on the game's critical reaction, check out this roundup of review scores.