passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wii U

Hendo

Lively launch day for the Wii U!

Wii U Launch - What Went Wrong

That debug menu story is pretty funny, Eurogamer have Nintendo's response to it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-19-wii-u-user-able-to-access-mock-up-menu-with-unannounced-games

Here's the original neogaf thread:

I think i either hacked the Wii U Miiverse or i am stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone done the wii transfer? work ok?

i'm currently spending my old wii points on stuff ready, although it says it copies over the points as well so i'd assume you can still spend them in the wii store on the wiiu anyway...

the wheels on the controller cradle are really cool.

So how is the console and the online fetures? Any thoughts or opinions? I was considering picking one up after the new year for Monster Hunter. Is the Wii U worth the $349 asking price?

online features? if you mean stuff like multiplayer i don't know. the other online stuff that is integrated is like a forum + twitter + drawings or something, seems pretty cool but not sure i'll use it much. the web browser, like Lakitu said in the other thread, is surprisingly good, and fast. is it worth the price? i think that's quite subjective. consoles are never exactly bargains on launch (except gamecube maybe?), but personally i'm pretty sure it'll have enough games i like over it's life to make it worth it.

i chickened out of the wii transfer for now, and am playing zombi u on chicken mode.

I just glanced over this. Awful article. Ack!

It's not a 5gb update btw so I'm not sure how many of their other amazing facts are true.

That was a typo on my part, it said 2Gb in there and I think that's kind of what I'd heard in general internet chatter.

So far, this launch does NOT remind me of the Wii launch.

People generally seem a little bit meh, obviously its new and shiny so its still very cool and some of the bundles in GAME are around 400 quid, but despite this i still sort of want one.

I enquired in my local GAME and they said only 4 people turned up for the midnight launch and they still had pre-orders waiting to be collected. The response in general seems altogether lukewarm. There doesn't seem to be any real buzz surrounding the console as there has been with previous launches.

I really do like the design of the Gamepad. I had some concerns about how comfortable it would be to hold for extended periods of time but it's actually extremely comfortable. The screen is surprisingly responsive considering it's resistive, whether using a fat finger or the stylus.

Hopefully it'll fair better once it comes down in price a bit and there's some more games out for it that aren't ports of existing titles.

I enquired in my local GAME and they said only 4 people turned up for the midnight launch and they still had pre-orders waiting to be collected. The response in general seems altogether lukewarm. There doesn't seem to be any real buzz surrounding the console as there has been with previous launches.

This is what I find most odd. I wasn't expecting it to sell like the Wii, I don't think anyone was, nor do I think Nintendo and the WiiU are dead in the water because they've not 8 million consoles within 2 weeks of sale. But they don't seem to have built any sort of hype for the console, there's a bit amongst their fanbase, but nothing anywhere else.

Some of it is supposedly deliberate, they'll sell fine up to this christmas by selling to the core, then word of mouth and people playing friends/family's WiiU will spur more sales. Then eventually, once they've got a couple of big games to push they'll go heavy on the ads. seems a dangerous tactic to me but it'll probably work for them

Next door has one, it was actually delivered to my house on the Thursday although I didn't see them until Friday to give it to them. I had no idea it was a WiiU either until I was told this morning. I was asked if I had one as the neighbours know I'm into them videogame things. I said no. I've been asked to go around and have a look sometimes. Even though it's only next door I still cannot be all that bothered. Unusual as normally I'd be willing to go out of my way to play a new console.

Well the weird thing for me, and its weird because ive never felt it before, is that I find myself not wanting it to do well/ being convinced that it wont. Im actually annoyed with how little it seems theyve actually done, its better than the other current gen consoles, but general consensus it that its not better by much, and certainly wouldnt take much to be bested.

I kind of feel like I did when Man utd sold Ronaldo, but didnt then buy the next best players in the world.

I don't feel like that at all, it's just taken a direction I'm not really all that interested in. If the reports are true about pre-orders left on shelves then we could be looking at a disaster. Either that or people are too broke to cough up for a new system. Recession and all that jazz.

We have a few consoles at work, tbh i have a chunk of tesco points and our christmas extra discount but im still not tempted. I remember getting the wii and being all excited but as much as i love a new toy the wii u doesn't do it for me at the moment. Needs a killer app, i mean ME3 and Batman have both been out for a while on other consoles. Although im betting by the end of march i will have one under the tele!

I just want to say I am having a fucking awful time at the moment because I don't have a Wii U: I want to play Nintendo Land, I want to play ZombiU, I want to browse the oddities like Little Inferno that they have on the eShop, I want to draw pictures of Mario with hidden cocks in him on the Miiverse, I want to play Sin & Punishment up-scaled a bit.

I can't do any of that and it's not fair.

^ could you use gc pads with sin and punishment? If so that's another reason I'm wary of doing the transfer.

Was it worth buying a 360 at launch on reflection, if any of you did?

I did, yeah pgr was ace but more of the same, and my most played game on it at the start was halo2 by a mile...not really sure if it was worth it on launch, but it worked out well in the end though.